Would Removing Amazon Increase My Adsense Performance?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Just a thought, but I have had just 27 Amazon clicks, and made no money from those clicks (they didnt buy anything).

As the people that clicked through are clearly the 'clicking type', is it possible that by removing Amazon could see a higher click through rate for my adsense ads?

Has anybody tried this out and noticed any difference? I know that removing Kontera has that effect, so I am curious to see whether this could do similar?

I would be grateful for your thoughts.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've never found eBay or Amazon to be very lucrative here on HubPages. At first, I used to use them on my Hubs anyway, because they are colourful and add to the attractiveness of the Hub (in small doses).  I'm very sparing with them now, because I came to the same conclusion as you.

Faced with a plain old Adsense link and a pretty Amazon picture, people are more likely to click on the pretty picture but it doesn't mean they'll buy.  If they click on an Adsense link, it's more likely they have a genuine interest.  And since I reach payout much faster with Adsense, I'd rather they clicked the Adsense!

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, having Kontera has zero effect on my AdSense.  Both keep going up.

1. Dale Nelson profile image39
        Dale Nelsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just thought Id be your 1000th fan.

2. profile image68
    RS Junkieposted 14 years ago

Well in my opinion, if your Amazon items are more expensive items that are very related to your hub, i would keep the amazon. Many people do click through those and do not buy, but if one of your items is a few hundred dollars, it only takes one buyer to pay for a lot of adsense clicks. I've heard the best place to put amazon links is in Product Reviews and that will be your major area where you will get amazon buyers, but if you have something relevant to buying the items you are showing i'd say go for it.

3. WeddingConsultant profile image67
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

ryan, it's a great question. I wish I had an answer for you, but I've never tried. I'm curious to see what other hubbers have to say about it.

re: amazon sales, keep pushing them through capsules in your hubs and you'll start seeing sales come in. The hardest sale is the first one. Once ground is broken it seems to come more quickly.

4. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

In my opinion if your adsesne ads being displayed on your hubs are related to your content then there is a huge chance that it will increase your adsense clicks as the clicking traffic will then click adsense instead of amazon.

1. viryabo profile image96
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well put, and makes a lot of sense. I may start experimenting and see what happens. I know the day i removed kontera was the day i started earning on adsense.
      I have nothing to lose anyway since ive never ever made a sale on Amazon.

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I think that I am going to begin to leave Amazon off of my general hubs, unless I can find the perfect product to compliment it.... I think it looks a little unprofessional when people just type a keyword and get 4 products which havent even got photos etc...

And I will compliment my portfolio with some product reviews / sales pages.

I havent really attempted a Mark Knowles style sales page yet, so I think I will begin to write two types of articles... 1) Those geared towards popular/high paying keywords with no Amazon products and 2) Those specifically related to a product, which I will concentrate on Amazon sales and disregard keyword value.

I tend to write for adsense value, where a niche with small amounts of traffic tends to earn me more money. If I am writing for Amazon sales then it is likely to be better to get as much traffic as possible, even if its going to pay me 1 cent per adsense click?

I can see two completely different interests between the two, I might even set up another account for Amazon ambitions and keep this one for adsense ambitions.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I make 5 times more from Amazon than I do from Google Adsense. But I design my hubs for that. I would agree that just adding Amazon products on any old hub probably won't generate that many sales and might prevent adsense clicks.

In fact I've been trying to think of hub ideas on which to feature adsense, and in those cases I won't be adding any Amazon or Ebay capsules. So I do think that you're thinking on the right track.

Kontera isn't a fair comparison, because it's just such a bad affiliate program for most of us.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, whats the point in hoping that somebody happens to want to buy a Brazil soccer shirt after searching for a bio on Rivaldo for example!

I would be much better off hoping that somebody is bidding for relevant adsense ads for the keyword 'Rivaldo' and doing a hub which talks about how fantastic the new Brazil soccer shirt is.... which a few people might find whilst actually considering purchasing one...

I think thats the way that I am going to go from now on. There are a few exceptions, I did a large tribute to somebody in almost a 'biography' format, and at the bottom I had an Amazon for this persons 'autobiography' which I feel is probably relevant.

But I am going to keep on doing what I am doing in the hope of building an adsense income, whilst setting up another account with a 'Nelle Hoxie-esque' approach...

7. Anti-Valentine profile image74
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

I've heard of people in the past who got rid of their Ebay capsules and made more money with AdSense.

