Changing the titles of long established hubs (good idea or bad?)

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (21 posts)
  1. John D Lee profile image85
    John D Leeposted 14 years ago

I just read Ryan Hupfer's very interesting blog post on optimizing your hubs for keywords:

http://blog.hubpages.com/2009/08/hubpag … great-one/

I have never spent much time optimizing for keywords, for better or worse, I have always just written it straight - maybe I have been foolish! Anyway, it does seem that optimizing makes a lot of sense, but should I do it retroactively?

What I mean is, if i have a hub written 1 or 2 years ago, that is getting good traffic now, but that may not be optimized for earnings, should I change the title to improve the CPC on the keywords?  Will I pay a very large price in lost traffic for changing the title, and I guess, starting anew to fight for rankings on different keywords?

I write mostly about food, so the keywords aren't super big payouts in any case!

1. freelanceworld profile image60
      freelanceworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I Strongly would not advise changing it now.
      Better to concentrate on Its layout, keyword tags and keywords in content .
      My opinion
      Regards

2. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can't see where changing the title is going to hurt you all that much. There's no way to change the URL and having the proper keywords in the URL is quite important.

Tags are important, but as to keyword density and all of that other stuff, has Google changed algorithms again? I thought they stopped looking at keyword density a loooooong time ago? Or at least it isn't high on the list of important things they look at, no?

And Mark, I'll bring the brownies!

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Good question. I have just gone back through a few of my own recipes, done some research changed the titles, tags and modified the content.

They were all getting pretty good traffic, so we shall see. I will let you know next year. .lol

No body searches for " barbecue hamburgers in November, so it may take that long to find out if it was worth it. This particular one was because I forgot the American mis-spelling of barbeque only to discover that Cue is much more widely searched for and pays far better than Que. Oh well........ lol

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

You have to cater to the market Mark tongue

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I know. lol Not my first mistake, and I am sure it will not be the last.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not that I am free from those either. Sometimes it smells that bad I cant' cater any more sad

4. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Could do with a cider and one of your barbecure hamburgers now, Mark!

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Oh, sorry, and answering the title question - it does not really have one-fits-all approach IMO. You have to assess what you may lose, and what you may gain, and this will give you grounds to making a decision. smile

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

I heard Mark was bbqing burgers over here and came by for a taste. Delish! MM

7. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

I will actually be cooking them this afternoon - all that keyword research made me hungry for burgers. big_smile

8. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Cindyvine will bring the cider and I'll toss together some macaroni salad.
    Sounds to me like we're well on our way to solving the issue of world Hub Pages peace:-).

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I've changed the title of a long-established Hub before.  I didn't lose any traffic, in fact, the results were much improved.

1. AsherKade profile image57
      AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did that too the other day to my hub
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Do-You-Recogniz … t-a-keeper

it has a new title now...
      sometimes it works, sometimes not...

10. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

There is a belief by some SEO experts that changing the title of a webpage can be one of the most disruptive things you can do to your google rankings.

I've had it cut both ways. If I have a page that's performing well I don't touch the title or meta description. But if one is tanking and other things don't work then I do change it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

11. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I just spent an hour changing some titles and rearranging some hubs, hopefully my time was not wasted.

12. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

The interesting - or scary - thing about making money online is that there are so many variables you really don't know what's working. You think you have it gamed and then it all falls apart. There have been so many times when I thought I was going to be a millionaire....

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I go through that twice a week.  I don't know why I keep buying those lottery tickets big_smile

13. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I've changed titles here and on some that have been online for over a couple years.  I only optimized them with my keywords but everyone of them have realized an increase in traffic.

14. jcales profile image55
    jcalesposted 14 years ago

Hubpages and your score is helped when you name edits, improvements to your already established hubs. Why would this hurt?

But can you in fact change the title if the title is sometimes the actual URL link?

BTW, I am craving a BBQ hamburger now.

15. John D Lee profile image85
    John D Leeposted 14 years ago

Thanks everyone, very much, for the replies.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)