Why is it so hard to change and are self-help books effective for personal chang

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. CheapInMadrid profile image59
    CheapInMadridposted 13 years ago

Why is it so hard to change and are self-help books effective for personal change?

What is the real catalyst for change in our lives,relationships and behaviour?

2. Good Guy profile image84
    Good Guyposted 13 years ago

It is very hard for a person to change.  We have had already an inborn character with ingrained traits.

Self-help books may help.

3. jennshealthstore profile image80
    jennshealthstoreposted 13 years ago

The only way people can change is if they want to change. It is all in the mind. And only you can change yourself. Yes I do think self-help books are a good way to get you motivated.

4. safe-at-last profile image77
    safe-at-lastposted 13 years ago

Trying to change a way of thinking is literally like trying to grow another arm. Your brain has to build new networks of  neurons - memory pathways. Until they are well established, it is easy to fall back into old habits. I compare it to your thoughts choosing the 4 lane highway with an "express" lane rather than trying to follow a path through the jungle. Self help books DO help, but the trick is to keep reading them, over and over, or books similar to them. One thing I used to do was pick sentences from the book that I found poignant to my personal experiences, or that just appealed to me in general,  and then write them on "post-it" notes and stick them on the wall above my desk, or on the fridge etc.. so that I could practice my new way of thinking without having to constantly refer to the book. Good Luck and don't give up. Stay positive! Thoughts become things!

5. Jaggedfrost profile image60
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

lol I have to admit that most self help books are snake oil.  Can a person change?  Yes but that change cant be any kind of restraint on behavior.  Trying to stop doing anything is a good way to have an uncontrollable outbreak when you are the most stressed and can least afford it.  Trying to remove feelings for any thing sufficient to change behavior isn't really all that effective either. Most people like someone said have an arm where their arm socket  exists and would suffer for lack of that arm and really don't need an arm growing out of somewhere else to make up for what that arm isn't doing.  The most effective way for a person to change is actually to locate where behavior stems from within the person doing the analysis and find another behavior that embodies how they want to be and make a substitution.  It isn't a sudden fix, especially if you covet what you were doing and try to go back to it but if your desire to change is sincere it is possible.

6. profile image49
    Hypnosis-booksposted 13 years ago

I guess you can change, but first you've got to change some of the blocks and mental barriers you have at the moment.

7. chin acne profile image57
    chin acneposted 13 years ago

I just can say "Law Of Attraction" was change my mind ..

8. EnergyAdvisor profile image66
    EnergyAdvisorposted 13 years ago

Our habits and routines makes us what and who we are and how we act. They also make our personalities.
    A Habit or routine exists because of the elements it's made from.
    Elements usually are:
    -body position
    -thinking pattern
    -breathing
    -personal health
    -self awareness
    and even more....
    But the most habits and routines have at least the elements mentioned above within themselves.
    In order to change a habit or routine you only have to change one of these elements. If greater change is desired more elements can be changed. But that's not always necessary.
    The problem with habits and routines is that they suck up most of our energy. To break a routine means that energy will be freed, energy that you can use for something else.

So, the main reason why people can't change is because they're stuck. Their vital energy is gate keeping those habits and routine.
    Personally I don't really like self-help books because they make you "think" about acting. Although they can be motivating but very little people really change from those books.
    Some people read many self-help books and the only things they can do is advice others. You can gain lots of knowledge by reading but knowledge only becomes power when you use it.

9. angel115707 profile image59
    angel115707posted 13 years ago

I didn't "change" or grow until I learned how to control my thoughts. Depression etc was hard.  I am not going to give you a bunch of jibber jabber, just the nitty gritty....LOL think of your mind as a glass house, are your thoughts sinking till they are yukky? if so..STOP IT, and yes, you can...two books that really helped me understand my mind area:
                               The Battle Field of the Mind
                               Who Switched off my Brain?

and if you are a Christian, reading psalms at night, before you sleep, just one or two...really reminds you...God can relate to your suffering, and sleep in peace.

10. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

Change is difficult because it is instinctively part of the makeup of most human beings to resist change. I think that is good because change just for the sake of change does not bring happiness or success for that matter.  Regarding self-help books, their validity depends greatly on the individual. You may buy a book and read only to find it is chocked full of common sense information that you basically already knew but just did not have in such an organized format.  For others who lack common sense, it may represent a "wealth of knowledge" that open up a totally new world for them....these are the people who truly need help.  WB

11. Goodpal profile image77
    Goodpalposted 13 years ago

The rigid pattern of self believes and thinking does not allow you to change easily. You may try changing your thinking pattern and attitudes.

Another technological way is to take support of brainwave entrainment that can allow you to take a dip into the untapped reservoir of energy inside you. When you are bubbling with energy your confidence level goes up and change becomes rather easy. This is fast, easy and effective.

12. profile image55
    lovemylifefanposted 13 years ago

Change has nothing to do with your thoughts. I mean, you can change your life by changing your thoughts if you intend to continue living in your tiny mind's world view. But there is a simpler, easier way that no self-help book and no self-help guru has ever shared... because to do so would basically destroy their very bread-and-butter - which is selling people just like you more stuff that doesn't work long term.

The real catalyst of change happens when you choose to live with the authentic, real you - the you in your heart... Live your life, make your choices consciously from your heart, and put your brain and mind on autopilot, where they belong. If you'd like more visit some of my hub pages.

13. will-be-expressed profile image61
    will-be-expressedposted 13 years ago

long-term change comes through understanding, a clear understanding of important things in life. In order to acquire this understanding you have to constantly challenge your thoughts and ideas.
    You will also require a good dose of knowledge, some of which comes from you and some comes from reading good books, but ultimately the change has to be within you by having a clear understanding. By this process you can develop your moral principles and then try your best to stay true to these principles.

14. profile image53
    Travis James 3Dposted 12 years ago

I wrote about the real catalyst for change in our lives here, as well as destroyed a few self-help myths along the way:

http://www.socialanxietycures.org/best- … wn-to-bits

That's how it's done!

Travis

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)