Why Muslims by and large are hated in western countries?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. mtariqsattar profile image78
    mtariqsattarposted 12 years ago

Why Muslims by and large are hated in western countries?

Muslims attacked France in732 AD but were defeated by the franks.; consequently franks were dubbed as the defenders of the Christendom at that time.Thus for some time there was no collision between the Christendom and Muslims apart from the capture of Spain which lasted for few centuries.
    Second collision took place through crusades of the Christendom against Muslims.Notwithstanding the bitter past between the two civilizations-Millions of Muslims are citizens of the western countries but one gets the impression-they are not liked by their western fellowmen-is it true or I am being paranoid?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5168037_f260.jpg

2. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 12 years ago

No, you're not being paranoid. Sadly, there is not as much understanding or tolerance of the muslim culture in western societies. This is for two main reasons: Religion - specifically Christianity, which is long known as an intolerant religion, not because the religion itself says to be intolerant, but because that's the way many people translate it into their lives. The second reason that westerners are intolerant towards the muslim culture, is because of government propaganda. Especially since 9/11 and the wars that have been going on in the arab world. Our governments cannot continue their oppression overseas if they can't convince westerners that there is a good reason for it. So they say Muslims are terrorist, ect...

Most of this is done by downplaying peaceful Muslim practitioners and emphasizing violent Muslims who are just as bad as the intolerant christians. It's just sad. Though what is even sadder, is that the Muslim culture is not alone in this. It has also happened, and often continues to happen to Native Americans, the Japanese and African's.

Personally, I follow a pagan path, so I don't have intolerance for other cultures regardless of past history or future possibilities. I don't personally understand how the intolerances can continue the way they do, but they continue on anyways, regardless of any real logic.

3. mtariqsattar profile image78
    mtariqsattarposted 12 years ago

@bizgengirl..This is one good and unbiased perspective that i have got from any one who happens to be westerner.you are right imperialistic regimes of the west do need a help of propaganda to label people as terrorists as it serves their ends.

but it is unfortunate though that ordinary people are led to believe and buy what their regimes tell them.moreover western media colludes with their governments to preach those biased beliefs as they are supposed to i think.

But what is the way out of such guagmire?

4. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 12 years ago

I don't know about Europe, but up until recently, I think Muslims in America were pretty well received. There is a sizable population of them here, and many of their communities have been around for many generations.

Tolerance of course will vary by location. College campuses always have large populations of Muslims and they are for the most part seen as a valuable part of the community.

I live close to one of the largest communities of Arab Muslims in North America: Dearborn, Michigan. People around here, are also very tolerant.

The problem is that we tend to amplify the stupidity of idiots, such as the Koran burning pastor, Terry Jones, which I think makes it seem like there is more intolerance and hatred than there really is.

And unfortunately the larger majority who openly welcome brothers and sisters from around the world, and advocate for peace and tolerance, just don't make for very good news.

I feel fortunate to have met and known so many different people from different parts of the world. Why people choose to put up walls to keep people out is a mystery to me.

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

i think there are a few reasons. 9/11 is one of them, especially the way there was partying in the streets in muslim countries after the attacks. but i think another reason is because we see what happens to countries where the muslim population grows and we don't want it to happen here.

6. Ella Robinson profile image60
    Ella Robinsonposted 12 years ago

It is really sad to think that people who follow certain beliefs are hated. We all are individuals all brought up in different households, with different teachings i myself have a few muslim friends and they are so down to earth and have beautiful souls. Religion is a part of life but it isn't life itself. It doesn't mean it is what a person should be branded and judged over.

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 12 years ago

Very few Americans really hate the Muslims. Most don't even care. As proof, the majority of Americans elected the man named Barack Hussein Obama as their chief of state. The US government wants to attack and conquer the Middle East, so its leaders invented an enemy to try to scare the American people. The media also tries to portray Americans as Muslim-haters and Muslims as west-haters in order to foster support for the US government's middle eastern campaigns.

8. JT Walters profile image72
    JT Waltersposted 12 years ago

This is such an odd question as in my opinion American have never hated Muslims. Perhaps certain Americans have hated Muslims but the USA is a big place and I doubt you could even get consencious on something  like that.  We have a lot of Americans that are Muslims.  I believe the Bushes to be hated worse by the USA than the Muslims.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)