Do you like to read self help material ?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (42 posts)
  1. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

To be more specific - do you like to read on subjects that help you be more organized, may be a better person, to handle situations well etc.
    What topics would be helpful, what are your preferences..
    That would be interesting to work on!! Thanks folks!

1. jacobkuttyta profile image45
      jacobkuttytaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am interested in reading whatever available on internet

Looking for free stuff

1. sofs profile image76
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is some variety. Great  scope for writing. thanx Jjacobkuttyta

2. vydyulashashi profile image58
      vydyulashashiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes of course i love to read that helps me in my daily life or teaches something that needs attention to be paid..

i would prefer to read on relationships,love and career

1. sofs profile image76

Relationship  ...just wrote  some related stuff just now, this opens up a wider horizon .will take you up on your suggestion as you did!!  pretty useful stuff here  - Vydyulashashi  Have a great day!

1. vydyulashashi profile image58

thank u sofs..
          relations are the ones which will fetch the most part of happiness in life..
          cheers
          have a blessed day,god bless u

1. sofs profile image76

Good work done in quick time I should say!! God Bless !!

3. profile image0
      loisryanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I would read self-help articles.  My main topics would be tips on exercise and weight loss, cooking tips, tips for high blood pressure and diabetes, educational tips, articles that deal with autism.

1. sofs profile image76

Hi Loisryan that's a neat list, but I am a mental health professional, yes autism  is one area I intend to write on , as for the others I may not be a great expert on those things. May be someone else will take you up on that offer.Thanx a ton ! Have a great day!! God bless!

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like to read all kinds of self help books.

5. profile image0
      Social Discomfortposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy self-help material a lot.  As a matter of fact, I write it as well as read it.

6. puebloman profile image61
      pueblomanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i suspect this stuff. The people who write it often turn out to be used car salesmen who have done a short course in some minor branch of mass psychology. They are marketeers, offering instant "cures" and shortcuts to success. Their books sell for the same reason that diet books sell. Because they are bought by career dieters, or career self-helpers in this case. If any of them worked, we would only have to read one book once. For a real bucket load of pretentious crap, try reading "the secret".

7. leeberttea profile image57
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't like reading anything that reveals what a mess I am!

8. selfbetter profile image60
      selfbetterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like to learn some good techniques which help me being better organized, etc. but the books that are the most valuable to me are those that deal with perfecting my character. Steven Covey's "7 Habits..." are on the top of my list.

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
    Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years ago

Hi. I read self help books / nonfiction on any area of interest or concern. Inspirational material, spiritual, parenting, etc.. Whatever the concern is at that time in my life I go to the library and often checkout a stack of books on the subject. for quick look up information I stick to the search engines.

smile

1. sofs profile image76

Kimberly Bunch that is great. I love to read a lot too . what you say sounds pretty interesting . Thanx a ton... Wish you great reading!!

1. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
        Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome!

big_smile

3. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

definitely yes, internet is basically the biggest resource sharing platform. Shared knowledge is best to read and learn.
    Sometimes we learn a lot from others experiences or advices.
    I think everyone should ready different things on internet to get not only knowledge also the awareness.
    Regards,

1. sofs profile image76

khmoshin, you summed it up neatly.  shared knowledge , shared experiences help us redirect our routes and makes  life more meaningful.
      Being aware keeps us from the pitfalls along the path. I am glad that you shared this.  Enjoy your day!

4. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I can't say I read them at this stage in the game.  If I didn't help myself by now it isn't going to happen.  lol   There's apparently quite the market out there for self-help, though.

I'm more likely to be looking for something like how to write a screenplay (not that I'm going do that, but it's an example) or how to grow roses (not that I'm going to do that either  lol ) - but you get the idea.

1. sofs profile image76

The ' how to' s are the highly sort after kinds is what you are telling me.  But you are not in that stage of the game to implement it..??  big_smile big_smile
      May be that's the name of the game .. will take this tip seriously, and thanx for the rest of the help too with the questions. Great day to you Lisa HW

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm kind of in the stage of the game where I'm finally, after decades of doing all kinds of other things in life, taking the time to use my spare time writing.   smile  Even with that, though, the kind of stuff I'd/I'll be looking for in terms of "improvement"/"help" reading would be that "how-to" kind of stuff.    Good luck with whatever you end up writing, sofs.

1. sofs profile image76

You are kind of  sweet.. Good luck and God bless you to!!

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I try and avoid most self help books. I'm one of those people who asks for advice then ends up doing what I was going to do anyway.

Most self help books take 250 pages just to tell you one basic concept.

