Can a person be gay/lesibian and a christian?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (22 posts)
  1. charm1123 profile image60
    charm1123posted 14 years ago

Can a person be gay/lesibian and a christian?

2. drcrischasse profile image60
    drcrischasseposted 14 years ago

Of course. As a heterosexual male I belive in the Lord. My best friends in the world are gay and I know the Lord loves them as I do.

1. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

1 Cor 6:9-11  Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers

3. yes2truth profile image60
    yes2truthposted 14 years ago

No they cannot, homosexuality and lesbianism are vile sexual perversions and their lifestyles are sinful - period.

Having said that, all sin can be repented of and if they are called and then Born Again they will want to repent for that is the desire The Lord would give them. 

If on the other hand they profess to be Christians and make all manner lame duck excuses including twisting the Holy Scriptures in order to continue with their perverted lifestyles then they ain't Christians - period.

4. jezbiz profile image40
    jezbizposted 14 years ago

Absolutely... gays and lesbians are persons who may had sinned just like the rest of us. We can't just judge anyone. As Christians and believers, we must accept and love our fellowmen, no matter who they are, because Christ died for them and Loves them too... it is said that we must "hate the sin and not the sinner" so we must accept the person whether if he/she is straight, bi, gay or lesbian, but it is the "sinful act" that they may be doing that is not to be tolerated. We will show them that we accept and love them and part of that love is guiding them and sharing with them the Word of God. We must help them overcome SIN by being there to support and care for them, not by judging, avoiding or discriminating them...

5. Judah's Daughter profile image78
    Judah's Daughterposted 14 years ago

While all of us are sinners, the Bible is clear that those who practice (ongoing) this type of lifestyle "shall not enter the kingdom of God".  I don't think that being homosexual is a sin in itself (for it is merely temptation).  Even Jesus was tempted in many ways.  Temptation is of the adversary, and Jesus empowers us to overcome temptation through faith (it's a process).

I struggled with heterosexual sin (fornication), so I repented (stopped) when I committed my life to Christ.  While marriage is blessed in the Bible between a believing man and woman, same-sex marriage is not condoned, because homosexuality is forbidden (marriage or not).  Jesus strengthens me daily to overcome my sexual temptations. I love Him enough to want to please Him and do what is His will and not my own.  Remember, the temptation is not the sin; the action upon the temptation is ~ and the condoning of (regarding iniquity) is the real issue.  Everyone struggles with temptation.

I've heard testimonies of those struggling with homosexuality, that have simply stopped practicing it, stayed in the Word, fallen in love with Jesus who changed the desires of their hearts, and now have a very happy heterosexual marriage with kids that are growing up in the Lord. 

My heart goes out to those struggling with temptation.  I am not homosexual, but I can only imagine how strong the conviction must be to repent when someone truly loves the Lord.  If I get out of God's will, my conviction stays with me until I repent and make it right.

Jesus forgives those who have conviction of their sin and the desire to repent of it; He is able to empower believers to do His will, by the indwelling and power of the Holy Spirit (die to flesh, live to Spirit).  He makes each of us into new creations, becoming more like Him as we submit our will to His.  He is faithful to go through the struggle with us with compassion.

6. Lee Boolean profile image60
    Lee Booleanposted 14 years ago

The pope expressed that Homosexuaity is not a sin, but sex out of wedlock is... then he spoke against same sex marriage,.. catch 22

7. Silver Poet profile image71
    Silver Poetposted 14 years ago

That is like saying "Can an addict become a Christian?" or "Can a convicted felon become a Christian?"  It is amazing that we are sometimes more accepting of the former two problems I've mentioned.  Addicts and felons should be rehabilitated, and if they want to be saved they certainly may.  God said everyone can come to Him, and to come as they are.  He didn't say to cure themselves first and then come and see Him about a pardon.  All have sinned, and none are above the rest.  Those that sin less, however, will have fewer problems resulting from the fact that there is a law of reaping and sowing (some call it Karma) that exists and works within the framework of our universe.

8. lilmnstr profile image60
    lilmnstrposted 14 years ago

"The pope expressed that Homosexuaity is not a sin, but sex out of wedlock is... then he spoke against same sex marriage,.. catch 22"

My response: The POPE expressed not GOD, and Bible is man written and has been adjusted by Humans to fit the needs of the time. Believe what is in your heart and God will let you know. It is not on me or any other human to judge or say what God's will is.

9. Felixitous profile image61
    Felixitousposted 14 years ago

Yes. Being that the Bible is a translation of God's word by man, it is safe to assume that it is, in some ways, incorrect. If one loves their God and lives their life in a manner that they feel reflects that love, despite sexual orientation, then yes, they can be both homosexual and Christian.

not according to scripture which is the word of God.    Bibles are not scripture.    wide is the gate and easy is the path to destruction  but narrow is the gateand difficult is the path that leads to live.   the narrow path is scripture truth

10. profile image0
    jcmmanuelposted 14 years ago

Obviously yes...

I am not an 'enabler' of this practice (I could rather be careful even from an evolution theory viewpoint, as we all know how it is that we came to existence) - but having said that, I also do understand the human need for love. And to 'preach' Christ is not enough if we are just strong in preaching and weak in demonstrating true love at work. Therefore this issue is probably one of the most difficult to treat properly. We tend to stigmatize, rather than to speak reasonably about subjects like this. There's the full enablers on the one hand, and the totally judgmental people on the other hand. This is what we call "binary thinking". However, your question was not if gay/lesbian could be good - it was about it being possible that they are Christians. Clearly that is what many of them claim to be, and who am I to reject that claim. Jesus stood on the side of the thieves and the whores (doesn't sound like a compliment for guys/lesbians - but it certainly tells something about a difference between Jesus and many christians today).