I also get a fair bit of clicks with my amazon ads (on my blogs as well) but don't get many buyers.

8. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

I'm with Nelle on this, ryan.  Sure you want to give up on Amazon?  I make more than 5 times as much there as with Adsense.  Give it some time, too.  I'm often surprised by what people end up buying from my links.  I'd be very discouraged were it not for Amazon.

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

The only way to know for sure is to try. You can always revert. smile

10. CoachFreville profile image60
    CoachFrevilleposted 14 years ago

Just adding Amazon to get stats here, so keep you posted.

11. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Having Amazon capsules on hubs not designed for Amazon has had (from what I can tell) little effect on anything. If the hub is designed around Amazon products, as Nelle put it, it can be extremely effective.

That said, someone doesn't have to want to buy a product you're promoting. All you really need is someone who is looking for SOMETHING. Once they click through to Amazon through you, you get revenue off of whatever they buy for a certain period of time during that visit. I've made money off of items that have had nothing to do with the hub. Guess someone was just bored and looking to buy SOMETHING! smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've had the same experience.  The other thing with Amazon, for me, is that it costs me money to bank their cheques.

12. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

The clicks are worth it with amazon- even if they dont purchase they are getting the cookie (albeit w/ an incredibly short lifespan)

I have a fluke blogpost that generates huge myspace traffic, i bet none of the people who clicked the amazon link in the blog(mostly kids) bought anything, but commissions are great..why? because parents come along later purchase things from amazon directly..my cookie gets the credit

I dont see the traffic/clickers as being duplicate, most adsense clickers still dont realize their clicking ads.

The amazon clicks know exactly what they are doing,IMO

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sunforged, how long do the cookies last for?

And would my cookie replace any previous cookie. e.g. if I was to go to your hubs now and click on Amazon, did not buy anything, and then went through to Relaches and clicked on her capsule through to Amazon but also did not buy anything...

Which of you would hold the cookie should I make a purchase later that night?

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The cookie overwrites - so relache would get the commission

the cookie length, is a miserable 24 hours (lowest of any I ever partnered with)

Its still very profitable though, i dont think I "sold" a single amazon item...i just get lucky that my cookie is on the buyers computer when they decide to purchase something later.

well, ive sold a few items that were featured in hubs and blogs, but its barely measurable

someone bought a years supply of roses once at a $1000, that was certainly never a featured item, but got a great commission

ebays cookie duration is better at 7 days to buy items
        or30 days for new signup but must buy in that time frame.(ACRU)

13. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Having fewer things to click on has proven to potentially increase Adsense, but in my opinion, I don't think it makes much difference. I do pretty well with Amazon in general and even better with Adsense. It would be a nice experiment to see if removing the Amazon or Ebay would increase Adsense, but it'd probably have a short term downfall in overall earnings at first. I'd rather not risk it now then decide to have to put the ads back... Guess they could be hidden, but then a lot of hubs to go through to find them to unhide them.

Anyway, I think in general, the less option they have to click, the more potential to click Adsense. Most people have shown removal of contextual ads will increase Adsense. I know mine increased since I removed all Kontera. But, I guess it's case by case, as Relache seems to have had no change in her Adsense with using Kontera.

Relache, have you consider taking of Kontera to see if your Adsense would improved? While I used the program, my Adsense stayed relatively the same with a little increase, but after removing, I saw pretty good increase that has gotten better as month pass with no kontera.

1. viryabo profile image96
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The day i took Kontera off was the day i started noticing earnings. Taking it off did work well for me i must say, and i havent looked back since.
      I am now(after visiting this forum yesterday)experimenting by removing amazon from a few of my hubs. I think i need to give adsense a better chance. I'll try it out for a month or so and see how it goes.

14. wesleycox profile image71
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

Well, I don't know the answer to that question either but I have made over twenty $ from adsense and .62 cents from amazon.  All my hubs have both so it doesn't seem to matter.  However, I would be very interested to know the results of your new plan with your hubs.

15. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I had this very thought in the first year I was here and I tested it out and it didn't affect anything, earnings and clicks was the same all round and my amazon and ebay earnings have gone up slightly, not tremendously or anything, but in the last month I've earned over $50 from hubpages with adsense and combined with other adsense earnings from my other blogs over $200 which has taken a small effort of writing.

I think it's best to activate what's offered here in affiliate income and just keep on writing some new content and set a marketing or backlinking plan in place for your stuff, traffic will come, if you dedicate time to your content publishing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)