Why do religious people always try and push their beliefs on you?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Roger Rabbit profile image61
    Roger Rabbitposted 13 years ago

Why do religious people always try and push their beliefs on you?

2. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years ago

hmm...I don't know I'm a christian and they do the same thing to me, so I don't do it, but than why do non-believers do that to, where they want to persuade you into believing there is no God! It's amazing it works both ways, I just get caught in the crossfire, and raise my hands up in the air, and say let's just live in peace instead of war! lol

3. DonDWest profile image70
    DonDWestposted 13 years ago

Much the same reasons why companies try to push their products on you or politicians try to push their beliefs on you. Religions face a lot of competition.

4. Jeannieinabottle profile image92
    Jeannieinabottleposted 13 years ago

Religious people believe they are doing you a favor.  They think their believes are the "right way" and want you to join them.  Some people just can't believe that their religion is not the only religion out there.  Just because it is right for them does not make it right for the rest of us.

5. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 13 years ago

Once they get you converted , they will shove the collection plate in your face - it's a business and a very profitable one at that; just look at the Vatican City. That's why. Maybe take your kids to the back room too if you're not careful.

6. CARIBQUEEN profile image63
    CARIBQUEENposted 13 years ago

I think that it is their anxiety for you to see their point of view. They may mean well but go about it the wrong way and it can completely turn you off.

7. www.lookseenow profile image61
    www.lookseenowposted 13 years ago

Not many of us can be teachers, knowing that we are to receive heavier judgment that is based on a higher standard than what we may not possess.  If it’s about religion then it should not be pushed, but the thought content of it’s being based on truth should be made clear.   If, though we do have the said standards for curriculum, it should be properly introduced.  The thought content should be read with emphasis and the application made clear.

That’s where teaching comes in, but where are teachers, writers, and media, and why aren’t they instructing the people?  Are they encouraging, are they declaring practical advice on marital relations, and moral issues in their meeting places?  What about the rearing of children, and other practical matters?  When is the last time you heard a priest or a pastor read a Bible verse?  The truth speaks for itself if it’s based on God’s word, and is it being taught by capable men who are qualified to teach. 

Someone is needed, as teachers with their teaching—making scriptural application clear, and precise—then there would be no rampant problems with marital relations and moral issues in a religion that is based on love of neighbor.  If, then a religion were based on love of God, and love of neighbor it would be welcomed.  Yes, that’s what I need give to me a religion that is based on brotherly love—a love that does not work what is injurious to his neighbor.

8. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

I think that while it is enough to drive one crazy, even Christians, people believe they are doing what God wants and bringing more to Him.  They need to realize you cannot drag someone kicking and screaming to faith.

I also wonder why non-believers feel the need to mock believers instead of being tolerant and allowing all of us, believers, non-believers, whomever, to believe and practice what they want.

Often I see non-believers in forums berate and mock believers, saying, "There is no God and anyone who believes is an idiot," or weak, or whatever.  Instead of simply saying--"I do not believe and let it go at that.

It is all a mystery to me.

9. akuigla profile image59
    akuiglaposted 13 years ago

I had unpleasant push from muslim person.
    But the most negative are non-believers who quite often talk against God, and anyone who believes,using obscene and offensive words.
    Im a cristian and am trying not to push my belief on anyone.
    My deepest belief is to show who I am with my deeds.
    Without mentioning my religion.

10. Rastamermaid profile image65
    Rastamermaidposted 13 years ago

I'm a spiritual person person,with a religious upbringing and I have never had a religious peson try to push their beliefs on me.

Your religious beliefs are yours and should not be altered unless you chose to on your own but by being bombarded my religious bullies.

11. Edoka Writes profile image61
    Edoka Writesposted 13 years ago

I believe it is because they feel their truth is right; so, out of love for a fellow human being they are compelled to share their faith in a loving God.
    The reason I am tolerant is because I know it is out of concern and hope for what is to come.

12. profile image0
    jasper420posted 13 years ago

I think its because they feel so strongly about the issue and that since it helps them it will then help others as well i think they have good intintions

13. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 13 years ago

You can call it spiritual egotism. "More right than you"; "Holier than thou"; "I know God better than you"; "I am morally better than you", "I am okay, you are not okay".

14. Freethinker79 profile image59
    Freethinker79posted 13 years ago

Because they are taught that if you dont believe what they believe then you are wrong.

15. profile image0
    Sam-Hookposted 13 years ago

Many religious people say (and very well may believe) that they are saving you from hell, or leading you to a better more fulfilling lifestyle... but really, by persuading someone else to participate in their faith they are reaffirming their own beliefs.  This is comforting to them - if someone can be convinced to believe in their religious brand then they are "right", and that can be psychologically beneficial in that it relieves anxiety in the uncertainty of his or her own mortality - or  - it can unify a group of people creating a dichotomy, or set of dichotomies which place preference on their personal views which can serve as a part of an ideological arsenal when beliefs are challenged - or -  a score of other benefits that come from a "certainty" in ones worldview.

16. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image59
    Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 13 years ago

maybe they think they're doing you a favour, trying to save your soul or something, when in reality, they're jsut annoying you

17. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 13 years ago

Some of us don't.  On the flip side, some of us often feel as though we're being put on the defensive if we by chance mention that we are believers.  There is a HUGE difference between a Christian/Muslim/Buddhist/Hindu and a militant religionist.  Because I choose to believe a certain way does not mean that rules become more important than people.  The long and short of it is this - God commanded love - I'm here to love.  I'm not here to debate, argue, convince, cajole, plead, or convert.  I'm personally of the opinion that the best way to "spread the Gospel to all the world" is to live as Jesus commanded.  Period.  Nothing more than that.  And, if someone happens to find that remarkable and asks me how/why I do it, I'm more than happy to share my reasons.  But, I don't offer it.  What's desired will eventually be sought and pursued.  If someone isn't coming to me seeking answers, I don't feel it necessary to beat them up for not having asked the question.  smile  Have fun with this one!

18. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

they don't always. like anything, some do but many just go about living life. i'm an athiest but i don't think religious people in general are bad or pushy though there are some serious exceptions to that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)