WHAT DOES WRITING DO FOR YOU?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image50
    MZIVYJposted 14 years ago

WHAT DOES WRITING DO FOR YOU?

2. h_blunck profile image44
    h_blunckposted 14 years ago

Writing provides a chance to SHARE something with others. Whether a quick update on Twitter, a thought on Facebook, a HubPage here in reply to a question or an article posted on any of my numerous blogs, it all involves some form of SHARING.

I like to share because it brings value to others. I don't always get any thanks for the efforts made, but when people notice it does bring great joy to have changed the day for at least one person in some little way. :-)

3. profile image0
    TONEWYORKposted 14 years ago

Writing is for me a release of energy, I experience extreme joy when I see people being moved by something I have written, knowing that I have effected their lives even in a small way.

4. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 14 years ago

For me writing is great because it informs people. On a personal level I think, writing clarifies the "self". You get to know yourself better when you write ... my opinion ...

5. landthatilove profile image61
    landthatiloveposted 14 years ago

It gets the cobwebs of too much thinking out of my head and into black and white print where I can go back and  read my thoughts and see if they make sense. If someone else is moved or informed by my writing, so much the better.
    I am constantly bombarded with impressions and wandering thoughts. Sometimes I think my ideas are strange or stupid and sometimes I think they have merit.
    I believe that reading and writing are divine gifts. No other animal compares to our abilities. We are blessed so we should practice these gifts.

6. M Burger profile image61
    M Burgerposted 14 years ago

As a writer of mostly fiction its sometimes an outlet, a way to change my world to what I wish it would be. And when I'm writing on a personal level, it helps me vent and get perspective on any given situation. I can go long stretches of time without writing, and then write almost non stop for days.

7. cindyleedavis profile image60
    cindyleedavisposted 14 years ago

writing allows me to express some emotion, something that I feel or see, or hear; and turn it into words.  it helps me to put my thoughts in to order.  it gives me memory of things that have happened in my life; a journal or diary etc.  it allows me to write dreams, visions,
    hopes, onto a page. it allows me to be creative. i have found it to be therapeutic in whatever form it is written in. it allows me to sing songs
    written by me. there is so much that writing does.  You have asked a very good question. It causes me to think about writing in more than just words.

8. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 14 years ago

For me writing is therapy.  It also helps me organize my thoughts and sort out my emotions and feelings.  It lets me "think out loud" so to speak.

9. riahskorner profile image60
    riahskornerposted 14 years ago

I used to say that I write because it is a way to say, feel, and see without having to worry about it (the words) talking back to me. Lately, though as I have read through my past thoughts and reflections I can't help but feel that the words are "talking" back to me and in many cases my writing has created "ah-ha" moments--a moment of discovery.

10. profile image0
    liminalposted 14 years ago

Writing lets me see myself from the outside, maybe how others see me. That can be a good thing. It also gives me something to do when I get bouts of insomnia, then I just start writing down all of the thoughts and memories that come into my head. That can be a bad thing.

11. profile image0
    BIKTMIAposted 14 years ago

Writing for me as well is therapy and a way to be a positive inspiration to others.

12. Hookah profile image61
    Hookahposted 14 years ago

Writing for me is many things. It's a way to cope with some of life's harsh troubles. A way to dream of betters things. A way to reflect on mistakes. A way to discard regrets and accept them as they are. A way to remember that I am human and I am not perfect even though I strive to be. It's a way to remember most of all and mark down my own mortality much like all those heroes of the past tried to achieve immortality by having theirs marked down by doing great things.

13. fenzero profile image60
    fenzeroposted 14 years ago

Simply put, it's really the only way I know how to express myself. It's that inner voice people don't get to hear via spoken words and it's my release.

14. andromida profile image57
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Writing give me the pleasure of creation. there exists a creator in everyone's life and writing is a wonderful way to manifest that creator no matter how good or bad your writing is, expressing yourself is the key to happiness.

15. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

It makes my world a bigger place. I have been corresponding with people I have never met face to face now for over 30 years!

16. treasuresyw profile image60
    treasuresywposted 14 years ago

Writing is my way of really just being me. Releasing my thoughts and feelings no matter what another may say. It also helps me to feel productive. Even before anyone is encouraged by my books, I feel them being uplifted.

17. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 14 years ago

it gives me so much fulfillment. A record of what I know and my experiences that I would love to share not just with friends but people all over the world

18. ReesasakaGaara profile image58
    ReesasakaGaaraposted 14 years ago

Writing gives me hope, that I have something left in my life: even when I'm upset, I can still write and relieve myself in a positive way. Writing is like blind drawing: you never know what comes next, or how it'll turn out.

19. tgrace2105 profile image57
    tgrace2105posted 13 years ago

It gives me hope and takes me away from the world sometimes if I find myself having a rough day. It helps me help other people and gives me the chance to not just express myself but to help others express themselves. I love writing, it is my life. 8smile

20. Jaynie2000 profile image83
    Jaynie2000posted 13 years ago

Writing is the greatest catharsis. It is the most incredible means of escape from the real world and a way to express yourself.

21. trecords0 profile image62
    trecords0posted 12 years ago

Writing propels me into my utopia.  It is my own personal vehicle composed of my inner voice, my muse, which takes me into unreal places or imagination.  It can cross dimensional boundaries I am mortally bound to.

22. profile image53
    InkPageposted 9 years ago

For me, writing is just a way to express myself, or get through the hard times. It's a way that I can get myself as a child to interact with, and maybe teach, my peers. It's just so much fun, that it's hard to just stop. In a way, this is my addiction, and I'm not taking my therapy lessons wink

23. profile image0
    Lady Dixonposted 4 years ago

Writing allows me to be myself, and push the boundaries of my own abilities. I never thought I could write, let alone do it for a living. It provides a feeling of pride and mental stimulation. Definitely a wonderful craft once it is mastered.

24. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Make money.

1. lovetherain profile image81
      lovetherainposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That would be nice. But no one wants to read my stuff=no money for me.

25. lovetherain profile image81
    lovetherainposted 4 years ago

Provides me with a means to get my ideas out into the world.

Therapy.

Helps me to find the occasional person who is interested in the same things I am.

26. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 4 years ago

... writing reveals your thoughts, first to yourself ... and eventually to others. Writing slows down your thinking as you attempt to catch (become conscious of) your thoughts. Utilizing proper grammar, spelling and punctuation is a science and must be mastered little by little. Its a never ending study: The Science of Writing. Have others edit your work. You really need others to read what you write, not only for the sake of corrections, but to give their input on your content.

There is an art to writing as we tune into our style of thinking and feeling. We improve by practicing. To become a good writer: write. Also, read the works of other authors ... but I think you have to write first. Its really no more than discovering for yourself and then revealing to others, how you think.

writing = thinking

Its always good to slow down our flow of thoughts and become more aware and more conscious of them. Writing helps us do this. Would you say that writers are very aware people?

I would.

Would you say they are very humble?

... well, no preening allowed ...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)