Holidays - At what age would kids really understand or enjoy Disneyland?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

Holidays - At what age would kids really understand or enjoy Disneyland?

Disneyland Paris or Florida are special attractions for kids, but one you hope they will remember….

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5993830_f260.jpg

2. Sinea Pies profile image59
    Sinea Piesposted 12 years ago

I think probably 4 years old is the youngest I would take them.

3. DanielNeff profile image60
    DanielNeffposted 12 years ago

I don' t think there is an age that is too young (we took our son when he was 3 months old. Of course he doesn't remember but it was kind of a family reunion thing).
    I think by 6 they can really enjoy the experience and the "magic,"
    and around 10 they will still enjoy that aspect but also appreciate other things and ride some of the faster rides.
    By 12 they probably don't buy into the magic anymore, but they can ride Space Mountain, still my favorite roller coaster experience of any I have been on.

4. tonyfischer profile image79
    tonyfischerposted 12 years ago

This is a great question and one that my sircle of frienda has been debating for awhile.  My friend recently took his two-year old to disney world.  He said his som enjoyed it but still was going to bed around 7 or so.  Then Mom or Dad was stuck in the room while he slept. 

I think you should only take your kids when they are old enough to put in a full day and evening. About 5 or 6 years old.  So much at night for kids to see and seeing that this trip is usually a once in a lifetime trip, it would be better spent when they can experience it fully.

5. smzclark profile image59
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

I took my daughter when she was five and she loved it! two years on; she still remembers that her favourite ride was splash mountain! I don't know if I'd take them any younger than that if you want it to live long in the memory. It's a long day though and you want to be able to stay for the fireworks :-)

6. THEHuG5 profile image61
    THEHuG5posted 12 years ago

I don't think a kid can truly appreciate it until they are about 9 years old. At that age they can go a full day without getting too tired or whiney and they can enjoy the rides as well as the "magic." Really little kids won't even remember going when they get older so what's the point?

7. debbie roberts profile image72
    debbie robertsposted 12 years ago

We waited until ours were old enough to really enjoy the experience and also to go on most of the rides. Our two were 8 and 11 years old and I think that for them was an ideal age.
    Remember that for a lot of the rides  children have to be a certain height or age, although they do have plenty of rides for younger children.

8. MissDoolittle profile image57
    MissDoolittleposted 12 years ago

Well I've never been to Disneyland and I don't have any children, but I would say that they would truly enjoyand remember it from about 8 years old. Kids start remembering things then and in years to come will say things about their holiday in disneyland.

Would love to go, even now as an adult!

9. Rastamermaid profile image65
    Rastamermaidposted 12 years ago

I allowed my mother to take my son when he was 4 yrs old,he doesn't remember much,but he remembers he couldn't ride what he wanted to because of restrictions (height),since he was with his Nanna and at that age he wasn't hanging out too late.

Now my son is 13 and it's a different story,we're hop all over to all the attractions and love it. We now take advantage of the  Passes and hang out doing things til they close.

So I say younger if hanging with the grandparents,they will wear each other out and sleep very well.Alittle older if you want to hangout,ride,eat and see shows.
    My son loves rollercoasters took him a couple of years but now it's on,so I had to get with the program.

We enjoy our adventures,it's really cool to enjoy fun things with your children.

10. KT Banks profile image61
    KT Banksposted 12 years ago

The first thing I thought when I read the questions is that it is different for each child, and it looks as if that is what most of these comments reflect.

The second thing that comes to mind is that in my opinion, there is a huge difference between Disney Land and Disney World. DL seems more like Six Flags to me, meaning a rather general theme park. DW is more the Magical Kingdom feeling.

Our son was 5 when we went to DW, and he couldn't have loved it any more. He was still young enough to Believe in magic, and now that he's older he likes to look through the pictures and the little autograph book. With mementos like this, you can keep the memories alive for them.

