If you are married or have been married, what is the BEST advice you have to sha

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Seek-n-Find profile image70
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 years ago

If you are married or have been married, what is the BEST advice you have to share?

It is not a secret that relationships are hard work!  Even those that love each other much must go through the ups and downs of marriage.  What advice would you give to a newly married couple?  What do many newlyweds NOT understand?  What are the key ingredients to a healthy, long-lasting, marriage?

2. cebutouristspot profile image79
    cebutouristspotposted 12 years ago

Learn to keep your mouth shut if the other partner is on a rampage or hot temper.  You dont need to feed the fire with gasoline.  Marriage is not all fun, so if you expect life to be as fun as it is when you guys are single guess again.

Talk on every step or direction you take specially decision that would affect you guys financially.  Support each other dream

Respect each other for who they are and not what you want them to be.

and the list goes on.

But one important thins is trust.  Once broken is hard to restore.

3. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

Don't buy into the "relationships are hard work!" line. It will only lead you to stay in bad relationships far longer than you need to. The "hard work" is in finding and selecting (the right mate). If it's real "hard work" you are probably with the wrong person.
    My advice is to know exactly what you want and need in a mate. Have the discipline to stick to your "shopping list". Don't fall in love with "potential". You want someone who (already is) the kind of person you want to spend your life with. Life is too short to be trying to change water into wine. Like attracts like for the long term.
    Once you have found someone who "gets you", wants the same things from a relationship that you do, and (naturally agrees) with you on how to obtain them then the so called "work" actually becomes "a labor of love". Finding the "right" mate for one's self is the hard work. You have to want the same things relationship wise to have a great partnership.
    As for key ingredients for a lasting marriage awhile back I wrote a hub with my take. http://hubpages.com/hub/therecipeforrel … phappiness

4. Ania L profile image80
    Ania Lposted 12 years ago

My best advice is simple - talk. Talk and learn about each other as much as you can. Learn about differences between men and women, learn how to say things that the other half would understand. The fact we love each other so deeply and feel like we were one, doesn't mean we actually are.
    We see the world through different lenses and we need a lot of honest and open communication before we can try to see the world through our partner's lenses.
    Also explore the meaning behind words, things like success, freedom or respect may mean something completely different to each of you, so don't assume it's the same what you think - find out what is it for your partner.
    Showing your love - some people want words, other want deeds or gestures - show your love in a way your partner wants, not you.

5. terced ojos profile image61
    terced ojosposted 12 years ago

For both parties.  Seek to be like the all loving God...have this pursuit as the center of your lives.  Seek God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength.

If both of you do this you will find great happiness together.

6. Lady Summerset profile image72
    Lady Summersetposted 12 years ago

NEVER forget the reason(s) that you originally fell in love with your partner and keep that alive.  Remind yourself often!

7. Mercia Collins profile image64
    Mercia Collinsposted 12 years ago

All the stories end with and they got married and lived happily ever after. Many people forget that the wedding is the beginning of the marriage. Marriage takes work every single day. It takes tolerance and understanding and the realization that you can love someone and sometimes not like them that particular day. Marriage does not mean that you suddenly are joined at the hip.

8. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image60
    Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 12 years ago

I think forgiveness is very important otherwise a couple will never outgrow the smallest of issues. Once you forgive, you see the other with fresh eyes. Every partner needs to learn the love language of the other . . . since every person is unique. The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman is worth reading too.

I hope this helps.

9. Hubpage Gal profile image58
    Hubpage Galposted 12 years ago

The best advice about marriage is that it is important to keep one's identity and that includes financially as well. Love is a many splendid thing but with time and familiarity, relationship changes.   With the onset of reality, one got to be aware of changes that could indicate unfaithfulness and not be so much in love to  rationalize that which is obvious.

10. profile image0
    djsdivaposted 12 years ago

Open line of communication! If you do not have communication you can pretty much bet your marriage is doomed

11. DanielNeff profile image59
    DanielNeffposted 12 years ago

Number one would be to temper your expectations. While marriage can be wonderful, it can be very trying at times as well. Like the Bible says, "Those who desire to marry will have trouble in this life."
    Probably the best recipe for success is to always put the other person's needs and wants ahead of your own. IF (a big if) you can always hold to that, you will do well.

12. Godzangel profile image60
    Godzangelposted 12 years ago

Awesome question!!  My wife and I have been together over 3 years and we have been married 3 months so far.  I've asked a ton of people the same question you're asking.  Patience is so so important.  You and whomever you married are going to have different opinions and values about different things.  Unless something could harm you emotionally or physically, be understanding.  Don't be quick to get angry and do reciprocate loving acts.  For instance I've always brought my wife flowers randomly even before we got married.  We tell each other how much we love each other all the time.  If your husband or wife does something that makes you mad or hurts you, let them know in a loving way.  Arguments start when someone starts yelling and words start flying and God knows what else.  There are going to be times that you must hold your tongue even though your furious!  In the bible there's a book called Proverbs.  This book is one of my favorites, it tells you basically what to do and what not to do to have a successful life. One of the verses says "A soft tongue can break bones."  Which means you'll get your point across better in a peaceful manner than you would yelling.  Don't be quick to turn into Samuel L. Jackson on your spouse:)  Oh yeah if things get really crazy, hide all of the sharp objects! LOL Just kidding about that last part.  You know what? Nevermind, hide the sharp stuff: I hope this helped:)

13. Jyoti Patil profile image61
    Jyoti Patilposted 12 years ago

I wont be all negative about it. But I have known one thing for sure that you cant be yourself after marriage. We live our life for everyone but us. I feel a lot has been taken out of me with nothing to gain.
    But yes Marriage has good sides too. Cant think of one right now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)