Is it naive to think that there is 'the one'?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. mtalbot2987 profile image66
    mtalbot2987posted 12 years ago

Is it naive to think that there is 'the one'?

and I'm not talking about the matrix. It seems highly unlikely that in a world populated by 6 billion people that there is one perfect person out there, or is it? Does fate compel us to find our perfect partner or do we just settle with what's in front of us?

2. MAGICFIVE profile image65
    MAGICFIVEposted 12 years ago

Oh, that is the question of the ages!  Romantics will say, YES...there is the perfect ONE...and fate will lead you to him (or her)...(just watch the movie Serendipity for the perfect example of this)...realists on the other hand would say we just sorta "settle."So the question REALLY is...are you a romantic?  Or a realist?

3. ar.colton profile image80
    ar.coltonposted 12 years ago

I have a "one" because I chose him. I don't think there is a perfect person out there for anyone. Every relationship requires work, communication and compromise. But when you make a commitment to someone for the rest of your life you are deciding that they are your 'one and only'. It will take work to keep the the love, affection, romance and partnership alive. It's your choice.

4. Sunny2o0o profile image59
    Sunny2o0oposted 12 years ago

Realistically, every person is potentially compatible with an incredible number of other people, some of whom they will meet and others whom they will never know.  Who each person will end up with, particularly on a semi-permanent basis, is based more upon when and how people meet, as well as which life stage each person is in at the time, rather than the actual identities/personalies of the people involved.

5. puddingicecream profile image69
    puddingicecreamposted 12 years ago

It sounds more like a romantic than someone who is naive. It also depends on what you define as perfect.

6. KateWest profile image64
    KateWestposted 12 years ago

I think there are soul mates that are not always romantic interests and that some people you just connect with magically. True love comes in so many different forms.

7. bonjovigirl2011 profile image61
    bonjovigirl2011posted 12 years ago

well thought there was the one until i met my boyfriend online 2 years ago. I think u feeling happy w that person. It can be what ever u think and feel .

8. stuff4you profile image57
    stuff4youposted 12 years ago

no some people just happen to fall in love with a very compatible person by chance. the chances are, someone even more compatible is within 50 miles for each one of those people

9. Dawn the Chip profile image56
    Dawn the Chipposted 12 years ago

I always believed that there must be a 'one' out there for me somewhere.
    BUT...I spent many years in a string of very poor, erratic, unloving relationships. I actually gave up, deciding it was easier and happier to be on my own, and then wouldn't you know, I met my 'one'
    That was 2 years ago, and I couldn't be happier or feel more secure and loved if I wrote the book myself!
    It has took me to be 46 years old to find this happiness.

What changed? I don't think people appear in your life until your at peace within yourself. The people you are with/attract are usually chosen by you, and they project subconscious faults within yourself. I myself had subconscious issues with trust and commitment, so the men in my life always were untrustworthy and didn't want to commit for one reason or another, but I chose them.

Don't feel downhearted, but be strong and don't go for a second best is what I would say, He will come along one day, if you stay true to yourself and keep your hopes and dreams. :-)

10. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 12 years ago

There should be more than one.

It is the timing that is not right yet. So, this will make a person feels that it is only one.

But when the right time comes, you will know that there is always more than one.

11. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I don't think you just settle, but I also don't think there is just one person that you are suited with.

You find someone that you are compatible or happy with and you make it work. All relationships take work. No one person is perfect.

12. selfdefenselesson profile image60
    selfdefenselessonposted 12 years ago

No. There are multiple the ones.

For every person there are several people that you would categorize as the one for you.

13. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image34
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years ago

relative to infinity, you already are the one, for yourself. you are doing "you", perfectly. so is everyone else. in terms of frequency, there is a "one", who resonates at a highest, (and lowest) frequency as well. by comparing ones insides to others outsides is perhaps foolish, or at least, a poor measuring guide that will always be flawed. by seeing us as separate is where most feel disconnected, when we are not. energy and matter cannot be created nor destroyed, they only change form, all there is, is transformation. go big on that universal law. the partner you "settle for" is perfect, for that time. we will fill our lives with either high values/priorities, or lower ones. there is constant instantaneous equilibration of all life at all times. since all life is made from light as a basis, it is a frequency wave half positive and half negative always balanced out-pain/pleasure-support/challenge-happy/sad-nice/mean. your "soul-mate" is either in the form or one person, or many right now anyway. Dr. Mike

14. Lisa4 profile image61
    Lisa4posted 12 years ago

"THE ONE"?
    It may be all in the way that you look at it...
    I feel I found the ONE when I found my best friend ...
    My husband and I have been Married for 4 years but most importantly we have been friends for over 6 ... It is the greatest feeling of all to know that I will always have someone to turn to!

15. jacqui2011 profile image81
    jacqui2011posted 12 years ago

I think that there is a soul mate out there for everyone. Its a question of finding the right one for you. I was married for 20 years and split up 4 years ago. 3 years ago I met the man of my dreams, he is my best friend, soul mate. We are both on the same wavelength and just seemed to connect., I feel that I have known him all my life. We both feel the same about each other. For the past three years we have been living together, working together and spend a lot of time together. We never tire of each other and never run out of things to say. We have both had a tough time and gone through a lot of bad things at the beginning, but it has made us stronger.

16. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

It's not "naive" but rather "unrealistic" to believe there is ONLY ONE person in the whole wide world of (almost 7 Billion) people who would "get you", love, adore, and appreciate you for who you are. My guess is there are thousands of people across the planet that would fit that bill if you were able to get around to meet them.

However the truth is most of us set up our own limitations/requirements. We naturally seek to "exclude" rather than "include".

We say she/he has to be of a certain race (that eliminates billions of people right there), they have to be of a particular faith (another group of billions are eliminated), they must be from my own country, (this also narrows down the field),  they must already live in my town or at least same state.(Another large segment of the world is eliminated)
    And then we start to list our "personal requirements" such as (age range), height, weight, education & income level, hair/eye color, never been married before or does not have children. We then look at their habits (smoking, bad credit/debts, drinking, drugs...etc), their friends and family, shared goals/dreams in common, chemistry, sexual compatibility, and Does the "timing" coincide with what we want to accomplish?.....etc Last but not least we are always "evoling" (Mr/Ms Right) at age 21 may not be our ideal type of mate at age 31 or 41.

Then there are times when you have "found the one" however they don't believe YOU are the one. Therefore by default that makes them NOT the one.
    I don't think people "settle". I believe with age comes wisdom and we learn to be "practical". We also come to realize that we're not "perfect" either. You come to realize when it comes to relationships it's not so much about "right" or "wrong" but more about "agree" or "disagree". Finding someone who wants what you want and agrees with you on how to obtain those things is the basis for a long-term relationship or marriage. For the most part "like attracts like". Most of us don't look like movie stars and most of us are not going to end up marrying someone who looks like one either.
    "Don't expect to sit next to the moon unless YOU are a STAR!" One man's opinion! :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)