Do any of you have people following you, but they have not writen any hubs, yet

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Support Med. profile image62
    Support Med.posted 13 years ago

Do any of you have people following you, but they have not writen any hubs, yet these people...

have some 5-50 people following them?  And, do you think that it is possible that these people may copy hubs and try to pass them on as their own?

2. theboxmeister profile image60
    theboxmeisterposted 13 years ago

I don't have such people following me but I sow 1 person without any hub that had followers. Strange!?

3. Jaggedfrost profile image61
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

lol Some people get followers by falling out of planes, trains, buses  and heaven forbid torching themselves in public after saying rather cryptic and inane things.  I have people who follow me that are like that too but usually they find my work not in my hubs but in the answers I give to questions in general.  It is possible that they received followers the same way.  It also could be that they deleted all of their hubs and have sat on their cans for who knows how long.

4. Support Med. profile image62
    Support Med.posted 13 years ago

theboxmeister:  I thought it strange too that they would have followers with only a profile.
    Jaggedfrost:  I never thought they could have deleted all of their hubs, but that is a possibility.

I asked because I was starting to feel very uncomfortable about them following, and seeing no hubs.

5. Katerra profile image61
    Katerraposted 13 years ago

Last week someone started following me.

When I clicked on the follower's profile, it indicated the person had hundreds of followers.

Yet the hubber was very new and had no hubs.

When I checked back a few days later, the number of followers listed on this person's profile had dropped to 0. Maybe a glitch in the system?

6. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

Yes, there's always 2 - 4 beautiful asian girls following me - or at least the profile picture is of a beautiful asian girl.  I'm not sure if they are all the same girl.   Sometimes, they get removed and new ones pop up.

They post a photo and get followers.  I don't know what happens to those that follow (do they get lots of spam?)

I was encouraged to flag people that look sus.

7. djsmillions profile image40
    djsmillionsposted 13 years ago

no I have followers that were banned, how do I get rid of them?

8. Ladybythelake55 profile image59
    Ladybythelake55posted 13 years ago

Well I am not sure but I am sure I have some that are following me but just how many hubpages they are writing I have no idea.

9. onlygrace profile image56
    onlygraceposted 13 years ago

I agree maybe It just a system error. I don't have any follower yet since I only have 1 hubpages. smile. Maybe someone want to be my follower

10. sugz profile image68
    sugzposted 13 years ago

for the first two weeks i was on HP, i never had any hubs but had gained a few followers.. they liked my intro and i had been into some forums posting a few comments etc.. i do it too, i follow someone without hubs because i either like their intro, or the way they comment on other peoples hubs and topics in the forums.. it's a good way to make new friends and also i don't mind waiting for the day, like me, they finally get around to creating even just one hub.. some of us take our time before jumping into the hub listings.. and think about what spikes our imagination and feelings on what is right for each of us..
    i think it's a wise way for people to learn about hub creation.. think a while and read and learn before attempting fate of failure or major success and learn from those already here that have made such a huge mark on the world already with their great words and wisdom..

food for thought.. although i have 2 hubs visible, one was created by accident that i have now elaborated on, i have many i am working on.. perhaps some of these hub watchers have works in progress too but unsure about when it is ready?

hmm it must be getting late, the brains working overtime again.. ops

11. the clean life profile image71
    the clean lifeposted 13 years ago

I think I only have one follower with 0 hubs.I can't figure why someone would join Hubpages and not write articles.

12. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

I'm not so much answering the question as presenting something I've noticed and am wondering if someone else can answer it.

I might go into my received emails to find that someone I've never contacted says they're following me on Twitter or Hubpages.   Usually, such a person will have hundreds, if not thousands of followers.   I suspect they have some sort of computer program going that scans websites and, if that system comes across someone placing a lot of content on Hubpages, want to bring them into their own list simply to boost it.

Any opinions on this?

