ADD Thread

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (44 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

-I recently read a very helpful hub explaining ADD. I do not have much knowledge on ADD, but from reading, I saw I matched every symptom of ADD.

-If you have any experience or knowledge with or dealing with ADD, feel free to share.

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

My wife and her son both have it.  Hard for them to stay focused on a single topic...though I've noticed they seem to be able to do it just fine if it's a topic that REALLY interests them.  But for other subjects, the sort we have to study in school in order to graduate but for which we can see no Earthly practical use, it's another story entirely.  Almost impossible for either one of them to stay on topic for more than a matter of seconds.

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am exactly the same with focus speaking of a subject that I am interested in compared to another like math which I have no care for. Do they take any meds for it?

2. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That incredible focus on things that interest us is called hyper-focus.

1. Jane@CM profile image59
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is what I do, hyper-focus, then I'm so in tune to what I'm focused on, I'm able to shut out the noise.

3. profile image0

Zach reacted adversely to every med they tried.  He never did get so far as a G.E.D., though (at 24) he's starting to consider trying seriously. 

Pam (wife) was in her late forties before she realized that she also had the condition.  She's never been prescribed anything specifically for ADD, though Valium seems to help her in a number of ways including focus. 

However, Pam has not had ANY meds for several months  now--out of 14 total, and 5 or 6 that are pretty critical--because when we moved back to her old stomping grounds in southern Arizona, we ran into a wall of doctors unwilling to take her on as a patient...INCLUDING a FORMER M.D. who had at one time actually helped set up the meds regimen that worked well for her for years.

So right now her ADD is not of much concern by comparison with (1) chronic severe pain, (2) locked-up muscles, (3) nerves,  (4) insomnia, (5) COPD, and (6) osteoporosis...plus a few more.

If we could get that list trimmed down to "ADD only", we'd both be happy campers.

Thanks for adding. I can relate with the kid. I barely passed highschool. Has either of them taken anti-depressants or needed them before? Sorry to hear about your wife's other med problems. Hope all gets better for your guys. As for the ADHD, i'm not sure, but I may have some of that one also. Many will disagree, but I like to smoke marijuana to settle me down along with my focus. Thanks for your information. Best Wishes to you and your family. lol @ "hyper little redhead"

4. Enelle Lamb profile image73
    Enelle Lambposted 14 years ago

My son has ADHD (which has hyperactivity added to the mix) not only does he have trouble with subjects that don't interest him, he has trouble keeping still throughout it! There are many blogs and websites that describe ADD/ADHD, but most of them want you to spend money to get "their solutions", however, I have a list of associations that offer help (without asking for $$)If you are interested, you can find the list at: http://livingwithadhdodd.blogspot.com

Hello Enelle, TY for sharing. I will be sure to read. I used to make drum beats along with sleeping on the desk when I was in school. Does he do any of these? I don't know which was better for me, sleeping on the desk or turning it into a drum.

1. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is classic for those of us with ADD to have problems with "attention and arousal".  It is also common to attempt "self regulation".  Stay tuned.  I have personal and professional experience with ADD.  I will be publishing my Sensory Regulation hub within a week I'm guessing.

Thank You for posting. Do you think the ADD controls the person or the person controls the ADD?

5. profile image0

My bad.  Should have listed it as ADHD, especially in my wife's case.  She can be one hyper little redhead.

6. marinealways24 profile image60

Anyone have any good qualities that can be found within ADD?

1. LRobbins profile image45
      LRobbinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely.  People with ADD are usually exceptionally smart (in areas they're interested in), learn quickly (assuming they're interested in the topic), are curious about the world around them and are usually well rounded since they have so many interests.

Thank You for posting LRobbins. In my personal experience, you are spot on with the examples you listed. I only wish I could have the good qualities without the bad. But, we know things don't work that way. lol

7. Enelle Lamb profile image73
    Enelle Lambposted 14 years ago

Yes - most ADHD kids are bright, quick and exceptionally smart...one reason they have so much trouble with their focus is they lose interest - boredom lol...their minds process information (selective of course) faster than someone without ADHD - some become ultimate multi-taskers, but almost all have a bent for technology is one form or another.

bent for technology? Does this mean good or bad? I would also guess from my personal experience that someone with ADD or ADHD is quicker to find what they excel at since they/myself try out so many different tasks. Is this right?

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

My Mom and teachers smacked it out o' me.

lol I have had smackings before, they don't cure the ADD.

9. Shakola W. profile image60
    Shakola W.posted 14 years ago

I just recently found out that I have ADD. I was genuinly surprised. I still forget that I have it sometimes...

From my experience, it can be good or bad Shakola, what kind of problems does it cause you?

10. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I used to work with ADD pre-schoolers ,great kids, busy kids and sometimes had parents who were probably the real ADD's carriers undedected! by that I mean, many kids are wrongly diagnosed...

Hello eagle, maybe 95% of our country is misdiagnosed with mind problems considering our mind is still unmapped. I do think we are making lots of progress on some occasions.

11. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I have ADD.  I was tested & diagnosed with it in my early 40's.  I knew in the back of my mind I had it.  I tried the medications, but did not react to them well.  I am very sensitive to medications, I don't take anything for ADD now.  I know I've had it all my life in retrospect, the daydreaming, always looking out the window during school, not able to pay attention for long, getting confused when too many people are talking (like social functions).  I've done a lot of reading on it and realize I had taught myself my own coping skills.  I am still easily distracted, I can't read, write or knit (concentration areas) when people are talking to me, when there are background noises, such as the t.v., kids music, even the kids outside playing are distracting.  Sometimes I can tune it all out if I'm concentrating really hard.

