Do you think an online education should be just as credible as a brick and morta

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. brnielsen44 profile image59
    brnielsen44posted 13 years ago

Do you think an online education should be just as credible as a brick and mortar school education?

2. Rhonda_M profile image71
    Rhonda_Mposted 13 years ago

Well I certainly hope so, yet there is a perception that an online degree may be less valid than one from a bricks and mortor institute (it is thought you don't have to work as hard). Consider, thought that the  vast majority of schools are offering courses, certificates and degrees online (even Harvard).  I got my Masters online from an accredited Canadian University with a worldwide reputation in my field. I worked very hard at my courses and learned a lot. What is happening is that online education is big business. There are "for profit schools" out there such as "Phoenix" and Jones, and you should do your homework before you enrol in these schools.

3. RocketCityWriter profile image76
    RocketCityWriterposted 13 years ago

I went to a brick and mortar institution and I would say that I definitely have the perception that the online 'for profit schools' are easier and less credible than traditional schools - not saying its true, but that's my perception. However, I would say that online programs that traditional brick and mortar schools offer seem just as credible as taking courses on campus.

4. profile image58
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

No, mostly because professors and other mentors are readily available for on-site students. And that can have a huge impact on the learning process. Further, long-distance learning is just as expensive as on-site (based on tuition costs per hour taken). So if the on-site option is available students would be wise to use it.
       Students who live in remote areas, or require a specific class not available locally, now have an excellent resource in long-distance learning, however.
       Another problem is a student's self-discipline. Students who are not self-starters usually squander long-distance learning opportunities. Many students use long-distance learning as a supplement to the degree they received at an on-site institution. In this way they can stay current with new technology, etc., at their leisure.

5. AKdude profile image59
    AKdudeposted 13 years ago

There are some some valid online educational opportunities. You just have to do your research first.

Many of the ones you see advertised all the time, especially the trades related ones, are little more than diploma mills. If you do a little research you will find most are not accredited in any way! Most also have a dismal track record of job placement for their graduates.

There are some good opportunities out there. Just do a little research before jumping in.

6. BaliMermaid profile image58
    BaliMermaidposted 13 years ago

As in any new situation, there are the good, the bad and the ugly - aka black hat types. We have two daughters in our family that have attended online high school and it has been a fantastic experience.

The school they attend is the online side of an accredited brick and mortar traditional school. The online side is also accredited and shows up on all SAT or College board sites as a real accredited high school.

Let me tell you it is much MORE than that.  The course work is intensive, the teachers are attentive with each student getting as much one on one time as they want or need. The systems to protect against cheating are something traditional schools should adopt and the social interaction in online clubs, and real face to face get togethers is energizing and amazing.

Is it popular? Look at these numbers.

Two years ago at graduation there were 200 students.
    Last year at graduation there were over 400 students.
    This year for graduation it is predicted there will be 4000 students.

Not only should this online education be considered credible, it already is, and deserves to be.

So if an online education course is properly accredited or working toward that accreditation I believe parents, students and employers should be happy to see these institutions in action.

One of my daughters graduated and is entering university.

The other daughter is a senior and an official candidate for entry into the U.S.Naval academy. How is that for credibility!

7. jcbmack profile image64
    jcbmackposted 12 years ago

That depends upon the individual quality of the school(s) in question, the type of program resources offered, cost to attend, and what one is looking for in their education. If you are a 21 year old student who wants to socialize and gain access to parties while obtaining an education then Brick and Mortar maybe the way to go. However, for non-traditional students online education can be a wonderful educational experience that can also lead to job advancement or entry into a new career.

I began my educational journer via a well respected college and I have seen various programs at other B & M institutions. I now attend an online University. I can tell you first hand the quality of education for the majors I chose are on par with, and often times even better than the education and training offered at well respected and high tier institutions. The University I attend should be considered on par with traditional University educational formats and learning modalities.

Where I attend we have access to: live chats, phone calls, video lectures, podcasts, online aysnchrnous discussion forums, a massive online library, a writing center, a tutorial center, a career services center and 24 hour access to our classes.

The live chat feature is to speak to both students and the professors. The discussion forum requires significant reading peer reviewed literature and textbooks to support a quality, graded classroom discussion.

Now would I want a surgeon to operate on me with only a "virtual" understanding of the surgery? Of course not.

8. profile image48
    pmpaustraliaposted 12 years ago

It shouldn't be at least ideally! I think nationally accredited courses should be given with equal weight as other regular courses.
    http://www.ama.edu.au/

9. profile image49
    cristinadlerposted 11 years ago

While that’s certainly desirable, it cannot be an all-encompassing rule. There have to be some checks to prevent the growth of diploma mills that sell fake degrees in the garb of online education. Having said that, distance learning courses from recognized and respected accrediting bodies should be treated at par with on-campus programs.
    http://www.independence.edu/

10. Kelly Underwood profile image53
    Kelly Underwoodposted 11 years ago

Indeed yes! Sometimes online education is much better than the traditional learning.  See here why, http://www.elearners.com/

11. Sustainable Sue profile image97
    Sustainable Sueposted 10 years ago

Online education is exploding with new courses and degrees from major universities and colleges, including subjects that fit today's needs and are perfect for political activists. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)