Failure is stepping stone to success. Do you agree or not? Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (40 posts)
  1. pankaj3625 profile image72
    pankaj3625posted 14 years ago

Failure is stepping stone to success. Do you agree or not? Why?

2. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 14 years ago

For sure. Failure can teach us what we have done wrong and thus, we can better ourselves. Failure at times can teach us humility, compassion, understanding and so on. My grandmother used to tell me that: "The wise man learns from other people's mistakes; the smart man learns from his own mistakes and the stupid man never learns at all."

3. jlswenson profile image60
    jlswensonposted 14 years ago

We agree.    Thomas Edison was reminded by someone of the over 2000 times he'd failed to develop a working light bulb.  He replied that he hadn't failed 2000 times.  He'd mearly found 2000 ways that a light bulb wouldn't work.  Every failure is a lesson in how not to do what you are trying to accomplish.  Determination and persistance will be the deciding factor in your success.  As someone once said; "It's not how many time you fall down that matters. It's how many times you get back up."  The only people who never fail are those that never try.

Good luck in reaching your goal.

4. RevLady profile image60
    RevLadyposted 14 years ago

I'm with Edison. I perceive attempts that do not work out the way I wish, as just that. I then focus my energies on the next attempt which may work out. Failure to me is a state of mind. If we perceive ourselves or our performance as failure, then that is what it is. http://hubpages.com/request/18816/#

5. lotuslove19 profile image68
    lotuslove19posted 14 years ago

yes it is true as the word impossible itself says I am  possible .thus when you face failure you think its impossible to get what you want, but then you try again and there your result is in front of you saying I  am possible sir!see here is your success.

6. create a page profile image60
    create a pageposted 14 years ago

I agree.  Many people give up when they fail, but success is appreciated even more when we persevere.

7. profile image0
    R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years ago

Yes. Failure is a stone, an obstacle. One has to step on it, and get over it.

8. Kimberley2009 profile image58
    Kimberley2009posted 14 years ago

I think that failure is very much a stepping stone to success.

Think about Henry Ford, Thomas Edison and other great inventors the world has known. They went from failure to great succeses.
    Given that...I do agree in part with sumosalesman who says: "Expermentation is the stepping stone, which results in fluctuation degrees of success and failure, and empirical learning."

However, some people are complete failures when it comes to relationships.
    I think of the many people who go from one marriage and divorce into another marriage and divorce and they do this many times over.
    I ask myself...have they learned anything from their "failures"?

9. dannicash profile image61
    dannicashposted 14 years ago

I do..

Success mostly comes after failure

10. maaschnabarroi profile image61
    maaschnabarroiposted 14 years ago

i don't agree. sometimes i do something right first time and its sucessful. some people are good at failure and success is much harder

11. Michelle69 profile image60
    Michelle69posted 14 years ago

The suggestion that some stepping stones are misused excuses and, even worse, bragging rights is not only highly judgemental... it's screaming "I point a finger and face three pointing at me" !
      The absurd notion that some of us who have faced failure gain pride, boast and display our pain like a badge of courage... suggests that ignorance is still a big challenge.Ignorance, then, becomes another failure, correct?!
      Using the internet (or any other public forum) to creatively express feelings, whether they be failure or success stories... is just that, an expression of feeling. I would be extremely bored and horribly repressed if I couldn't use my failure as a creative expression. Without absolute acceptance of failure... there would be nothing to lay even a single stepping stone. It would just be failure.
       Yes, some failure stems from experimentation... hello?! Absurd notions that individuals bring it upon themselves and also glorify their mistakes is a perfect example of FAILURE.
       The mistake you made by being judgemental could be a lesson learned and a path set in stone...a path of stepping stones, if you will toward a more successful opinion of those who share themselves online or elsewhere.I wish you luck on your journey, Sumosalesman.

12. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

There will be no one who had only success in their life. Everyone goes through lot of failures , before they start succeeding in their life

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

To figure out if "Failure" is an actual stepping stone to success?

I guess it would be good for you to define...Success? and what it means to you, as a person.

Failure is the inability to accomplish a task. Nothing more. It doesn't matter why you failed. It doesn't matter how come you failed. Even, your location doesn't factor in your failure.

You failing, is directly related to your own ability. If you have the ability, you have self-esteem and confidence to get the task completed. If you think for a second, that you cannot do something, then you will NOT get it done.

Plain and simple.

Will you fail before you success? Probably. Most likely.

Will you find your success? That depends on what success means to you? It is a possibility, but not guaranteed.