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Unfortunately, self-help material are immaterial in most aspects. Due to the fact that the writer is using their own interpretation and not critical thinking skills.

Not to mention, almost always something is left out or not said. wink

1. sofs profile image76

Yeah  , you can never  have the last word on subject  there is always someone after you to say something .  It is almost impossible to put everything about life in a few pages. 
      Yeah agreed  that not everyone needs self help material,  every man/ woman to their own ways!!
      Respect that!  May be there are a few still out there who need help.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you really think what you said here or is it sarcasm? Just curious.
        The topic, picked by you was about self-help, not life? Or am I missing something?
        What did this have to do with what I said? More sarcasm? hmm
        I'm not interested in respecting what is and should be considered garbage. Approximately 50% of the self-help books only accomplish to make someone else wealthy and have no consideration for the people who read it.
        I'm sure people need help. But, education is key, as is doing for oneself through trial and error, so as to gain experience with the problems they are encountering.

It does no one a lick of good, if they are given bits and pieces to a larger puzzle, and not access to all the pieces needed to accomplish the goal. wink

1. sofs profile image76

Take it which ever way you think fit.  I speak my heart . big_smile  No sarcasm ,may be a pun here and there, I am just a simple soul, saying what i feel .

Isn't self help about living life value added.  May be I am missing a point  there.
          Why rate all books in one slot?

1. Cagsil profile image71
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was just curious.
            Self-help books are not based on adding value to one's life. It's objective is to assist one in finding a solution to a problem, either physical, emotional or mental, such as overcoming or removing limitations.
            The point is people cannot read these sort of books and gain the objective in the book, because pieces of the answer are left out.
            Because, all of the books are in the same category- "self-help". And, I also remember saying that approximately 50% of them are garbage, so one has to be very careful on their selection, before purchase and reading. It is always necessary not to take the top selection rated, because it is unknown if it is actually of any value. Hence, why education is key and effort to research on the topic in question, such as what "causes" the problem, physical, emotional or mental? Just buying any book without first figuring out the "cause" of the problem is where most people go wrong to begin with. wink

7. swapna123 profile image59
    swapna123posted 13 years ago

I don't follow self-help books on personal issues and honestly feel it's a waste of time. All of us are born with a power to think and act and don't really need a book to teach us. Most of these books are based out of the life-experiences of another person, and you may not really be on the same page as he is....

If you are talking about self help on material topics - how to earn money through hubpages, how to do share trading, how to select the best perfume, etc., i may read !

1. sofs profile image76

Not on the same page  I guess too!
      If we can make use of one category of books for our material benefit  isnt it still learning from someone eles's  experience.
      May not still be on the same page!!

1. swapna123 profile image59
        swapna123posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a difference Sofs , if i don't know how to open a hub pages account online, and somebody is telling me to 'click on sign up' and 'fill details', it's not like that person is telling me something from his own life's experience. He is just telling me what every body should do to open that account. So, it's not personal.
        If somebody is talking to me about how to impress your boss, it's something that he's saying from his experience and need not work for everyone !

1. sofs profile image76

May be worthwhile not being on the same page, the more pages the better!!
          big_smile :lol

every aspect of our life is learned by some one and knowingly or unknowingly we follow them..if we know we feel 'yeah this is already done" if we dono we feel "i learned this by myself"
            this is a vast universe of knowledge where information should be shared and multiplied rather than narrowing our mind feeling that some one might steal our knowledge...

1. sofs profile image76

On the same page as you!! I believe that sometimes even though we know certain things, when someone put them in an organized fashion it becomes useful and helpful to others.
              Sometimes this just becomes a reminder to do what we wanted to do but never got around to do it.  These are reflected in the comments on my hubs.
              Sometimes we can use shared information , without having to go through the grind of making mistakes, learning from mistakes when the path has been trodden already

absolutely...am sailing in the same boat with u!!!

1. sofs profile image76

Happy sailing sashi ! check the sails once in a while!!

as long as am on the boat everything works fine...

8. nicregi profile image65
    nicregiposted 13 years ago

Of course!

My all time favorite is Chicken Soup for Career Souls!

1. sofs profile image76

Hi niregi, chicken soup for all times and all flovours is my style. Yeah I love that too!

9. fucsia profile image60
    fucsiaposted 13 years ago

Yes!! is my favorite reading...especially on topics that help me to know me better and improve myself

10. adrienne2 profile image68
    adrienne2posted 13 years ago

Yes Indeed!! Love it. I enjoy reading any type of self help material.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)