Is torture worse than murder?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Miss Info profile image67
    Miss Infoposted 12 years ago

Is torture worse than murder?

With murder, you are usually spared the affliction of pain. However, with torture you have a chance to stay alive. Which do you believe is worse?

2. jrsearam profile image60
    jrsearamposted 12 years ago

Legally speaking it is not. While torture involves holding someone against their will and inflicting some form of aggravated assault, our legal system establishes more severe penalties for taking someone's life.

3. Neil Sperling profile image58
    Neil Sperlingposted 12 years ago

that depends on if it is happening to me -- or by me!!! LOL

4. keepitnatural profile image60
    keepitnaturalposted 12 years ago

I would say Yes! Depending on the degree of torture, if it were me faced with it I would just beg for a bullet in the head rather than an arm or leg cut off.

5. WindMaestro profile image58
    WindMaestroposted 12 years ago

The only time torture can be worse than murder if it is perhaps a tortuous murder. I do think killing a person is worse than afflicting pain on them, no matter how painful it might be. One you have the ability to live through, the other you don't. Now, whether it is a choice of having either torture OR murder, than murder would be the best course, since there shall be no physical or psychological repercussions.

6. mcrawford76 profile image88
    mcrawford76posted 12 years ago

I would say go watch Hostel & Hostel II - Then tell me that torture is worse. They usually beg to die by the end of their torture.

7. Toby Simon profile image41
    Toby Simonposted 12 years ago

yhep, try mcrawford76 said..i'm sure you'll get a satisfying answer with your question..

i can also add some answers,
    i think physical torture is worse than murder specially when they cut off something from your body parts and live forever with that memory..

mental torture is worse than murder only when you got mental torture enough to become a crazy person then your life would be busted coz you're not yourself anymore..

also torture would become worst if it could lead a person to do suicide..Murdering yourself is worse than murdering someone else..but murder is a bad thing so don't do it to yourself or to someone else..

8. zduckman profile image60
    zduckmanposted 12 years ago

WOW...now that is really splitting hairs. They are both inexcusable in ANY situation. PERIOD.
    That is like saying which is worse, snuff films or rape....WRONG ....both are evil.......

See the movie "Taxi to The Dark Side" on youtube...it is about the US military torture

9. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 12 years ago

What you're really asking is the choice btw 'dying alive' or merely 'existing'......
    Both are incomparable.

10. mskills profile image81
    mskillsposted 12 years ago

I would imagine that most situations where you expect to be tortured will likely be followed by death.  Therefore, given the choice of dying immediately or being fatally tortured, I would choose murder.

11. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

I really don't like pain. My near death experience was peaceful - no pain. But, I love life, which can be painted with a broad stroke of the brush or with a fine pointed round brush as far as pain goes. Inflicted torture, be it physiological or psychological, as a tool for intelligence, quirky psychological causes, or hedonistic desires I at least can acknowledge and understand, yet not necessarily condone.

It is the pain, which is consequential, in everyday life that burdens me. When the sharpness of a child's tongue with a playmate causes tears, I feel the tears. Yet, with maturity we develop defense mechanisms for these acts of pain, well, for  most instances.

C.S. Lewis discussed pain with his book "The Problem with Pain" of experienced loss. Well, I better stop or I will get the hub warning, but summing up murder - worse than torture? Morally - Yes, as far as compared to the pain of torture, I don't know yet, since the near death experience can be explained by misfiring neural networks.

12. KK Trainor profile image59
    KK Trainorposted 12 years ago

I guess it depends on what kind of torture and how well you can deal with it. But I would think it would probably be better to live through torture than to be murdered. Life is a good choice.

13. profile image0
    James E.posted 12 years ago

I have to agree with KK Trainor..."Life is a good choice!"  As a former Soldier we are trained to endure as a pow, but when it really happens to you...it all depends on what you have to live for I would think.

14. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5091787_f260.jpg

The Senate extended the Patriot Act for four more years in part because they believe 57% of Americans support torture.

Apparantly I'm in the minority that is against torture because it simply doesn't work to get info . Period.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl … roof_.html

15. Rob Winters profile image77
    Rob Wintersposted 12 years ago

The degree of torture would be a factor i suppose and as jresearam states legally speaking murder is the more serious offence.

However if asked whether you would like to find yourself at the mercy of someone intent on "simply" murdering you or someone intent on inflicting an unpredictable level of hideous and unspeakable acts of pain and depravity on your person i think torture comes out worse.

Also i'd imagine there are many different types of people who do or could commit murder wheras it takes something different to make one capable of torture. I can imagine forgiving or understanding murder (obviously not condoning it ) in some circumstances, say for instance you came home to find someone abusing your children but it seems harder to say the same about torture.

To take a life obviously can never be down played in any sense but i find it difficult not to find the idea of extreme and unforgiving torture more abhorrent. I know some people can recover and even grow (hard as that seems) from the experience of torture wheras there's clearly no comeback from murder.....

I'm going to say torture is worse but i'll reserve the option to change my mind -so many factors.

Good but tough question Miss Info.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)