Online writing - buddy / helper

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Netperking profile image61
    Netperkingposted 14 years ago

I was thinking that it would be a great idea to pair up hubbers to help each other prosper and grow as online writers. They do this with new teachers so why not do it here!
    An ideal pair of hubbers would write and different topics so there is not head to head competition. You should not do this with lots of hubbers because it should be a reciprocal mentor type of relatonship. As a "buddy" you could help each other by doing the following things:
    *proofread works
    *give feedback on keywords
    *comment
    *share your buddy's articles on your own facebook, stumbleupon, digg, or delicious accounts when appropriate.
    *suggest topics or tips that will help

Any thoughts on this idea??

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Instead of having to rely on another person for motivation and inspiration, look inwards, draw on your own strength and talent.

2. finsofts profile image40
      finsoftsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is great idea and will be more helpful for new comers ..

2. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Sounds like a great idea. I need help. smile

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

No offence, but I don't have the time for that smile

1. Kadmiels profile image50
      Kadmielsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really with over 2800 post sounds like your spending most of your time here you would be an ideal candiate for a mentor program smile if you change your mind let me know i could use it for sure smile

1. kmackey32 profile image65
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol yea me too.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That many posts in 1 1/2 years is not that many smile

1. kmackey32 profile image65
          kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

She is right. Look at my posts. smile in a short amount of time.

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Is a good idea ,and does happen alot ,though not as you describe as such.

Many have helped me with advice or where to find information etc and you can always ask to have your hub critiqued in the Forum,,forget the title now ...something like New Hubber?

How did you get on traffic wise K with Nellie's help , meant to ask you that?

5. Connie Smith profile image82
    Connie Smithposted 14 years ago

Though to a much lesser extent, I already have a relationship like that with Jen's Solitude.  Though we might all have some inner strength and talent here (or not), the encouragement of a good friend who values what you do is priceless.  Jen, standing on the sidelines with her pom poms makes me want to write more and to push aside the limitations that I place on myself. As we all see ourselves differently than others do, having a mentoring partner who is not afraid to speak out can help us to better understand our own selves, our work and where we want to go with it or just keep us on track.

6. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

It's a fine idea for people who are looking for that type of thing.  I'd want to see it isolated somewhere, like within Hub Make-Over; rather than be incorporated into a "general type of thing".  A lot of people are established writers, or at least have established writing skill/talent, and are not necessarily looking to learn how to improve their skill/talent.  Another writing site drove me away because of its emphasis on being a "writing collaborative" where "we're all here to help each other".  For me, when it comes to my writing it's a "private thing" between me and my writing.  If I write an article or Hub that isn't the perfect Internet piece it's because I wanted to write it my own way, not because I don't know how to write the kind of thing said to make the ideal Internet piece.  There's help here for people who want feedback, and I'm sure individual Hubbers could find themselves a buddy if they wanted to.  I, personally, prefer the "every man for himself" approach (and if someone wants help or a buddy he can seek that out on his own).

7. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Methinks I kinda beats ya all smile

8. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

And ya don't need a helper, as the good lord once said " Seek and ye shall find " All the gold you need already lies within hubs. Read posts by Wordplay, Mark Knowles, Darkside and Lissie just by typin their names into the search box above and read all about how to make money on here.

Tis only now after 4 months that we Captain/Cabin-Girl have found the Holy Grail, but when ya find it much gold will come smile

9. Netperking profile image61

I appreciate all your feedback...I do believe many of you have missed how powerful a group can be. Look at the idea behind etsy...I read the book "Swimmy" to my class each year and the kids can learn the importance of working together to achieve a goal. As adults we sometimes fail to see the beauty and power in it because we have become set in our views. I have noticed hubpages is very competitive in comparison to the other online writing sites and I believe I will look in to starting some type of buddy/mentor program on my blog for online writing sites. I believe working as a group could really help build traffic and cut the time in half   to achieve some of our goals. If you are interested -keep in touch and I will share all the developments. I think I will also turn this into an experiment it might turn out to be a great online article!

In what way?

1. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not, hubpages lets you be yourself !

2. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to clarify that my "every-man-for-himself" remark was in no way about competing with others.  I don't really see a lot of competing going on here (in the almost three years since I've been a Hubber).  I know I don't have a competitive cell in my body.  There are people who thrive on making every effort a team effort, and there are people who thrive on making it about "just them and their work".  The people who thrive on turning everything into a team effort think the "lone wolves" miss what can be gained by working together.  The "lone wolves" think the "team people" do not understand the relationship some people have with their own craft.  Some people stand to gain more by working on a team than others do. 

For me, it isn't a matter of becoming set in my ways.  I'm someone who sees the "beauty and power" in the process of taking my work from zero to (ideally) something that may be good, and in keeping that relationship I have with writing as "mine and not anyone else's".  I've worked at companies.  I know the value of teamwork.  I just don't want my writing and my personal aims to become the aim of any team.  "Hard-core" "writer-types" are often introverts, which means they gain their energy from within and often feel that others drain that energy. 

That site I mentioned is so set in beliefs that everyone should buckle under, act as if they're new to writing, and turn their personal work and aims into a "team effort", they don't even leave room for the possibility that there are people for whom that kind of approach is objectionable and counter-productive.  I didn't want this post to turn into something akin to "reading the riot act" (because, honestly, I'm a friendly and nice person - and welcome to HubPages, by the way  smile  ).

People have their own preferences and approaches that work for best for them.  Just because someone doesn't like someone else's approach (or doesn't think it's right for him) it doesn't mean that person doesn't see the benefits (for some people) or is "set in his ways".  I know I have "baggage" after months of watching that other site claim it wants to attract "the best writers on the web" while at the same time focusing on "everyone is new and learning and needs to work as a team to help the others".  They're driving their skilled writers to other sites (like HubPages), where people aren't pressured to act like they're new writers when they're not.  From what I've seen, HubPages has a far higher percentage of people who are skilled and talented writers, many of whom are quite knowledgeable in promoting and optimizing their own stuff.  I'm just venting, I know, after soaking in the escalating "team talk" for months before phasing out of that other site; but I do think that "to each his own" should go both ways.  I'm not knocking the "team thing" or "help thing" for people for whom that will work, and the length of this post (sorry) shouldn't be interpreted as reflecting any degree of hostility to a harmless suggestion.  It's just that there's a difference between the usefulness of a team working to do something like build a house and a team endeavor when it comes to writing.  Not to compare HubPages to this, but to the best of my knowledge most, if not all, great art and literature have not been the result of a team.  It is perfectly valid for any "writer type" to assert that he'll get his best results by taking a "lone-wolf" approach.  smile

10. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

ooooh darkside will you be my buddy? smile

I use BadCompany as my body/buddy double. You'll have to book with him.

11. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Of course, I would do it for money big_smile (Shaddup BC, because I know what you're thinking)

12. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I have a few of them that ask for assistance and I oblige the best that I can or I refer them to other wonderful writers.
    It is always great to have a helping hand. Misha, Mark Knowles were my guidance counselors. smile

13. Netperking profile image61

Thank you for your input I appreciate your views!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)