What do you do with a cat who has separation anxiety?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Meisjunk profile image74
    Meisjunkposted 12 years ago

What do you do with a cat who has separation anxiety?

Prince Fredward is used to me being home all day, and since I've been busier the past week or so, he's been vomiting while I'm gone. He eats dust constantly and is just a brat all the way around with meowing more and lying down on my things. I've tried spending more time with him, but I still need to get things done!

Please help! How do I help him transition, and how do I balance paying attention to him and doing my own thing?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5336001_f260.jpg

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

you might have to get him a cat companion.

3. Lucky Cats profile image81
    Lucky Catsposted 12 years ago

Hi there.  I like what floraBreen said...maybe a friend..or two!  another thing you might consider is finding out why prince Fredward is "eating dust and vomiting."  He may have a little stomach issue or he may be doing that out of boredome.   I wouldn't rule out a possible physical problem, though.  Check with your Veterinarian about your cat who  "eats dust constantly."

Wishing you well!!!  Beautiful kitty!  Look at that sweet face. 

I have a fantastic idea....combine the two suggestions!  More kitty companions AND a visit to the Vet...how 'bout that?

4. davenmidtown profile image70
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

Prince Fredward is a beautiful boy.  I would take him to a vet to make sure that his vomiting is related to anxiety.  There are many reasons why cats vomit.  I have three Siamese cats and they are the definition of needy.  When they drive me crazy by demanding my attention, I brush them for a few minutes and then walk away.  If they persist I tell them no and clap my hands together loudly.  I treat my cats like children and that means they get disciplined.  I use a spritzer bottle to make my point.  It works really well.  It has not had water in it since 2002.  The important thing is to address his needs.  Show him that you care for him and then go about your day.  He needs to know you care.  As for eating dust, this can be caused by many reasons, such as a vitamin deficiency.  Dust is bad because in older houses it can contain lead.  Hope this helps.

5. NMLady profile image76
    NMLadyposted 12 years ago

Well, I would seperate the cat into one room (with all the comforts of food, water, litterpan) and not much that he can get into bad.... I would not go into him the minute that I get home.  But when I was with him I would cuddle him a lot!  This worked with my little female who was pining for us and getting a bit aggressive....She did have paw pokes out to the other cat but she could not hurt him by reaching under the door.
    Good luck....cats are a world to their own.

6. ttagpine profile image72
    ttagpineposted 12 years ago

You could contact your Vet, & see if prescribing a mild sedative would help.

7. sayrahdee profile image60
    sayrahdeeposted 12 years ago

See if you can find him a friend - I don't think indoor cats get along well on their own, they get very lonely and bored! I have brother and sister cats, and they have been indoor for a while, and although they don't get lonely since they have each other, they get very bored - one of them ate almost 40 of my hair ties and had to get emergency stomach surgery! So now they are with my parents who have a huge backyard, and have been able to go outside and play (I always lived on busy streets). So either let him gradually become an outdoor cat, or get him a friend (or both!). Cats are very social creatures; I sure that he misses you being around a lot and wants some company! I don't think that you should give him any medicine, it's obviously an emotional problem. When Sebastian was in the hospital, his sister Pele pooped everywhere because she got so nervous that he was gone. And I was worried that she needed some medicine! But when he returned, she was back to normal. A friend of mine kept his cat inside all day and he was never there, and he woke up one morning and the cat was dead (and he was only 2 years old)! We think it was because it got too lonely. Treat your pets like you would your children! They think and feel just like we do.

8. Meisjunk profile image74
    Meisjunkposted 12 years ago

Thank you so much for all your answers!

@FloraBreenRobison & @Lucky Cats:  Unfortunately, I can't afford to get him a companion, sad and I'm living with my mother right now, so her rules! We have a Cocker Spaniel that seems to be oblivious to all of Prince Fredward's affections, but they will lie down next to each other (of course while pretending the other isn't even there!).

@davenmidtown: He's an avid licker. He will just sit and lick my hand and arm for half an hour if I let him, so it's never worried me that he'll lick dust off of a chair until now because he's now doing it so often.

That's an awesome tip about the petting and the clapping/spritzer bottle. Thanks so much!

I've never considered a vitamin or other deficiency. I will make sure to ask my vet about it, thanks again!

@NMLady: Prince Fredward already gets so bored with the entire house to roam about, so I'd be hesitant to confine him in one room (Also, I wouldn't want to hear his incessant meowing at being locked up!.)

@ttagpine:  Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't feel comfortable drugging my cat just to get him to behave!

@sayrahdee: We have gradually been letting him outside, but because he's so inept at climbing and fighting, I've never actually just let him do whatever he wanted. When we're outside, we let him out WITH us, and we don't let him leave the backyard. =3 I'm too worried about him getting chased, in a fight, and/or wandering off so far away that he's lost. I'm overprotective, I know! >.

9. truthfornow profile image71
    truthfornowposted 12 years ago

My cat sometimes gets upset when I come home too late and acts out.  She just gets upset about the change in routine.  However, cats are adaptable and will get used to any kind of schedule.  Just give it time.  I leave my cat with magazines that she is free to rip up while I am gone so that she has something to do to pass the time.

10. Greenhousewife profile image81
    Greenhousewifeposted 12 years ago

I have had this problem before and the simplest solution is to just leave the tv on. My cats prefer to watch bears or big wild cats so I leave on either the science/discovery channels or animal planet.

You could also try leaving the radio on for him as well.

I don't think giving him a kitty companion would be a good idea as he is already established as an only child. That could create more stress for him than being alone.

Good luck!

11. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

You could try the Anxiety Wrap: www.anxietywrap.com.

12. ii3rittles profile image79
    ii3rittlesposted 9 years ago

He has mild depression going on.
    Here are other signs : http://purrfectlove.net/2014/08/6-signs … epression/

It sounds like he is an indoor cat. If this is the case, and he is alone (no other cats or animals), there is always a higher chance of depression. My cat went through something similar when he had to stay with my parents. Anyways, you want to keep him happy and entertained. Understanding he is wild at heart is the first step.

Read this  http://purrfectlove.net/2014/06/keeping … cat-happy/
    It explains how to keep an indoor cat happy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)