Thanks for adding. I think we share a lot of the same problems and self coping skills on our own. I commend you for learning yourself more. Some would see it as a disadvantage and settle. I think there are many advantages in analytical skills with ADD. Have you noticed any strengths to make up for weakness? I have problems with tasks requiring simple thought at times and strongly exceed on some requiring complex thought. Have you had experiences like these?

1. Jane@CM profile image59
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I might not be able to do my son's algebra, but for some uncanny reason, I can fix a computer problems.  I had no problem figuring out how to connect my laptop to my printer through the wireless router, so I can print from the comfort of my lounger smile There are so many things I've self taught myself.  If I were to read the book on how to do it, I'd probably burn the book LOL

1. smokenchic profile image61
          smokenchicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i was diagnosed with add and could not do algebra in school, but I ended up deciding jane, that I would teach myself and I did. And I was amazed that I was able to learn it. Because I thought I was clueless to such degrees of math. I don't use it, so I probably lost it. But still I was so happy when I was able to see that I can learn anything, I want to. Nice cause the teachers made me feel that i was helpless in certain areas of learning.

This is partly my problem in math. I have no interest and no desire to learn math in depth. I have many more questions and areas of concentration I would like to think of rather than math I will never need or use.

2. marinealways24 profile image60

There is a great point in what you just wrote. I learn far more easily and in depth when I learn something for myself without teachers. I also feel more accomplished. I am on the same boat in algebra, I didn't pass algebra 1 in hs.

12. smokenchic profile image61
    smokenchicposted 14 years ago

Marine, ADD- attention deficient disorder= can not keep mind on said subject(s). deficient means insufficient, not enough of something to apply towards something labeled the norm in our society, or something like that. Anyways, these are just my thoughts, so you have a bright, curious, inquisitive, questioning and intelligent child, that begins school. Right. OK only this child because he/she is bright and all else, knows that learning in the sense that schools teach is to structured, to rigid (sometimes), to much information to early, he/she loves loves to learn, but the system takes the fun out of it all and replaces pressure to conform to all there ways of learning, not allowing for said child to spring forth in their own timing. And I could go on, but I do believe this has a lot to do with it. Just look how bright you are, always asking questions, always curious. But at your pace, and so on and so forth. This is just my opinion smile

I'm glad you brought up a school example. Whats sad is that I can learn more reading for an hour on the Internet through individual learning than I could through a full day of high school. I think structured learning puts limits on the minds ability in a lot of situations.

Hi marine just so ya know its me (goodfriendiam) well actually this is really me big_smile

Alright, Did you need a change? lol

13. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Marinealways:  Thank You for posting. Do you think the ADD controls the person or the person controls the ADD?

Yes and yes :-) Marine. 

I think for young children, there is a lot of ADD "controlling" them.  They don't understand that their nervous system reacts and responds differently to sensory information.  And they haven't yet learned enough control or compensatory strategies. 

For most of us, it's like anything else:  some days are better than others.  There are certain traits and behaviors I have been aware of and have been modulating for years.  When we're most tired or stressed, our diligence to this "control" may fall off. 

Sometimes I choose not to "edit myself" on certain things or in certain situations.  We have only so much energy each day.  I believe it all comes out of the same pot:  physical, cognitive and emotional energy.  I try to use my pot wisely most days.

Very Well Said. You had me at pot. lol

14. smokenchic profile image61
    smokenchicposted 14 years ago

Alright, Did you need a change? lol

ya kinda like changing your hair color....lol, ya got to find just the right color for your skin complextion...lol. No I just like this one better, shes not full of it. smile

Understood. Change keeps it interesting.

15. rmcrayne profile image90

Marine:  Very Well Said. You had me at pot.

Good one Marine.  First time I actually LOL tonight.  I'm more of a smiler overall. 

I'll be expecting comments from you on my Sensory Regulation hub when it comes out!  It's ultimately going to be maybe 4 hubs, but the 1st 2, overview and tips/strategies should be within one week.  I plan one more specific to Sensory Regulatory problems with ADD, LD and PDD/autistic spectrum children, then finally adult/my ADD perspective.

Always good to make someone lol. I look forward to reading. I hope they are short. I have a short attention span. lol

LOL

16. rmcrayne profile image90

MARINE SAYS:  Always good to make someone lol. I look forward to reading. I hope they are short. I have a short attention span. lol

What's your definition of short?  I don't think I've written anything yet less than 900 words.  So I'd say 1000 to 2000 words each article.  Maybe I have some extra Adderall somewhere.  Or maybe I will write them all so well that the reading will fly and you're begging for more.

Have never tried the adderall, it might make things boring. Couldn't have that. I think I can handle 1000 - 2000 words.

17. marinealways24 profile image60

Hello, how has everyone been? I almost forgot about this thread. A little ADD humor. lol

18. zaureny profile image61
    zaurenyposted 14 years ago

ADD and ADHD can be due to low dopamine levels which cause the sufferer to lose interest in subjects because they are not highly stimulating - a constant sourse of pleasure.

Symptoms:
    depression
    loss of motor control
    loss of satisfaction
    addictions
    cravings
    compulsions
    low sex drive
    poor attention and focus

When dopamine levels are elevated symptoms may manifest in the form of anxiety, paranoia, or hyperactivity.

I posted an article about a safe, low/no risk way to alleviate symptoms and the effects of add and adhd medications on mental health. You can check it out here - http://hubpages.com/hub/Being-a-Wallflo … l-Anxiety.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)