How can the human race believe in the bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Angel McGee profile image61
    Angel McGeeposted 13 years ago

How can the human race believe in the bible?

Can you believe in a book that was written thousands of years ago by a group of old men? How can you trust that they just weren't delusional?

2. Lady Wordsmith profile image74
    Lady Wordsmithposted 13 years ago

I can't believe in a book that was written thousands of years ago by a group of old men.  I think they were delusional smile

3. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image61
    Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 13 years ago

it's hard to believe in the bible when all it translates to is books, but, i htink you're supposed to believe in the moral of the story rather than the story it self

4. Angel McGee profile image61
    Angel McGeeposted 13 years ago

I cannot believe in something so... There is no evidence that there is a God. It is very hard for me to believe in something like that. I cannot believe in the bible for who knew what these men were thinking when they did it.

5. spookyfox profile image60
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

That's a good question. I believe, as much as people will tell you that they found god in themselves and all (I'm not implying they're lying, I do believe they believe so), the context is very, very important. The fact that lots of people go along with it makes a very strong case, and of course, being raised being told it is true also plays a part.

Just as you see the word blue and you link that to the blue color, they think of the bible and link it to truth. But the reality is that connection is not real, just like 'blue' is not blue.

6. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 13 years ago

'IF God wrote his book like now i would have to wonder why it took so long...'. Hanging Out.

Why did it take him so long?

The World is billions of years old.

The Sumerian civilization - that built the fabled city of Ur - flourished six thousand years ago (4000 BC). We know a fair bit about these people because they left written records.

The worship of the Egyptian Goddess Isis: 'she who was, is, and shall be forevermore', can be traced back to before 3000 BC.

Most scholars agree that the Old Testament  only dates from around the first Babylonian captivity: circa 500 BC. I will allow that the Jewish scribes that wrote the OT were using source material: oral tradition, that dates back further - to about 1500 BC: for the siege of Jericho for instance - but even this leaves the Bible adrift by about two-and-a-half-thousand-years.

God made everybody - Right? This includes the ancient Sumerians and the Egyptians.

Why on Earth didn't God tell some Sumerian scholar the TRUTH? Why did he allow them to worship false gods for so long?

Furthermore, why did God allow the Babylonians: who worshipped Marduk - the solar (golden) calf - to build an empire that included Israel and Judea?

Did the Jews ever build an empire?

Was subjugation by the Assyrians,Egyptians,Babylonians, Greeks and Romans
    the price that the Jews had to pay for knowing the TRUTH?

What good did 'knowing the TRUTH' ever do for anyone?

It has gotten plenty killed - I do know that.

7. Jaggedfrost profile image60
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

I might protest this thought  that my grey hairs and gender  might nullify my thoughts  i will try not to talk of God  heaven knows only the loonies do that  lets talk of things  you can see and touch  but only that which you can stomach  lets not... read more

8. CARIBQUEEN profile image63
    CARIBQUEENposted 13 years ago

If it alleged that these old men were delusional, why is the bible still around?  Shouldn't it have been thrown out a long time ago as old wives tales? So many history books have been written many years ago and we still consult them and reference them to improve our knowledge. The bible is supposed to be God's holy book and word. Let us take it as it is just as we would any other history book.  We reverence other authors, why can't we do the same for a bunch of 'old men'. Belief in the bible or God is a choice. I do not think anyone is being forced or coerced to believe in either. I read aesop fables as a child which was written by someone old.

9. luxoccasus profile image60
    luxoccasusposted 13 years ago

Considering most of the OT is a rip off of Babylonian and Egyptian stories and archetypes and it is sold otherwise that gives it a credibility of a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

10. Georgie98 profile image59
    Georgie98posted 13 years ago

The English language started out as just symbols, lines, and no grammar.  However, if you picked up a bible printed in the 21st century you can guarantee the linguistics will be perfect.  Only other person(s) could write those words creating meaning, and not interpret what someone had previously written.
    I am unsure if God exists or not, I believe in heaven, but I am not sure about God.
    @ duffsmom - I do have faith, I have faith in myself, my friends, my family, my achievements. That is faith, and it is very strong so don't ever question that.
    Also you might not be able to see love or the wind, but you can definitely feel them both.

11. arb profile image76
    arbposted 13 years ago

I notice questions pertaining to God always draw harsh comments from two opposing sides and all the minus scores reflect the existing animosity between the two opposing sides but, I will risk the awaiting wrath despite my inner voice telling me to stay away. I suppose in reading any book it's content either speaks back to you or it doesn't. I know people who after reading a host of opinion walk away sold. Probably why so many books are written. What a person chooses to believe is one of the few truly personal freedoms that we have and if the Bible speaks to people who in turn believe then I applaude their reading and their right to draw their own conclusion as much as he who believes in little green men. After all, it is what colors our world with so many fasinating people. In the end, truth will claim her followers. They may descend from Mars or He might descend from Heaven. Either way, it was each of ours to choose.

12. Juliet Christie profile image67
    Juliet Christieposted 13 years ago

Yes I can believe it. This book covers numerous topics.How much of it have you read? try reading all of it, compare most of the stories in the OT and you will see that most history books will verfy.

The  writers of these books were not old men then.I see them as Historians.Many of the stores differ a little because of the writers,If you read  Mathew ,Mark, Luke and John you will observe the difference.However the meaning of the story and theme remains the Same
    God did not literally write the Bible the olnly part  of it said  to be  written by God was the ten commandments.

You have chosen a vey Good question to carry a debate though

13. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4030529_f260.jpg

It's called having faith and free will to believe in anything you choose. Whatever you choose to believe is common sense is what you will believe.

14. Green Wasabi profile image60
    Green Wasabiposted 13 years ago

Well it is crazy to believe, that earth was created few thousand year ago, and fossils were dropped there and there just to test out our faith. (And It is what creationists were actually claiming! smile. However there are good and useful things in Bible as well. I like the attitude that you don't have to believe blindly, you need to check yourself. And for example effect of being kind to people can be easily checked. So those old men knew at least a part of what they were talking about smile

15. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

i've asked this same question many times. i'm amazed that people believe in a book that was translated many times but they still think it is accurate and truthful.

16. profile image0
    ShoppingGuruposted 13 years ago

Here is my 100% honest response. I believed in the bible because of tradition. No one in my family questioned it. So, I didn't even think of openly questioning it, though internally, I had my doubts. Our beliefs were a way to cope with reality, and give a flowery answer to things we didn't know how to explain.

As an adult, I am currently the only atheist in the family.

17. profile image0
    CollBposted 13 years ago

I for one, believe in the Bible, if just purely for its beautiful psalms.  Some are so captivating, I've taken to using a couple of psalms as part of my prayers which I try to do regularly.

As a general guide, it fits into the moralistic approach to life in that Jesus tells us to love our neighbours as ourselves and not to covet other people's properties, goods, spouses and such.  However, the intricacies of the concepts and wording makes me wonder at how ordinary people like Matthew, Mark, Luke and John can coin phrases or ideas distinctively.

The Ten Commandments and other life guides can apply to society now and the final chapters about 'wars upon wars', floods, natural disasters and widespread diseases are so relevant to our lives today.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)