You, as a person, have unlimited knowledge potential and in today's world- free information everywhere....you should be able to accomplish any task, regardless of difficult.

You simply need to make up your mind on, whether or not, you really want it.

But, failure is a stepping stone to success.....Yes.

A perfect example of the ultimate endurance of failure leading to success........The filament to create light was failed over 2000 times BEFORE it became successful.

You step forward, making an accomplishment and then you run in to a brick wall, and fail in your next step. You learn from what happened and move on by adjusting your knowledge.

14. Miss Belgravia profile image60
    Miss Belgraviaposted 14 years ago

I've found after many changes in my life, some voluntary and some not, that success and failure are hardly ever clear-cut absolutes. What at first appears to be a failure may actually become an opportunity to achieve something entirely different and often more satisfying.

I had a business failure a few years ago that devastated me, but it also freed me to move to London and have a wonderful mid-life crisis. I had very little money, but I made some life-long friends and experienced things I would never have imagined. If my business had remained successful and I had traveled there as a tourist, stayed in hotels, etc., none of the wonderful things that happened to me would have happened. I ended up staying for almost two years, and I consider that a success.

And the funny thing is that so many people want me to move back, they've found all sorts of opportunities for me, so I will probably go back there within the next year, and be "successful" in the more traditional meaning of that concept. My failure opened the door to a future I had never conceived of, and opportunities for growth and happiness that I could never have planned.

15. profile image49
    Catinvestposted 14 years ago

The problem is most people are afraid of failure in large part because it is what we are taught.  Failure is seen as an "end".  It has very negative connotations to most people.  Like so much of life, it seems to me that it is just how you frame it that makes the difference. 

We tend to revel in our successes, without thought into why we achieved our goals.  We also tend to look inside at what went wrong when we don't achieve our goals.  It is precisely this introspection that allows disappointments and setbacks to be such great teachers to us.  Both can provide information that helps us to be better.  The seeds of success are sown in our greatest challenges.   

The challenge then is to look at setbacks as lessons rather than failures.  From these you can make distinctions about what to do differently to move you closer to your goals.  A favorite quote of mine from Anthony Robbins, "Don't like failure?  Well how do you feel about learning?" 

As an aside, in my personal life I have found that many times when I wanted something and it did not happen, in retrospect it worked out for the best.  This has happened more times than I can tell.

16. profile image0
    dietsandvitaminsposted 14 years ago

Without failure you would never know what success was. The bitter taste of "failure" is what makes your success so sweet. You never really fail until you quit trying anyhow.

17. profile image58
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

Only when your being paid by the hour and have to justify your cost! Sometimes you only get one chance at sucess.

18. Maria C Gonzalez profile image61
    Maria C Gonzalezposted 14 years ago

Absolutely. Failure is our toughest teacher. You can never truly know what you're doing wrong, till something goes wrong.

19. Somesh Dutt profile image59
    Somesh Duttposted 14 years ago

Yes, I definitely agree. But there is a inherent rider condition to that. You should learn from the failure and use it to your benefit to caompensate for the handicap the previous time.
    I recall an incident of the legendary Tenzing Sherpa who later accompanied Sir Edmund Hillary to the worlds highest pear The Everest. On an earlier attempt Tenzing Sherpa was with touching distanceof 100 mts or so of reaching the summit but could not scale it and had to come back. But he did not take this as a failure and the next time was successfully able to conquer Everest.
    In another revelation the great scientist Thomas Alva Edison in his pursuit of discovering the light bulb said that he did not fail more than 900 times but had learnt 900 different ways of how not to make a light bulb.
    So its the way you take it, positively or negatively will determine what would be the final outcome.

20. shrek619 profile image60
    shrek619posted 14 years ago

yes, its better to fail after consideration of your potential appraisal  than to succeed by luck .That way you know the intricacies of the task and be ready to take on the same task over and over.
    then you can advice others, write books about it etc.. lol

21. profile image57
    Ekpeesposted 14 years ago

failure is a stepping stone to sucess because if you fail. this will give  you the oppurtunuty to put more effort.Abraham lincorn fail  many times at last he became president of uSA. so if you fail dont give up keep trying you will make it.

22. EnglishOpiumEater profile image61
    EnglishOpiumEaterposted 14 years ago

It just a pedantic use of the word to try and imply a non existing double meaning.
    Failure is the direct opposite to success.
    IMHO it is a non- question

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

THANK YOU, FAILURE IS NEVER THE STEPPING STONE TO SUCCESS. QUITE THE OPPOSITE, IT CAN RUIN/HAMPER ANY CHANCE OF FUTURE SUCCESS.

23. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 14 years ago

Indeed it is......how else would you be able to know you have succeeded if at some point you haven't experienced what it is to  fail.  It is a celebration like non other to look back from whence you have come and stand firm in the present knowing that you have succeeded.  Like a book, you have completed a chapter, to move on to the next.  I don't think it would have benefitted me none to not have stumbling blocks, stepping stones and all of the above in my life because I would have never had the privilege to know me and all that I am capable of.  I guess I can say this because I have had to step on quite a few stones.

Vonda G. Nelson

24. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

I like the modern day thinking on this one.  So many people were doomed failures, at eleven when they did not pass there eleven plus.   They carry this with them all their life, feeeling a failure, being told they are a failure, and too busy with everday life to change their view  on themselves

Now children are taught that no one is a failure, and yes failure can be a stepping stone to success.  At last i am learning it...........  took me too long to find it, but now i know........

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The old teaching regarding failure was correct. If one failed, then H/SHE is a FAILURE,

25. treasuresyw profile image62
    treasuresywposted 14 years ago

I believe that it depends. Failure to me means that a particular is finished. If it is a matter of trial and error then yes, error makes way for being better. But it is only failure when you are done trying.

26. Madison22 profile image59
    Madison22posted 14 years ago

It has been for me. Definitely a learning experience, imagine if I would have given up every single time I failed. Progress not perfection. Thanks and Happy New Year!

27. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 14 years ago

You learn by your mistakes, therefore the more mistakes you make the wiser you become......(and I am a very wise man...)

jodah

28. hhdmy01254 profile image53
    hhdmy01254posted 14 years ago

i think that everyone has his opinion,so you don't  judge this sentence,all right

29. exquisitestill profile image60
    exquisitestillposted 14 years ago

I definitely agree...I believe that if you never experience failure, it will be difficult to fully appreciate success.

30. LensMan999 profile image58
    LensMan999posted 14 years ago

Yes, I agree. Only through failure one would learn what went wrong in the path and correct them to finally reach the goal. It is a rich pack of experience for an individual who is ambitious in his life.

31. SteveoMc profile image71
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

You do not have to fail to be successful.  If you do fail at some step or point, you should try to make it into a stepping stone.  To succeed after failure is fulfilling.

32. Alayne Fenasci profile image59
    Alayne Fenasciposted 13 years ago

Failure is only a stepping stone to success if success eventually occurs.

33. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 13 years ago

Yes, I totally agree! Without failure, one cannot achieve success

34. profile image50
    deepikareddyposted 13 years ago

No,this is nt true in my case.I'm exhausted with my continous failures nw i'm facing.i m afraid do i have any future and career.i was trying 4 a job last 5mnths bt i succesfully rejected by almost all companies.Now i have no hope.........sad

35. Blessed Hill profile image59
    Blessed Hillposted 13 years ago

Failure and success are not in any way linked. They are polar opposites. They work against each other.  Read my hub page entitled Biblical Principals To Success.  Good question though.

36. VENZKHVAM profile image60
    VENZKHVAMposted 12 years ago

yes ,
           i believe it in 100% and if you want to know why just click my hub page link below ,ah DONT forget to tell whether i am wright or not?

http://hubpages.com/hub/FAILURE-A-MUST-IN-LIFE

37. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12040882_f260.jpg

Not necessarily so.  Failure can be the ruination of any other plans to succeed.  Failure can damage and even ruin one's future.  Failure on many occasions oftentimes lead to other, more dismal failures.  Failure can even lead one on the bottomless road of no return.  It is best not to fail and to succeed on every endeavor we undertake.

Failure oftentimes destroys one's credibility, makes others respect us less, and see us as inauthentic, unknowledgeable people.  Failures are not respected in our society.  In fact, failure is strongly derided and viewed quite negatively in our society.  Failure is something that parents and teachers warn children against.  The adage is to do something well or not to do it at all.  Failure carries ramifications which can deter us from achieving high levels of success.  Failure is something that smart and intelligent people try to avoid for they know its detriments. 

No one wants to fail.  Because when one fails, h/she oftentimes have to take 1-2 steps backwards before going forward which is a waste of expenditure and time.  The thinking here is that if one did not fail, h/she will be further along on the road to success.  No one loves failure or a failure. When one fails, H/SHE is seen as a FAILURE, like it or not.  People associate the person with the act.

38. profile image52
    Anish 68posted 6 years ago

yes  it is right , as Edison says  ,by making thousands of bulbs ,he learn   what are the common failures ,in bulb making

experience is the ultimate teacher ,each failure is  a lesson

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)