What would you do if an old school bully turns up?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. days leaper profile image60
    days leaperposted 12 years ago

What would you do if an old school bully turns up?

And starts causing /trying to cause problems again?

2. profile image52
    Adamgboposted 12 years ago

Bully is a dangerous behavior to any person. If an old school bully turns up trying to cause problems again after you think everything was over, remind him or her to stop. If he persist report him to the authority.

Do not take law into your hand no matter what you believe or the extend of the provocation. Taking law into your hand may cause more harm than good. It is not about you, therefore do not take it personal. It is not also about the person, do the right thing and stay ahead of the game. Have your plan to stay ahead and practice it many times. It is important to prepare for the action before it occur. Be familiar with potential bully behavior and keep your cool. Refuse to play the victim card and be  brave.

Educate yourself about bully and why people suddenly become bully and enjoy bullying others. Education  is key to understanding strange behavior or others.

Stay quite and refused to be upset. Don't allow your happiness to be in the hand of another. Ignore the bully and pretend not to hear him or her. Stay ahead mentally without taking laws into your hand.

Document the action by the bully and your reaction for legal purposes and witnesses. In some State bullying is illegal. But only the authority can take action against the perpetrator. Be smart. Attack him or her with silence but report incident to the authority always. Name your witness. Be consistent.

3. jjackson786 profile image80
    jjackson786posted 12 years ago

Oh my. What I would LIKE to do in this situation and what I know is RIGHT to do are two very different things.

I was bullied all the time in elementary and middle school. People pretty much left me alone in high school, but the damage had already been done. Those kids were so mean to my sisters and I.

Several of my former bullies have actually genuinely apologized to me. One even admitted that the reason he was so nasty to me was because he had a crush on me.

I suppose it depends on the bully. Generally, I think I would just revel in the success I created for myself WITHOUT torturing any hapless souls along the way.

4. ii3rittles profile image78
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

I would act like I never knew them then they would seem crazy and would get embarrassed and stop. People who get off on bullying others have a huge self-esteem issue inside of them. They never felt good enough so to make others feel worse makes them feel some what better about themselves. I know someone who does this as she's 20 years old! She feels so bad about herself that in order to feel good she has to start drama and make people feel bad.

5. Alex Mathews profile image58
    Alex Mathewsposted 12 years ago

That would depend entirely upon the situation. If the bully is being physically threatening, then I would take legal action against the bully. We are adults, and thankfully, there are consequences for our actions.

If the bully is saying really hurtful things, that are not in a semi humorous tone, then I might ignore the bully completely, like he/she does not exist. Or I might say something rude back, like "Does it really still make you feel better about yourself to put others down? I thought you might have grown out of it by now!".

Some people don't know how to interact with other people without being rude. If that is the case for your bully, then I would use some playful banter to build rapport. Some people actually LIKE IT when you are rude to them!  I don't understand it, but I even have some close friends that are like that. When I try to be sweet, or caring in any way, they get angry and mean. But when I am bantering with them, they look at me with adoration.  It's totally bizarre!

It helps to know why someone does the things they do. But you don't have to have a complete understanding of what motivates someone in order to interact with them, or build rapport.

Try to think of interacting with the bully as an experiment. That will take away a lot of the personalization of the situation. You are the scientist, trying to figure out what makes this weird creature tick - what is it that you can do to make this creature behave differently? And then have fun with it! Just make sure that you don't get caught up in the fun of it and turn into a bully yourself...

Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)