Is it worth sacrificing your hubscore to get more followers?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. LVidoni5 profile image77
    LVidoni5posted 12 years ago

Is it worth sacrificing your hubscore to get more followers?

I notice people do mass following in order to get more people to follow them, but I've also noticed it seems to have a direct relationship with a falling hubscore. So, Is it worth it?

2. MikeSyrSutton profile image70
    MikeSyrSuttonposted 12 years ago

Yes. Everyone knows that this system is screwy and hub scores do not refect the quality of a hub.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 12 years ago

I wasn't aware it would make scores fall and if true I don't see the fairness in that, not that everything here makes sense. One of the reason most are here is to make some money while satisfying a desire and the more people you have visiting your hub the greater possibility of hits thus money so I question the logic here. I don't have ads yet but I love looking for new arrivals that I may have something in common with.

4. Drtruthman profile image61
    Drtruthmanposted 12 years ago

I have noticed the same thing.  It does seem true. I've even noticed that by posting more sometimes your high score of say an 80-90 can drop as much 5 or 10 points by posting too much or too much close together. I do believe however, based on what little knowledge I have of Google Adsense an Amazon that without the increase of followers and subsequent associated hits, you just don't make the profit.
    On the other hand, the lower the score the less it seems followers are attracted to your hubs. I was amazed in my reading on the hub that one women with over 2.4K followers  and has apparently half of everything she writes removed makes a full time living, follows few and comments on none.  she does not reveal her secret and say she will not.  It would be interesting to find out.  I wish I could be more help. If you find the answer, let me know.

5. ThelmaC profile image92
    ThelmaCposted 12 years ago

I follow people that write about topics that interest me.  I pretty much have decided not to worry about my hub score because it makes no sense how it fluctuates.

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Since followers don't earn you money or bring any special benefits why would you risk damaging your reputation with the search engines (having your author score fall below 75 turns all outgoing links to no-follow) by blatantly following a methodology that is guaranteed to drop your score (mass following does kill author score) but isn't a guaranteed method to get more people who won't bring you any benefits?

Followers will come with time if you write well and interact with the community.  I have thousands, but I myself only follow 12 people. 

If you want to go play popularity contests, go do it on social networks, not here.

7. ohsoamberx profile image60
    ohsoamberxposted 12 years ago

In my opinion, I guess it depends on how the writer looks at it. Some people are all about getting the most followers, which in theory would result in the most people reading your hubs. But that isn't always true. Some people follow anyone back who follows them and never reads a single hub written by the writer.

Then there are the people who only care about quality. These are the people that I would think do not mind if they have a low amount of followers. I am by no means saying the first group doesn't have quality writings. I guess what I am trying to say is that in my eyes the people in this group would be happy even if their hub only reached out to one person.

Haha does this make any sense?

As for myself... I have around 26 followers and my hub score is an 85. I am fine with both numbers. I do get excited when I get a new follower but I think I feel more excited when I log in and my hub score went up by 5 points. So as I think about it, I do not think it would be worth it.

8. mattforte profile image88
    mattforteposted 12 years ago

Honestly, I could give a rats arse about followers. They're nice - and it gives a sense of community - so I would like to build up a small following of followers that I can share a two way relationship with. In the end, however - followers do not bring views. Google does.
    If you have 500 followers, and they ALL visit every hub you publish, once, that is garbage. You get one day of 500 hits then 0 after that if you have no Google love. Getting 500 hits day after day from Google, that's gold.

So no, it isn't worth it. It's not worth your time.

9. Hyphenbird profile image81
    Hyphenbirdposted 12 years ago

I love my followers and look forward to their feedback. I use that as a reflection of how people outside of HubPages will feel about my work. I have noticed though that many people will follow me than I never hear from them again. So the number of followers is not accurate or necessarily quality people. I myself only follow people who write about topics that interest me and who write quality pieces. I have never been a mass follower and don't want someone to just click as mine like firing bullets. This is not Facebook or a popularity contest. It is a writing site and a place to earn residual income. That is what is important to me.

10. georgetyler profile image61
    georgetylerposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't but that's because I've recently become obsessed over my hubscore especially as mine is so low. But I wouldn't say that was the write way to go, I think you should just do what you want to but don't try and do something like that just try write what people would like to read and also make it what you want to write about and then you will get a good hubscore, comments and followers.

11. rLcasaLme profile image69
    rLcasaLmeposted 12 years ago

It's not worth it, and why does relache have a (-6) in her answer?
    a follower gained by just being obliged to follow back will not read your hubs anyway. why not create more rich content hubs to attract followers than to force them?

12. THEHuG5 profile image60
    THEHuG5posted 12 years ago

I only follow people who write things that interest me. I want to be able to interact and participate in my followers hubs so if I'm following 1000 people then there is no way that I'll be able to read all of the new hubs that they publish. I don't really worry about it as far as my hub score is concerned. I think it's pretty weird when someone only has like 3 hubs but they have over 1000 followers. It's so confusing it's like how did they do that lol??

13. Suzie ONeill profile image75
    Suzie ONeillposted 12 years ago

I'm not real worried about my hubscore or "mass following." I only follow other writers whose articles I enjoy reading or who write about topics that interest me. As for having followers, I'm not on HubPages to make money (although it wouldn't hurt!). For me, this is my practice platform. It's a place to practice writing, get the opinions of others, and try new things. That's where the followers-- or more accurately, the commenters-- come in to play. Their feedback is a lot of help and I really appreciate it when they take the time to leave comments on my posts.

14. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years ago

The point of following someone is that you get to keep up with new hubs they write, not to get them to follow you back. 

You can get followers by reading other people's hubs and provide insightful comments, and by participating in the forums and answers sections on HubPages.   Once people check out your profile, they can see if you have the type of hubs they like reading, and will follow you if they want.

15. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 12 years ago

I follow people that write hubs that interest me. I then, show my support by reading their hubs and voting up and clicking on any other applicable adjectives. There are times I don't comment because at the time of the reading, my brain can't or won't put a coherent thought together, and I don't want to babble incoherently or make meaningless rah rah comments I prefer to just vote instead.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)