What to do when family drama works knocks you out?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

What to do when family drama works knocks you out?

Somebody is abused and it hurts, I am too far away and those who are close seem to be blind or just not care. I don't know what to do. I am working on options though I really resent those who just care about themselves and let my mother become a vegetable because of the abuse.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

Is there no way where your mother can stay with you? Because I know there are many people who don't care at all. It would be better to have your mom near you if not with you.

3. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

this is very similar situation happen in my life. no one close by was 'availabe' or seemed to care enough to want to intervene, I was living 4 hours away and had a good job, friends, my daughter had friends, liked her school.
    The situation finally became so untenable I had to move home. i don't know that I would recommend that for everyone.
    It was just what I had to do.
    And, you know what? I was never sorry. I never had any regrets. I left things and people behind I wanted in my life and two of them are still are very important part of my life. So while leaving was difficult it worked for me.
    Now, I do not know if this helps you. That may not be an option for you. If it isn't an option maybe you can speak with those who are close by and get them to reconsider  and make themselves available.
    I am watching the same thing play out again with another family member and this time I can't be the one to intervene. It is very difficult as I mentioned before. I will keep you in my thoughts.

4. GHYSGALS profile image60
    GHYSGALSposted 12 years ago

I understand your situation as I have had to deal with it also. It wears you out trying to figure out what to do and still keep your own mind. I took my mother out the nursing home because of the way she was being taken care of.  thousands a month and no clean beds, no baths, and horrible food. She is home now with a part time care giver and I oversee things when the caregiver is not there. No matter how you shake it . it is difficult.  I am an only child so I don't have to deal with other peoples opinions. My husband has siblings and only one is taking care of the situation. Let go of the resentment as it will only add more stress to your life and go forward and change the situation to suit yourself.

5. gerrywalker profile image62
    gerrywalkerposted 12 years ago

I took care of my mom for 4 years, moved back to FLa to do it. I still don't know if it was good or bad, good for her, bad for me I can tell you that. she was a partially paralyzed stroke patient. I got a lady in to bathe her, I took her to docs, etc. But I left my whole life in N.Ga and now I'm that much older and it's hard to get going again. She was in a nursing home for a while but was so unhappy I couldn't stand it.
    There are senior services most places who you can call but you have to get in touch with them. You could probably find them online. Type in Senior Help and the name of the city and see what comes up, get in touch with them, ask what they can do to help. Abuse is never tolerated and they will send somebody to check out your mom's condition.
    I did find that writing about it at night after a long day of caregiving was a help to me,(I didn't publish it, just wrote it all out, vented on paper.)  I also stayed active and got into line dancing a couple afternoons a week when somebody else was with her.  It kept me sane as I was in touch with people my own age, music and happy activity. If you're going to take care of her yourself, you have to think of your own needs also even for short periods of time.

Good luck and hope this will give you some ideas that help. I think if I did it over again I would have her come up and live at my house with me, that way I wouldn't have lost touch with friends and stayed active up here. It does mean putting in handicap toilet and bars on the tub so there's some cost involved but would be worth it to know she's well cared for and you keep part of your life the same.

6. athena2011 profile image57
    athena2011posted 12 years ago

I'm sorry to read about your situation.

If you can, I would suggest bringing your Mom to live with you. It's obvious that you care and that is what she needs.

I would definitely pray about this too.

7. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

All  of you are diamonds not in the raw!!! Thanks I have been praying about it and told my sisters to have her during the week and week end with them... to look after her money which is a issue here... they want her pension but don't want to care for her or let her be!
    i will make her cross the ocean as soon as i move to a bigger place and my personal finances allow me to...soon!
    Thanks again may you all be blessed for your care and kindness.
    Love and peace to you all

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)