I'M 100% BLIND and, possibly. ignorent. Maybe both.

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)
  1. bob711 profile image61
    bob711posted 14 years ago

<snipped personal information>

Folks:
    Bob711

I am 100% blind.

I use XP Home, JAWS for my verbal screen reader, Dragon naturally speaking and J-SAY to couple them all together so I can dictate and give any command verbally to the system.

I did have the computer read the entire, "Guide" to me.

I still have some problems in creating a hub.

*how do I make a unique Web address?  Is it one that will be on, "Hub"?

*how do I pick a starting layout?  None of the samples appeared to be links and I can't find one anywhere else.?

*I am supposed to give two, "tags".  I have no idea what a, "tag" is.

*I can not find a place to insert the body of my text.  I assume this is likely to be after, "continue" but as I do not have tags the system will not continue.  Is that correct?

I will greatly appreciate your help.  Admittedly, it is likely the information is right there on screen.  My reader will read virtually anything to me except those irritating bubble codes designed to prevent spam.  It may be that the items I am asking about our in a graphical format my system can not pick up.

Thank you,
    Bob

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hello. i wish i could help you more than in this little post. is it possible for you to have a sighted friend help you get started? it might make it a little easier at first, and once you get going, you could fly solo. i agree, it might be prudent to remove your personal information.

as far as the unique web address goes, whatever you title your hub is the address it will have when you publish your hub. as far as formatting, if you choose one of the three, Hubpages will format your hub in the layout for that particular hub. i usually choose the second one since i like the look of it best: it places my text on one side of the page and an image right beside it. i am new also so hopefully some of the hubbers who have been around longer can offer better advice, or perhaps there are also other hubbers who have some of the same questions as you.

good luck!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Bob,
    I can not help you specifically, but maybe some of the hub team members will chime in with suggestions. I admire your perseverance.  Good luck-- I look forward to reading your hubs.
    Rochelle Frank.

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Well i can help you with a little bit of this. A tag is simply a word or phrase that should relate to your hub so you need to type in this field. So if you hub is about "computer aids for the blind" as an obvious example, then your tags could be "blind" and "computers for the blind" or "how to use a computer if you are blind" or something similar.

If somebody searches for "computers for the blind" on google there is a chance that they can find your hub because you have tagged it.

As for layouts, I believe that it is possible to select one of three standard layouts on that same screen, but I am afraid that I cannot really comprehend how that is communicated to you sorry.

I will just point something important out though Bob, your forum post gives your full address and telephone number, im not sure if this is intentional, but this could perhaps be a security risk for you as anybody can see this forum? Does your equipment allow you to edit a post? It could be wise to remove this personal information.

Hope that others can help you with the other points.

Best wishes,

Ryan.

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I can help you with another of your points, the web address for the article is created automatically when you type your article title.

So if, using that same example, you called your article "Computer Aids For The Blind" the the URL for the hub would be http://hubpages.com/hub/computer_aids_for_the_blind or something similar.

So your URL is made up of your hub title.

5. mcbean profile image66
    mcbeanposted 14 years ago

Hi Bob,

Regarding the selection of layout. There are three options shown in the hubtool, they are shown graphically which is why your program probably misses them.
    One is automatically selected so if possible you could just press enter to continue and select the default option. You can change the components later anyway. Each hub is made up of components you can select in any order or number. If you don't want one of the photo capsules in the default layout you can delete it. Even if you can't delete it, if there is no content in it, it does not get displayed when published.

I wish you luck. There are heaps of friendly people here so just keep on asking questions when you get stuck and help won't be far away.

6. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

Bob, Once you get past that first screen where you create a hub, I'm afraid the hub editing tool is going to be even more difficult to use with a screen reader.  We're going to build a more accessible interface for creating basic text only hubs, we'll send you an email when it's ready (most likely it will be a week or two).

7. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Hi Bob and welcome.  Your arrival could be a good challenge for the HubPages team - we'll find out whether HubPages is friendly to the visually impaired!

Others have explained tags - they're a few key words describing the topic of your Hub.  When you hit "continue" you'll find yourself on the page where you create a Hub.

To create a Hub, you use capsules, which are basically boxes where you input your content.  Some basic capsules will already be in place on the page. 

There are text capsules where you type in text, video capsules where you can insert the URL of a Youtube video, photo capsules where you can upload a photo, and revenue capsules where you can display adverts.

I have no idea whether your software will be able to "see" the capsules. If you can't, then HubPages won't work for you, because to input any text at all, you have to hit the "edit" button on the first text capsule (and hit "save" when you're finished).

The stock advice is to break up your text over several capsules to allow ads and pictures to be scattered throughout the Hub instead of just at the beginning or end.  There's a menu on the right-hand side of the editing screen, where you can click to add more capsules.

When you're finished, there are buttons for "Done Editing", "Save Unpublished" and "Publish"

8. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Hi Bob.

Check out my hub titled How To Hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/how

Let me know if there is anything that hasn't properly explained what you need to know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)