11. rrlogan profile image60
    rrloganposted 14 years ago

Of course God loves us all and we all fall short of His glory.  I'm just tired of the world pretending like homosexuality is not a sin.  It is sin but what makes it worse is when Christians don't treat it like a sin.

amen

12. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

God, the yahweh of the bible, yearns that all will come to him and be saved from their life of SIN.
        Coming to him is a free gift that all may do, but there is this repentance issue that all must enter into. Repentance means to "turn from your ways and live a godly life". At some point in the christian life sin needs to be confronted and hopefully change will occur. Most people admit that sex with animals is sinful and a person committing beastiality would have to change their ways, but yet human same sex relationships are not sin? This is flesh seeking to justify itself. Woman with toys is not gods best for you! Men commiting sodomy is not gods best for you!, either.
        Since hetero sex is fornication and a sin, how can gay/lesbian not be sin? Can two gay guys and two lesbian women have a sexless relationship? Why would they want to? lol. Isn't that one of the reasons they throw themselves into this category?
        God gave us strong drives to live: the need for air, water, food and sex. People who live sinful lives have this backward. to spiritual people sex is not our strongest drive, sex is last on the list, but to sinful people, sex comes to the forefront and it dominates everything and is considered most important. Yet to god, sex is very unimportant to a spiritual lifestyle.
         So if you want to know if your leading a sexually sinful lifestyle check to see if its the most important thing on your list. smile

13. Solnyshka profile image61
    Solnyshkaposted 13 years ago

I believe a study of the scriptures shows that a person, regardless of their sin, whether it be homosexuality or drunkenness or idolatry, can absolutely come to Christ just as they are and received salvation and forgiveness.  However, according to scripture, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."  (2 Corinthians 5:17)  Being "reborn" in Christ brings about change.  This occurs because at rebirth into Christ we receive the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit then begins the work of teaching us and guiding us in Truth, and it will never guide us in any actions, behaviors or lifestyle contrary to God's Word.  And since the scriptures tell us that God's "sheep" hear His voice, then anyone who is truly reborn in Him will hear the conviction from the Holy Spirit to turn away from their sins, including homosexuality.  What did Jesus tell the woman caught in adultery after He forgave her?  "Go and sin no more"...meaning don't go and continue in the sin you were just bound by.  To a truly reborn Christian who is homosexual, they will hear the Holy Spirit prompting them, urging them to seek help in overcoming their sinful lifestyle, to repent from it, which God can absolutely help them with.  God is merciful, but He is also holy and the price He paid for us on Calvary wasn't cheap.

14. Mercredi profile image61
    Mercrediposted 13 years ago

Vile perversions? Wait a minute: Don't I sit behind you in Ted Haggard's church?

15. arieanacroom profile image58
    arieanacroomposted 10 years ago

Absolutely. Born and raised in a christian home my whole life I am gay and still consider myself a christian. I hate this misconception that there is no way that you can be both.. I believe in God, I relate myself as christian. Those two areas in life are not at war as much as the Westboro Baptist church would like to believe. True christianity comes from within, with a good set of morals and values. Not hate and judgment.

16. manatita44 profile image70
    manatita44posted 9 years ago

Of course.

The quintessence of the Spiritual life is to know God; to live in harmony with His Will and Consciousness. To live in a Kingdom called Heaven, if you like. This is my take on the teachings of the Christ. Of course there are guidelines or principles, as in any Faith, the most essential to me being prayer, selfless-service to others; a striving to love.

It is the descent of the Higher Light that will teach you. All God asks is a sincere and contrite heart. If it helps, always feel that you are responsible, not what others say, but what your Inner Pilot is dictating. You can learn to hear and act accordingly with time.

Love yourself, feel that you are indeed special, accept the experiences and work with them, with a willingness to transform your nature through His Grace. Be patient, never feel unworthy, and all will eventually be well. Beware of those scholarly ones who will put you down, but look for the ones with love in their hearts. Nice question.

get behind me satan.   You clearly do not understand scripture.  check scripture in particular 1 Cor 6:9-11.  why do you continue to promote such un-Godly lies to confuse the weak

17. Rich kelley profile image60
    Rich kelleyposted 9 years ago

Today in the world we live in with definitions constantly changing the answer is yes they can be gay and a Christian.

But.......................................................

They cannot be a disciple of Christ and continue in the sin in order to be a disciple they will have to "sin no more" and be an ex-gay. The kingdom is full of a lot of "ex --------"

18. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 6 years ago

The only way to find truth about this is go to new testament Scripture, not bibles.  Here is what scripture (God's word)says about this subject.

Matt 7:13-14  "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.  14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are

IT is clear that homosexuals,of any kind can not be disciples of Christ.    They may be "church christians" of which there is no scriptural place in the kingdom of God.    That is not what is required to enter the kingdom of God for eternity, that is the end of the wide, easy path that ends in destruction.
    The narrow gate and difficult path is the one that leads to life and th

Matt 4:17   From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."
    Matt 7:21-23   "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.  22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?'  23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!' 

1 Cor 6:9-11  do you not  know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.
    Gal 5:19-21   Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
    Eph 5:5-7   For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)