Should a writer still try to post a hub even if someone close to them isn't comf

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. LisaKoski profile image81
    LisaKoskiposted 12 years ago

Should a writer still try to post a hub even if someone close to them isn't comfortable with it?

I wrote a short story (my first attempt at one anyways) and it's based on my past. The only thing is one of the people that was involved in that situation doesn't want me to post it, even though everything is completely anonymous and it's only loosely based on the facts. I feel like I shouldn't publish it without their permission but then it's my story and it's just as much my past as it is theirs. I also don't give names or any other personal details. What should I do?

2. ChristGuidesMe profile image61
    ChristGuidesMeposted 12 years ago

One thing about writing is that it is not just a hobby or an activity, but to many of us, it is a passion and the best way of expressing ourselves that we have.  If we can't express ourselves, then how can anyone ever know who we are?    I don't know all of the facts, but I will say this - I do believe that if it has been place on your heart to write and reveal this story to others, that is what you should do and hopefully, the other person involved can not only accept your decision, but they may even find that it helped them in some way for the tale to be expressed in written form.  smile

3. J Burgraff profile image68
    J Burgraffposted 12 years ago

I would ask whether you are writing 'fiction' or 'memoir'.  Either way you are entitled to do it.  But I think you need to decide what it is.  If you are describing a situation in your 'short story' that is so close to home that someone doesn't want you to write it, then it's probably not really a short story but maybe an attempt by you to disguise the 'you' in this story, but not the 'they'.  In which case, I would understand where the other person is coming from.  If you decide to write it as memoir, then you need to be the main character and you need to be honest and up front about your involvement in this situation while maintaining a respectful anonymity for the others who were involved (unless it's some perpetrator of an evil crime in which case you don't owe them anything.)  Hope that helps, and by the way, it's just my opinion.

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I think you should take some time before publishing the story.  I believe every author online or offline needs to evaluate why they want something personal published.  Even if you have left it anonymous, you know what it's about and so does the person who asked you not to post it. Will you feel comfortable publishing it knowing this person will know you have not respected their request?  Think about why you want it published, is it more important than honoring a request, despite whatever took place between you and this other person? Will you regret it later?

5. kannanwrites profile image91
    kannanwritesposted 12 years ago

In my opinion you should go ahead with it and publish it. We all are 'inspired' by our past and many authors take their past experiences and assemble them in their writings.

For example authors such as Gregory David Roberts (Shantaram) and Chetan Bhagat (The story of my marriage) have written bestsellers from their past personal stories.

Though it's only an opinion, the final decision is yours and the people involved in it.

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

If you are close to this person, I would respect their wishes even if you don't fully understand.  It would be a nice show of respect--they may change their mind later or you could ask what changes you could make that would make it okay for them.

7. etherealdabi profile image65
    etherealdabiposted 12 years ago

Honestly, I'd have to say that this question should solely rest on your shoulders.  None of us knows the story, the person involved, your relationship with them or their involvement in said story. I'd say the best thing to do is ask yourself a couple of questions.  How much does this story mean to you?  How much do you care for this other person?  Were the roles reversed, how would you feel?  Could it possibly break ties between you and this person?  If so, is it worth it?  Try talking at length with this person about it, if you haven't already.  Find out specifically why they are uncomfortable with it and how it makes them feel.  Take things like this into mind, and then answer your question.  You'll make the right decision.

8. mattforte profile image88
    mattforteposted 12 years ago

Ask yourself this question:
    What is more important to you, the other person's feelings, and maintaining respect between you, or having something for a bunch of "followers" to read?

9. LisaKoski profile image81
    LisaKoskiposted 12 years ago

The thing is, mattforte, I don't write to gain followers. The hub was deleted once the person said I couldn't publish it. Saying it would be disrespectful to publish it is in some way true but the hub itself wasn't meant to do anything more than tell a story. I think it's disrespectful to think I would want to hurt someone for the sake of followers or views. If I did, I would've posted it without asking. I just wanted to see how others would've reacted in this situation.

10. DanielNeff profile image61
    DanielNeffposted 12 years ago

This is a tough one.
    On the one hand, you need to be respectful. On the other hand, you will never please everyone.
    All writing (fiction) is somewhat autobiographical. Your experiences are always going to bleed into your stories.
    I assume you gave the piece to your friend/relative to read (or did you just tell them that all the names were changed).
    It's very difficult to give any concrete advice on which way to go without knowing all the details.

11. Godzangel profile image61
    Godzangelposted 12 years ago

No, family and your loved ones are the closest ones to you.  If the dookie hits the fan your followers on hub pages aren't going to be the ones to comfort you or help you.  Loyalty and honor is what makes relationships healthy, happy, and profitable.  There's so many other things you could write about.  Besides, is a few paragraphs worth a dent in your relationship?  This is a good question but I believe it's wise to respect the person or people close to you.  1NELOVE.

12. Matt in Jax profile image61
    Matt in Jaxposted 12 years ago

I've had this same situation arise and I published one that was up for about five months before I finally got enough crap about it that I took it down. Just understand that you might hurt this person by going ahead with it. If you respect them enough, I'd say not to post it up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)