Can anyone tell me how I can break my 6 month writers block?? Any ideas to help

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. JWeber227 profile image61
    JWeber227posted 14 years ago

Can anyone tell me how I can break my 6 month writers block?? Any ideas to help anything!!

2. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

The only way to break writers block that is easily known is to write! The way of doing it doesn't matter, what most Hubbers do is reply/ask topics in the Forums for hours on end then somehow break away to write a Hub or two.

~thranax~

3. profile image0
    moon dreamerposted 14 years ago

The thing that works for me [which I know, everyone is different, but you can give it a whirl] is to sit in front of my computer, music to set the mood, then write one sentence. Just one. Make sure it's the first thing that comes to your mind. It seems to just keep flowing after that. I've also noticed that I write the most in the evening and at night...is there a time of day that works best for you?
    I also have to write everyday whether I have writer's block or not, I'm just obsessive about that lol That also helps it not last so long, plus keeps your write goals on track.
    I wish you the best of luck with getting unstuck, I know how bad a block can be hmm
    [sorry if this doesn't help, but I sure hope it does!]

4. twalker74 profile image74
    twalker74posted 14 years ago

Stream of consciousness is an excellent way to break writer's block, but I feel your pain. Sometimes that won’t work for me either. When it feels that nothing will help, I grab my favorite book, either A Farewell to Arms or Residents of Earth and I just copy what is in a passage. I concentrate on each word and think about what the author is going through. If it does not create ideas I turn off the computer and read, then repeat. Once the spell is broken, I edit, create, or even describe inane moments just to keep it going.

You just have to keep the faith your work. Do not give in and let frustration take over. Write crap; write anything. When your mind relaxes, you will find the words you’ve missed. It took me years to learn that writing is never a hobby. Live it.

5. Quilligrapher profile image73
    Quilligrapherposted 14 years ago

I can’t say what works for me will work for anyone else.  But, my remedy for writer’s constipation is to write and to keep on writing. I continue to put words on paper no matter how disorganized and meaningless they may seem to be. I don’t stop to organize, to check the grammar, or to look for typos. Even though I’m not happy with what is coming out, I force the process of moving words from the brain to the page. Eventually, my creative juices kick in and the words begin to make sense once again. Then I go back and look for gems buried in the literary compost heap I just created.
    Q.

6. bananatreeatplay profile image58
    bananatreeatplayposted 14 years ago

Think of a topic that's near and dear to your heart.  Next, if you did not grow up in the computer age use a pen and paper instead of the computer.  Write whatever comes to mind, do not edit yourself or your thoughts.  You may even want to pretend you are talking to someone or just talk to yourself.  The topic of why you think you may have writers block may be a good start. How you feel about not being able to write what you desire. Continue to do this until your writers block is broken.  Good luck !

7. Hi-Jinks profile image60
    Hi-Jinksposted 14 years ago

Go and do something. Be involve with the community. Run for office. Solve a problem. Join a club. Take a trip. Move. Find new friends. Read newspapers from another city or country. Make a controversy stand. Sit in court. Learn a new hobby. Get a new cable provider. Hold a protest sign on the street. And lastly be not yourself.

8. Katelyn Weel profile image88
    Katelyn Weelposted 14 years ago

I just finished writing this hub with some strategies to help you through writer's block: Your Half-Finished Novel http://hubpages.com/t/e527f

9. kverdasmith profile image62
    kverdasmithposted 14 years ago

I thought all the answers and suggestions were great. If all the hubbers are writers then we all write, right? I think the more experiences you have the easier it is to pool those thoughts into writing. When I am blocked it is usually a specific project. I move on until it captures my spirit again. I don't beat myself up as much as I would like to and I keep doing productive things with assessment ques of what is most important in life. I think of my project while I am doing other things and usually the obsession of the work keeps the ideas flowing. Writing takes alot of energy and the creative environment. When those things are disrupted, so is the writing. If the project is important or has a deadline then just write, write, write as others have suggested without worry and something will start to flow.

10. kj8 profile image61
    kj8posted 14 years ago

Take a pen and notebook and change where you write. Go somewhere.
    Go and sit on the beach, by a river or in a park. Then write.  It doesn't matter what you write as long as you keep trying.

11. profile image59
    jb-jacobsposted 6 years ago

I don't usually have this problem. when you say you have writers block, does this mean you have no ideas for a book or topic?

I write fiction so I'm not sure if anything I can give helps. when the creativity has died down, I focus on my characters. I have know them like my best friends.

When I know how they respond to certain circumstances, I know how to write the dialog for that scene. I re-read my book even if its already proof-read. This allows me to enter the world I have created and take it to the next level or chapter.

I try to picture the rooms in my head and then say the words out loud in order to write them down. For me, most of this comes from my memory as most of stories are from my life in some form or fashion.

I always write down my dreams. The feelings, the words, what people look like, how the room is organized. You have to be fast on this one before it fades.

Good Luck on your next project.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)