How do you deal with failures personally? What works for you?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

How do you deal with failures personally? What works for you?

2. stevewong profile image60
    stevewongposted 13 years ago

I personally try to change the definition of failure, and look for a success in the situation.  I suppose this is similar to the glass half empty vs. half full thing.

3. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

Yes, I do that too, looking at the positive side of the situation (if one can find one). If not, by looking at past failures and finding inspiration in how I was able to come out of them!! Thanks Steve for answering this question!!

4. profile image0
    ericvonjedposted 13 years ago

I write a poem and then outline a short story about the experience while it is still fresh in my mind. And tell myself, "It is how we handle failure, not sucess, that defines our character."

5. Merlin Fraser profile image61
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

Failure is a part of life that we have to deal with.  Life is far from perfect and we all make mistakes.

I assume you have a recent failure in mind, try and review the situation objectively.  Write a list of the points down on paper, such as what failed, was it your fault or someone eles's ?

If it was something you did or did not do that caused the failure, consider why and how you can correct the error.

Don't dwell on it, either you can or you can not do something about it.
    If you can... Do it and mark it up as a success.
    If you can not... Then you may have to write it off to experience and move on.

But above all Learn all you can from the experience, as I said we all fail sooner or later and it will happen more than once.

Trick is not to fail at the same thing twice.
    Hope this helps.

6. profile image0
    Car Donationsposted 13 years ago

Well, I find a failure can be turned into a postive thing. If you are not able to learn from your failures, you have truly wasted your experience.

"A man or woman should not be judged on their fall, but how they pick themselves back up" (does that make sense)

I fear failure. But I fear not learning from the failures even more. If I do fail, I sit back and take a deep breath and write down the positive aspects of my life.

7. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 13 years ago

we do lots of things in this helter skelter from birth to death, some we win, some we lose, it's the way of the world.

8. Emissionguy profile image76
    Emissionguyposted 13 years ago

There is no failure. There is only an interesting outcome to be observed and then move on.

What some people might consider a failure is actually an opportunity for learning and growth.

Perception is reality, if you change the way you view things you have in fact changed the thing itself.

Read: "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

9. hayests profile image61
    hayestsposted 13 years ago

Personally I evaluate the failures and know that I will not ever do it again. i think on how they came about and find my weaknesses because normally a failure comes from a weakness and mine is peoples' feelings.
    Right now in my life I am actually going through this and I am trying to separate other people from what I want because that too was my failure. Every failure isnt something to be ashamed of it's a bad choice and a lesson I hope you and I comprehended the first time.

10. lilian_sg profile image64
    lilian_sgposted 13 years ago

I accept that I can't change the past and remind myself not to make the same mistake again. And look towards improving myself and avoiding the same failure again.

11. Wayne Brown profile image79
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

What works for me is to do an objective review of the failure and what happened enroute to that point.  If I am honest with myself and not looking for a scapegoat, I will look at each aspect to determine how my actions affected the results each time asking myself if I did the best that I could given the circumstances.  I said it that way for a reason.  When you join the work force and are assigned projects or tasks, most of the time they come with constraints and parameters that must be met.  Many times, these are much too stringent yet the lack of experience with the particular situation is not there to guide the parties. In effect, they have been doomed to failure from the outset.  It is the same reasoning that we use in reconstructing aircraft crashes...to find the point at which things went wrong, learn from it, put things in place to guard against a reccurrence, and move on.  Hope this helps. Thanks. WB

12. GNelson profile image60
    GNelsonposted 13 years ago

You learn from them.  Fail your way to success.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)