How many minutes a day is recommended for tanning/sunbathing?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. ii3rittles profile image79
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

How many minutes a day is recommended for tanning/sunbathing?

I'm doing one hour most days. I don't burn and I use coconut oil for sunblock/tanning oil.

2. stars439 profile image59
    stars439posted 12 years ago

I do not know, but be careful because too much sun is not good. GBY.

3. Larry Fields profile image69
    Larry Fieldsposted 12 years ago

Good question, and also a tough question.

There's been some really good press in recent years about the health benefits of Vitamin D. If you don't get some sun exposure--and don't take a multivitamin--your Vitamin D status may be less than optimal. Good food sources include tuna, mushrooms, eggs, and butter.

Once you've optimized your Vitamin D, a lot of UV exposure beyond that will increase your risk of skin cancer.

I'm very fair-skinned, and get sunburn just from thinking about the sun. OK, I'm exaggerating slightly. But I'm probably more at risk than you are.

My understanding is that the jury is still out on the extent to which sunblock decreases the risk of skin cancer. Although coconut oil may be a good general skin care product, it's not a good sunblock.

Sorry, I can't give you a firm number of minutes of sunbathing per day.

4. ii3rittles profile image79
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

Coconut oil is actually natural sun block. look up info on it. The stuff is quite amazing on what it can do for both skin and body. Most sun blocks have it in um. I for one wont use sunblock because your baking chemicals on your skin. The sun doesn't give you skin cancer. The crap you put and use on your skin before going into the sun is what gives you skin cancer.

5. kirsteno profile image60
    kirstenoposted 12 years ago

I don't think anyone really should tan/sunbathe.  It's not good for your skin.

6. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

Tanning too much will cause cancer on the skin. So, with the sun temperature being so hot nowadays, it is better not to expose yourself too much. Get a better sunblock to avoid getting skin cancer.

7. JMAW profile image59
    JMAWposted 12 years ago

depends on time of day and the SPF sunscreen.  it is advisable to not sun yourself between 10-3 because those are considered peak hours.  i have a couple tattoos so I use sunscreen when I'm swimming but i rarely lay out in the sun like alot of people.  I do spend alot of time in the sun because I live in Hawaii though so, i'll use hats, other things to cover up.  a lasting tan comes over time, just like anything else, a little bit a day will give more long-term results imo

8. vellos profile image60
    vellosposted 12 years ago

There is no one answer for every person. It depends on your skin type, whether you've recently tanned, etc.

To be safe, start out slowly. You might tan from 10-20 minutes your first time out. Lean towards the lower end if you are very pale or haven't tanned in some time. Then you can gradually increase your time in the sun. If you notice any burning, then cut back but the point is not to get that far.

9. Loveslove profile image61
    Lovesloveposted 12 years ago

NON..dont do it unless you want to risk skin cancer.
    Since my cousin died at 25 from skin cancer ,which started as a small mole on her leg
    I do not intentionally sun bathe...the only tan I get is from just exposure to the air when going about my daily life.....a life which could be cut short if I get skin cancer from sunbathing...

DONT DO IT  AT ALL !!!

10. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 12 years ago

I recomment 0 minutes. OOOPS! I probably should not have answered this question; I have a natural, permanent tan.

Seriously, though, I worked in the health insurance industry for a number of years and around the late 1970s, I started seeing a growing number of claims for the treatment of skin cancer and I had no doubt that one of the primary things behind that was the up-and-coming "tanning trend". So, my recommendation is that people spend only about half an hour (and no more than three times a week) sunbathing or lying in "tanning machines".

11. Brinafr3sh profile image80
    Brinafr3shposted 12 years ago

I believe for sun tanning, its been said to be for about 15 minutes a day.

12. sairakhan profile image40
    sairakhanposted 12 years ago

i didn't like sun bathing because i like my skin colour.Moreover i am in India there is no trend of sunbathing over here.

13. profile image0
    vinsanityposted 12 years ago

Usually an hour, although you have to think about how much sun your getting outside of the tanning booth. It can all add up to a dangerous amount.

14. profile image0
    Temirahposted 12 years ago

The National Osteoporosis Society (www.nos.org.uk) recommends 15-20 minutes sun exposure 3-4 times a week, without sunscreen.  Expose your face and arms, even on cloudy days, as we need vitamin D from sunlight in order to absorb calcium.  Be careful not to burn. So, sensibly that would mean staying out of the sun when it's at its highest (11-2pm-ish). 
    Vitamin  D is vital for maintaining strong bones and a healthy tan (an emotive phrase as a lot of people don't believe there is such a thing) can add to wellbeing. 
    The key is not to burn, which damages the skin and as it repairs itself cells can mutate and become cancerous.  Long term sun exposure leads to premature ageing - wrinkles and loss of the skin's elasticity. 
    Moderation in all things is a good philosphy for life.

15. JayeWisdom profile image88
    JayeWisdomposted 12 years ago

Even if you don't burn, when your skin tans, it is actually because the sun is causing damage to your skin. This may not seem important to you if you're young and having a tan is a top priority for you.

However, skin cancer isn't only a worry for older people these days. There is now a high incidence of young people with melanoma, which is the most dangerous of skin cancers because it metastasizes so quickly and often proves fatal. My cousin died with melanoma, even after multiple surgeries and other treatment.

People with blue or green eyes are more at risk for melanoma, but anyone--even people of color--can get sun damage and skin cancer.   Is having a tan worth that outcome?

I'm nearly 68 years old and never liked being out in the sun enough to have a suntan, yet I have sun damage simply because for many years (before I knew the danger of sun damage and began using sunblock daily) my skin was exposed to the dangerous rays of the sun while driving or the short time I was outdoors.  I'm having a basal cell skin cancer removed from my skin in two weeks, and will likely need a skin graft. Basal cell is the least dangerous of the skin cancer types (if it doesn't grow too long), yet it can go deeply enough that removal can be disfiguring. Is a suntan worth a bad scar on your face?

Only you can answer the questions I've asked, but I hope you will take what I've written to heart. I cautioned younger family and friends about the dangers of suntanning (including tanning booths) for years, but mostly they didn't pay much attention until the sun damage began showing on their faces. After you can see it, the damage is done. You may not get cancer for years (or you may get it sooner rather than later, especially melanoma).

I realize this is a "preachy" answer, but I truly worry about the harm that suntanning can cause. I hope you will take my answer in the helpful spirit in which it is intended.

16. erorantes profile image50
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

The Doctors  advice is 15 minutes on the sun until you tan.If you do not tan ask your doctor.

17. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

All that is needed is fifteen to twenty minutes a day to get the amount of Vitamin D our bodies need and the amount for our skin.  However, we might want to sunbathe more, but I'm not sure it is good for the skin.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)