What is our final authority for Truth: the Bible alone, or what our pastors/teac

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. ShevaStreet profile image59
    ShevaStreetposted 13 years ago

What is our final authority for Truth: the Bible alone, or what our pastors/teachers have taught?

Most will say it is the Scriptures alone that determines what is Truth for them. But if this is true, then why are there 100's of  denominations within Christianity and each one claims to have it right?
    What message did the Messiah really bring & how did the Apostles and early believers in the book of Acts live?  Yes, each denomination of this day and age reads out of the same Bible, but there are so many man made traditions and practices added into it, that perhaps we lost site of the  pure unmixed message of truth that was there all along. I am interested to know other's thoughts on this?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4483914_f260.jpg

2. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

As an atheist I wont be answering this question but i am interested in the answers you get. Great question in my opinion, thx for asking it.

3. HOOWANTSTONO profile image59
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 13 years ago

Good question, yet it is so simple to answer, and I will quote from what Jesus Christ answered to a similar question.

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Mar 8:29 And he saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Peter answereth and saith unto him, Thou art the Christ.

Luk 22:70  Then said they all, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I am.

There is the final Authority the only one you should learn from, unless anyone is not lifting up Jesus Christ, then they lifting themselves up. get away from them then.

4. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

I know truth. Truth know me. I know GOD and walk with GOD moment by moment. On August 1, 1982 A.D. a Sunday morning GOD shown me in a vision the other side of death. It is glorious. Just the facts. GOD and I am spreading the message of truth that is the truth for every single human being living on the earth now and will be living on the earth in the future. You can find the truth on my 1 unpublished hub on hubpages that have now gone around the world as of now at the sum total of 8 countries. The people who have seen this truth just loves it and can not get enough of it. My 1 article gets all of it traffic through 100 percent referring sites. It is a total success and I guess the only way you will see this article is through the referring sites if you can figure out how. By the time you see this truth if you ever do see it, then it will have already been established by the people who have already seen it and received it into their heart and soul before the naysayers on hubpages get to see it. This is it.

5. Bible Studies profile image64
    Bible Studiesposted 13 years ago

The main message that was brought was the salvation message. Jesus gave many other messages as well such as on love and forgiveness.

Different churches sometimes focus on different messages, or topics within the Bible. For example Joyce Meyers focuses on Christian Living. Rod Parsley seems to focus on the salvation message and the power of God.

The problem comes when churches start to give messages that are really not supported by the Bible. They added their own interpretation and twist to what is actually being said, and even take scripture out of context of what it actually means.

This is where we need to be careful. Are we getting God's word, or the Pharisees version so to speak. They were notorious for doing this, and this was the reason Jesus fought with them so venomously.

The only way we are going to know if we are actually hearing God's word or man made interpretation of it is to read and study the Bible. Don't let anyone tell you that you need a degree to understand it. Anyone can understand the basic message when reading.

What I like about the Bible is that the more you read, the more you will understand. I don't know how many times I have heard this and actually have it happen to myself, I read this passage dozens of times already and I just saw something new in it. I always believed that the Bible backs itself up. For any message, you should be able to find the same message in several different places.   

Be careful of man made traditions and practices. I do believe there are pure unmixed messages, and I also believe there are hidden messages. Be careful with the hidden ones, but they are great when God reveals them to you.

6. tysanders profile image59
    tysandersposted 13 years ago

i think many people take the rules of Christianity and bend them to work for them. This is done often because people may read the Bible but they base their knowledge of the word on another person's interpretations. I suggest reading for yourself and before reading pray and ask God for wisdom and understanding. When you have a personal relationship with Him He will lead you to the truth.

7. mattmilamii profile image59
    mattmilamiiposted 13 years ago

The short answer and quite frankly the only correct one is GOD.  Jesus, being the “Word of GOD” said simply that He was the way, the truth, and the life.  If we have any foundation for truth at all it lies in the fact that the truth and GOD are one and the same… infallible and unchanging.  If something is flawed it’s not true, and if it changes it’s also not true.  That makes the “Word of GOD” the authority.  Our problem is that we have a problem with both GOD and authority; so we turn to men who we can not only see, but see as equals.  We complicate the problem when we refuse to be obedient and submit to the truth which is GOD.  Every man has and will continue to make mistakes, and our attempt to follow men leaves us misguided.  All the different philosophies, religions, denominations, and whatever else is due to the results of our agreement with other men or the attempt to follow our own understand.  In both cases we start off incorrectly and against the truth of the “Word of GOD.”  Our quest for “TRUTH” is really a quest for “GOD.”  As the “Word of GOD” has always pointed out… those who earnestly seek Him shall find Him.

8. kess profile image59
    kessposted 13 years ago

the reality is anyone who finds truth will not find it apart from himself...
    so Truth is me...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)