13. sir_tallest profile image59
    sir_tallestposted 13 years ago

I do think it's possible.....the person may just stick to reading hubs and for the contributing comments and answers the person makes,he might get followers........i just wonder how long these followers will stay when he publishes nothing for too long

14. angel115707 profile image60
    angel115707posted 13 years ago

I think they probably found the hub pages link on another money making site and assume having alot of followers gets them more page views, looking for profit, if you look some of these 0 hub hubbers, that do not comment or read anything, often have one simple link to their web site and sometimes, a dirty site.... to get views on something else.
      They follow hundreds of people in hopes in turn they get followed, I for one always check my "new followers" thoroughly, I don't just follow them in return without thinking.
      I do report these spammers, because they could also be pedophiles or nuts stalking women, reading their posts to get personal info. (facebook is full of them)

15. profile image34
    silvereagle925posted 13 years ago

Well, may be possible but nothing is impossible...

16. ParadiseForever profile image59
    ParadiseForeverposted 13 years ago

Hi supportMed,
    I have an hubber 'starreviewer' who started following me when he has not started writing any hub here. As 'sugz' rightly said that even though your follower does not start writing any hub, any forum question/answer OR impressive profile OR the hub to the taste of an individual reader can always make people to follow.
    They may be waiting to understand hubpages very leisurely and write after sometime. They are really not copy/paste people. Do read some of the new writers here who gained a big hubscore in a short span of their writing. For a copy/paste type of hubs, one cannot reach this high hubscore.

17. JKeiser profile image60
    JKeiserposted 13 years ago

When I have published a hub, or was nominated for a hubnugget, I let all my friends know -- by email and on Facebook. I gained at least one follower that way. He has no hubs, yet. But, I am hoping that by introducing my friends to Hubpages, we will have new contributors.

However, that is only one that I know about.

18. tlpoague profile image82
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

I have a follower who has never written a hub. I later found out that is was a relative that signed up so she could post comments on my hubs. If you see any in question, just do a little research on them. I think some people just like to join HP to read the hubs. I did for three months before I posted any.

19. cwarden profile image41
    cwardenposted 13 years ago

I don't think it's necessarily bad. They may be here to learn and haven't been inspired or brave enough to write their own hub yet.

I would try to research them but I wouldn't be too concerned. There are many possible reasons they have no hubs yet.

20. KKalmes profile image61
    KKalmesposted 13 years ago

I don't follow anyone who has not written something that I find interesting or of value to the community at large. Why follow someone who is not writing? There is no point in following someone who does not make the same effort and commitment to the community... their motives are suspect!

21. leni sands profile image67
    leni sandsposted 13 years ago

When I first joined hubpages I didn't have any hubs for the first month at least, I busiest myself looking at other hubs mainly looking for a niche and/or following hubbers that interested me, ...finally I decided to put some of poetry on and see what happened.  The people that have been on for quite a long time and still have no hubs are the ones that I get concerned about.  For that reason I think it is a pity we cannot have a button option to decline.

22. profile image0
    Raghavzxposted 13 years ago

There are some hubbers like this but we can't accuse them of anything
    They may have got exited all about earning by just writing on a website but then they have realised that writing is not a easy game and you have got to stick around
    Also they may be on the way of learning how it works on hubpages by following other popular hubbers.
    But yes there is totall possibility of them being spammers or copiers.
    Be aware

23. lindacee profile image84
    lindaceeposted 13 years ago

I have one follower with no hubs. He's a friend that is checking out Hubpages for information (and to help me out!) He has an accounting and finance background, so I hope one day he will start writing!

24. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

Several commentors have mentioned what I would call a kind of... creep out factor pertaining to new "bloggers" who follow people and yet have no hubs of their own. At least a couple of responders here have said that they, themselves, took a few months to read other people's hubs, comment on them, before writing their first one. Some people take a little while to warm up to the situation, but they sign up because they like what they see here at HP.

Anyway, I think the creep out factor might be mitigated if a person (who has no hubs to her credit yet) and follows a hubber, would write a couple of lines about why she is following x hubber. Of course, if one has an established background here, there is no need for it -- there is no question that the hubber following you is legit.

25. onceuponatime66 profile image60
    onceuponatime66posted 13 years ago

I have not discovered this, as of yet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)