WOW I thought I had it bad, I just found this out!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (76 posts)
  1. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

A couple friends I know lived up the street from me. There kids are friends of my daughter. I talk to the mom all the time and they have been out camping for weeks. One of there kids stopped by today, which they have three, all in there teens, he said they lost there apartment and that's why they have been out at camp for the last 3 weeks. OMG

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very common nowadays, I think sad

2. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, a lot of us are having it rough I think. I am at my parents right now and my husband, recently laid off, who is soon to be my ex-husband is still at the house. Since he and I no longer have the money to pay bills, he is no longer paying on the house and instead is saving up as much money as he can until the bank takes the house so he can afford to get an apartment somewhere. It's a rough ticket for all of us. Although my husband and I are no longer compatible, I feel really bad for him in his situation so I am doing what I can on the Internet to supplement his income in this rough time as I was just able to go to my parents and he has nowhere to go.

1. Lisa HW profile image60
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With all that's going on you're sensible to aim to pull together as much as possible, even in the face of separating.  You're not alone - that's for sure.

3. sheristeele profile image61
      sheristeeleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This was very common in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina.  There are many tents and families there still on the streets today.  It is sad.

2. kmackey32 profile image65

OMG I have never heard of a family moving into the woods....

Maybe you don't know many people . I've seen it happen since 2005 at least, in different countries.

2. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I bet they don't think much of the "economic turnround"  sad

kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

IDK but I dont want to talk to them about it because I dont think I am suppose to know.

1. earnestshub profile image80

That is a tough situation, for your kids too. Sorry.

Yea there one daughter is really good friends with my 15 year old and thats not the one who told us. There son did when he stopped by looking for his sister.

3. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is quite common in Bumble Town... we have generations of families who have done this for years! We call them Foresters. Because they are surounded by trees.. many build tree houses coz the timber is free (or Stolen)..

Surely you have heard about the Bear family in the US of A?
      Over the years the Bear family became feral and lived off the land and salmon.  I guess you could describe Their Life as being quite grizley! lol

I see this stuff on TV is all but not in real life...

1. Pearldiver profile image66
          Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Surely you know that bears Really DO s..t in he woods?

4. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They heard that there was diamond rings lying around waiting to be picked up big_smile

LOL funny thing actually when they had there apartment, ya read my thread on the ring, I stopped and showed them it first.

Well if it becomes known that they are camping permanently everyone will know they are gonna need money! Anyone around there got some? If so they need to help now.

Well earnest I thought for a minute about it but I gave them money before they lost there place they sold everything they had and I bought 3 dressers for 80 bucks, and they sold other things to people. I have a gut feeling its going to alcohol and or drugs and you just cant help them with money or thats where it will go.

that is tough. Usually there is something behind any type of drug use that costs a lot of money, Is there a grandfather or someone who could get medical and psychological help for the family? By the way, it was kind and decent to give them some money, luvya! smile

Surly if I had to give, oh I would but I cant put my own family out on the street for another.

1. profile image0
                  Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, OK...  Now this is my 'tough' side.  If there are children and alcohol abuse involved, I'd report them to whatever agency.  They'd have a roof over their heads then...and maybe someone could help the adults.  Living like that is no way to go--and with substance abuse it won't get better.

*edit:  The same thing with this single mom here who had her daughter living with 80 or 90 cats in a trailer because she felt 'sorry' for the animals.  The girl was covered in cat hair and urine...and I'm sorry, as good as the intentions are, or whatever (saving the cats), that's just irresponsible parenting.

Honestly I cant do that to them, the kids were here today and they were clean, so they are staying someplace else. I just cant do that to the parents. Although they have an an addiction problem the kids are taken care off. They are also teenagers. If they were little, I would...

2. profile image0
                    wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree with Lita here.  My "true" career is a social worker and this is exactly the situation that I must report to DHS if I find out about it.  It's a very unhealthy environment for the kids and the parents alike.  Everyone needs help here.  If there are substance abuse problems, they are considered to be putting their children at risk.  They're considered to be a danger to self and others. Not having a roof over their heads is cause for them to be reported and a sort of child neglect.  My two cents...

3. Misha profile image62
                    Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have no doubt you would, and you are, you are that kind of person. smile

2. darkside profile image63
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's gold in them thar hills!

(Or... diamonds in them thar forests!)

Did you read my thread, my husband had found a diamond ring in the dirt when we were having a camp fire in the woods, but we went to the jewelery store and it turned out to be fake. lol

3. kmackey32 profile image65

Well yea, I have heard of it in other countries. I just have never heard of it where I live.

Welcome to the World , kmackey32 ! big_smile

4. kmackey32 profile image65

yea well one thing I also heard is they are getting drunk everday so untill they stop and face reality theres no help for them i think.

1. candice5 profile image58
      candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was just going to say all the homeless people where I am, and there aren't many really, usually booze to much, or smoke too much dak, get kicked out of their houses for not paying the Rent, so they reallty often bring it on themselves, whereas, you aren't doing that. You have just found the recession, that has affected many people.
      I don't think it is the norm anyway. Bad for their kids mostly.

5. kmackey32 profile image65

Ya know I am poor and at times just get by but my rent is first priority. I am always trying to find ways to get extra income, cant ya tell, I'm on this site. lol. I just couldn't imagine having to live in the woods.

6. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

In Arizona we have families in that situation who end up living in the desert.

I bet, I lived in arizona about 8 years ago and my rent was 800 a month, the cost of living was crazy there..... My rent here in PA is 375.

7. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

Aren't there any shelters?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but they overflow even in good times.

We have womans shelters but thats all I know off.

8. kmackey32 profile image65

no I have never heard of any shelters around here.

9. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

It looks like 'American Dreams' end in nightmares sometimes sad

10. kmackey32 profile image65

Bears are animals.. LOL not people. Your confusing me

11. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

The point I was making about bears was: That people adapt to situations (good and bad ones).  From what you have told us; you have had to adapt to things too.

You can't help people who Won't help themselves Kirsty.. Don't beat yourself up on them. hmm

12. kmackey32 profile image65

Yep that's basically what I told my husband.. I can't help them. They put themselves there. I know they had some money and chose to spend it on other things instead of there place to live, I just feel bad for the kids...I am poor myself but my rent is always first to be paid! Then my car payment cuz I gots ta have a ride to work. LMAO

1. profile image0

Well, 'poor' is definitely a state of mind...  (I guess then most of the middle class is 'poor.')

And, sigh, yes, I'd report them.  I sort of understand alcoholics.  But that is just me.  You must do what you feel is right.

13. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I know you have the real stuff Kmackey, and your family must come first. I think a gesture even of a little help is the fire in the belly of those you reach out to.It is always good to have the heart to think of others surely, and we can't save every situation in life, it is always sad though, as we are all one, mankind, and I wish more people had your vision. smile we do something good for ourselves in thinking of others smile

14. kmackey32 profile image65

Yea I think I am going to make a trip to there camp site tommaro to talk to them atleast and see what there plain is.

15. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I think with your experience and local knowledge that sounds good to me.

16. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

My mother took a long time to get my father into a treatment facility for alcoholics.  I wish she would have done it much sooner...

17. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Completely agree.  Both my parents were/are alcoholics and it's not a fun way to live.  I had a roof over my head and it still sucked.

18. kmackey32 profile image65

yea aaah man I just feel so bad. I almost feel like im turning them in but its only cuz they need help... I just think for them to let it get that bad is something else...

19. profile image0

It's not like they'll be going to jail, Kristy!!!  They will be given a lot of much needed resources.  They do EVERYTHING possible to keep families together.

20. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Don't feel bad about doing the right thing!

I reported my mother to authorities for not brestfeeding my Brother... when I was 4 years old!! lol

We still don't speak!lol

OMG that's just plain crazy.

21. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Did they lose their jobs, or what?  And it is pretty hard to evict people, actually.  ??  I wonder what happened...

And maybe you should try talking to the wife, first?  If that would help.

Im not sure, strangely, I am really easy to talk to and I don't judge anyone, but she never said a word, other then every other day they were moving someplace else. Actually neither one have worked since I have known them, I think they were just on the system.

22. kmackey32 profile image65

omg my daughter just asked me if I heard a knock on the door at 10pm last night. I was up but in my living room, its far from the front door. Apparently her friend had no place to stay. Aparently she was scared we were sleeping and didn't wanna get in trouble.

23. goodfriendiam profile image61
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

Kmackey32, there I changed it just for you and your daughter smile...lol

Oh that's ok. I don't look at drugs as a bad thing. No ones perfect, surly not me either but then you are homeless them its a problem...My teen daughter has tryed pot and no I did not fuss about it. All teens will try it...

1. goodfriendiam profile image61
        goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No I was serious does it look better. And I am only joking with you, I'm from the same neck of the woods you are from PA

Oh where in PA are you from. Yea its better. LOL

1. goodfriendiam profile image61
            goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Plus I must be stoned, because I am posting in the wrong forum...lol..I should be in the pot forum...lol

hahaha well thats ok as long as your not living in the woods. LMAO

24. goodfriendiam profile image61
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

I still look stoned don't I...oh well...lol

25. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

There was some program on tv, and they showed a whole tent village for homeless people.  I don't know if it was in California or not, and I don't know how many other tent villages there are in the country.  People sleep in motels and cars and relatives' houses.  It's a big problem.

26. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

My wife, Pam, was homeless for nearly 3 years, up until just a couple of weeks before we met.  Her survival drive and skills kept both her and a dysfunctional dude who hung with her alive for all that time.  After she and I hooked up, and I shipped the other fellow out on a southbound bus, he died in the hospital some 6 or 7 months later, lungs full of green stuff.  That was 1997 (we met in 1996).

We've had financial ups and downs since that time.  During  one low side in 1999, we lived in a tent (with 4 cats!) for about 6 weeks (yes, in the woods!), although at the end of that time we'd secured a bare-land acreage in Montana and had managed to fund a shed-turned-cabin--and those experiences inspired my most viewed Hubs to date.

A cousin of mine disappeared a few years back, turned up dead in the mountains (Oregon, if I recally correctly) in her tent a couple of months later.  Pistol lying beside her, but no evidence one way or the other as to whether it was suicide or homicide.

OMG that's terrable....Well I know my friends husband has turned down more than one job so I have to remember he is not trying. I just dont understand why she is following him.

27. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Kristie, you are on the right track and will get better soon financially, I have no doubt. smile

Oh I hope so, btw we need to get things going about you know tomarrow. Its 3am here. LOL I just had to go pick up my husbands brother so he could stay here cuz he was at the bar. At least hes knows when not to drink and drive. smile

1. Misha profile image62

Oh yeah, i expect things to finally get going wink

1. profile image0
          wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gonna share with the class?  wink

No its a secret. lol misha I gots to get some rest I will email you in the morning. k

1. Misha profile image62

Hi secret lol

Sure, go get some sleep smile

2. candice5 profile image58
              candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha people hate not being in on secrets.... smile

28. profile image0

Better stay away from the forums tomorrow.  Havin' some funky kmisha32 gig goin' on.  I shutter to think...  yikes

1. profile image0

You said it.  I think I will anyway, and in spite of...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)