Why are our adult children hostile to us? How do we handle it?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Monawrites profile image57
    Monawritesposted 14 years ago

Why are our adult children hostile to us? How do we handle it?

There were some circumstances when they were small that they don't seem to care to want to know about that caused us some poverty and other things, if we turn our backs they get worse than ever threatening to not allow us to see our grandchildren. It is RARE that they ever thank us, we are now caring for one of their kids (our daughter is a drug addict, and he is brain damaged because of  it we are getting him all the help we can find!) we are called on the carpet for our good actions and often treated as their peers, we thought that we taught them respect, what would you do?

2. Mr. Happy profile image70
    Mr. Happyposted 14 years ago

I live in a world where greed, selfishness and profit rule the day. I see wars, famine and disease. I see nuclear aircraft carriers still being built and I wonder why that money was not put into building schools or hospitals. I see religion causing death and Mother Earth is in a state of distress... I see pain and the older generations seem to be proud ... what are you proud of?

3. Monawrites profile image57
    Monawritesposted 14 years ago

I live in the same world. I am not proud of that, however, I didn't do that, I tried very, very hard to raise 5 decent citizens, I am proud of the efforts that I made, but I am not proud of all of them, it is hard to be proud of them because of their greed, self involvement and hostility.
    I am proud of my grandson, Only four years old and already living daily with the legacy of the brain damage he is suffering because of his mother's drug abuse. The realization of how much frustration that little boy must suffer daily is astounding, so I am proud to have been the one who stood up and said we need to do whatever it takes to make this better for him.
    I am proud of the personal changes that I have made in my life, my advocacy of different things, my help in the area of missing persons, my work as a NICU nurse practitioner.
    BUT I am not proud of some of my children,I do NOT wish to have them become a part of this world's problem and as I see it unless you are capable of giving, rather than complaining, you are a part of the problem.
    What I ask is what would YOU DO if you found yourself in the same situation that I am in. What have you done if you;ve been there, what will help to make it change.
    What are you proud of and how old are you?

4. Mireille G profile image60
    Mireille Gposted 14 years ago

This is our world and while it is not easy to change it, each one of us has the ability to do a little. No we will not stop the wars in the world but we can stop the wars in our family, with our neighbor, in our community. No we will not stop hunger and poverty, but we can give food or items to a local shelter. No we cannot build schools for every one but we can make our local school a little better by giving a little time to it.
    I am proud of my grandchild who like monawrites' grandson is overcoming huge difficulties caused by her parents selfishness. I am not proud of the way my son is a temporary father, who is perfectly happy to let me (singly) raise his child. But I accept the responsibility to having created this selfish man. I raised him, and pretty much gave him all I could. I made demands on him but something went wrong somewhere. I gave him values but somewhere they broke down. I am not proud of the mistakes I made, but I did not know at the time that they were mistakes. You only recognize it too late. It's like taking the road, you don't know it is the wrong one until it's too late or you would not have taken it.
    You cannot know what the upcoming generations will do, good or bad. Don't be too harsh each and every one of us does the best he/she can with the tools he/she has at the time.

5. Lee Boolean profile image60
    Lee Booleanposted 14 years ago

A humble opinion. The hostility starts when they are teenagers, going through the pain of leaving childhood. The problem is that we adults forget that we were much the same at their age.

Everyone who has had a teenager in the house will probably agree that they are most unpalatable at this age. Inevitably they start refusing to listen and do exactly the opposite of what they are supposed to, this is supposed to be a normal part of growing up.

Unfortunately parents are only human, and especially when they start getting spiteful and hurtful we tend to, as human beings, retaliate in much the same way. This tension can destroy the normal parent child relationship and sometimes leads to generations never talking to each other for years. I know a few of these cases. Usually you ask what happened, or rather when it happened you find out that it started somewhere in this horrible phase.

The best advice I can think of is to almost make a cold reset. Bury the hatchet and try to have a more mature relationship with them.
    I cannot begin to understand the trouble you are going through, but sometimes the root lies in issues you had with them at this age and somehow lost respect for each other.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

6. profile image0
    ThaddyBear Girlsposted 14 years ago

I raised two sons and I thank God everyday, they have never felt the need to disrespect me.  I think parents should start early in a child's life training them to respect their elders.  Sometimes children have serious issues going on that causes them to be hostile for instance drug addiction and mental illness.

7. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 14 years ago

hey when you love your loved ones that are ungrateful it comes with the territory.  Sometimes you have to rule with an iron fist (literally) to bring them back to reality!  Then again I may not know the entire reason behind their behavior, but children whether young or old sometimes hold grudges due to things that parents have done (if you are a parent you know that which I speak of) that has had a great affect on their lives as well as them mentally.  Instead of talking about it they choose to act out as well as use you---which some parents allow due to guilt.

8. Kaybomb31 profile image57
    Kaybomb31posted 14 years ago

I believe that you need to stop allowing your daughter to make you feel bad. I was an addict myself, and I know I prayed on that! She is in a place in her life where only the drugs matter, and nothing else. Even if you did make mistakes in your parenting, aren't we all human? You should refuse to allow her guilt trips to affect you anymore, and as much as it may pain you, you need to tell her there will be no more contact until she stops blaming you and starts taking her own personal ownership of her life and the mess it is in. In no way am I judging her, I was there. It was always poor me, I exhausted my family with my disease and it wasn't until I had enough that I kicked dope and changed. Never give up on her, but never be a victim of her addiction. It is not the way you raised her that caused her to abuse drugs, it is her disease. God Bless you!

9. Artin2010 profile image66
    Artin2010posted 14 years ago

Beautiful Girl, grow up strong and healthy.  After reading someone else's testimony about growing up with street smarts and having to handle life's storms on there own, I started thinking about my own situation with children and the difficulties of... read more

10. yazoogal43 profile image41
    yazoogal43posted 13 years ago

Hostility is a terrible thing and that is what your children are doing to you, they are blaming you for their fault and the child you obviously love more than they do. IGNORE THEM. GET AN EX PARTE. remember what goes around comes around.. quick

11. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
    Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years ago

Children are also humans ... like their parents ... products of single, live in, married ... Parents ... in a free for all, a without restraints, materialistic Society.

For in these days of high Interest rates, Foreclosures, Joneses, the Media's unrestricted Freedoms, Hollywood-ism and Inflation...

The kids, you think yours ... are "The Society's Adult children" !

And the Society they belong to, meaning, are born in, is an very hostile Society ... Following animal norms of Capitalism, Communism, Darwinism, Freud-ism, and Kinsey-ism ... and Chomsky-ism.

So don't be disheartened or be forlorn ... you did, what you could ... and as best as you could ... What they do, is their Fate, and Business ...

But you can do them one last favor ... Pray for them.

12. bonny2010 profile image60
    bonny2010posted 11 years ago

When my son was 15 and going through a stage in life he told me he did not love me. I replied " Thats Ok it matters not that you do not love me, because what is important to me is that I love you and always will."
    Today my son who is 36 and we are very close said that what I said that day has never left him and during his hard times he always fell back on that. Why because he realised the only person he had to prove anything too was himself and that regardless of what he made of himself I would always love him.

13. Penny G profile image60
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

Read the bible we were warned of this, it's all part of the signs and plans .  It hurts but in the end we can only hope they will know the truth and we will see them in heaven.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)