It's always a good time for family time, but I did see a few kids that seemed to have screamed and cried the whole time. I guess overall maturity levels have a lot to do with it. Hope yall have fun!

11. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

I found that my younger (ages 4-7) nieces and nephews really enjoyed the Disneyland section that was built for that age group, the kiddie stuff was thrilling for them. Then as they grew older (into their teens) the rest of the park became more doable. In the middle years (8-12) there was a bit of a cross-over in terms of where we landed within the park. Expect gentle rides and stuffed critters (and the need to interact with the Disney characters that roam around) to be most interesting for the young ones; radical rides, shopping, and lots of junk-food for the teens; and a little of both for those middle years, depending on the maturity of your loved ones.
    Keep in mind that safety must be paramount. Whether in Orlando or Anaheim, big amusement parks are a breeding ground for creepy sicko perpetrators, so keep an eye on your kids no matter what age they are! In any case, Disney can be a magical place; and not just because they advertise it that way!
    Hope this finds you well Lady_E!
    HubHugs~
    K9

12. Lisa Luv profile image75
    Lisa Luvposted 12 years ago

At any age...It is just a pleasant place to be at any age..

13. msviolets profile image83
    msvioletsposted 12 years ago

My youngest was 4 when we were able to afford a trip to Disneyland.  She had a wonderful time, as did her older sister.  They both remember it vividly. 
    We stayed near enough to walk to the park, and walk back to the hotel for naps.  She was petrified of most of the rides, so we focused on meeting the characters and other attractions, or just enjoying the park.  We didn't see or do 'it all'. 
    Some people think our version of a Disney vacation isn't worth spending the money on, and for those people it would be worth waiting until kids have more stamina.  But for us, the trip was lovely and relaxing.  The best part...the kids didn't melt down once.  We think it was because we just tried to have fun, not get our money's worth.  (And we spent a whole lot less than several of our friends!)  It wasn't necessarily an adult vacation, but it was fun!  (And the memories are worth every penny we spent)

14. AnimeHime2011 profile image59
    AnimeHime2011posted 12 years ago

When they are able to talk about their own memories but it also depends on the child since children are a whole lot different because of Personalities and everything. To me the age should be like 4 or older but heck don't count out being 21 (cause I remember my fun times at Disney World lol).

15. algarveview profile image75
    algarveviewposted 12 years ago

I've often wondered the same thing and I've tried to remember myself as a child and at what age I remember things and started to understand what I saw and I think that 6 years old (minimum) might be a good age to take our children to Dysneyland, since I think by then they will be able to enjoy most things, understand them, make the most of them and remember what they saw and experienced. Before six years old I think they won't enjoy it that much and even if they do, they won't remember the trip when they are older, which will be a shame.

16. TeacherCaro profile image60
    TeacherCaroposted 12 years ago

Hi...
    If you are older, you enjoy more as you understand the magic the park has inside.
    I went to Disney in Miami when I was 15 and I only enjoy the situation of being with my friends in another country. I think, if I went again now, I would enjoy more as I would value all the activities, the buildings, the characters, so on. It's full of magic!!!
    I wish I went again!

17. Frankracetteconsu profile image61
    Frankracetteconsuposted 12 years ago

i Went there when i was about 5 or 6 years old and then again after when i was older . i think any age is good. for sure as you grow older you appreciate more and you might even remember more, that being said even if i dont remember a lot from my early trip, i know i was really happy and ultimately that is what family trips are all about . having a good time and living in the moment.   Plus as parents you get to appreciate to see your kids having fun so its great memories for you to.

18. brielise profile image61
    brieliseposted 12 years ago

My boyfriend and I were just there and saw people all over the place with infants and toddlers. It was exhausting enough without kids so I can only imagine what it would be like with a baby! We discussed it and decided 4/5 as the ideal age. My niece is 5 now and I would love to take her because she is in that "magic of Disney" phase. There's a certain age where I can imagine kids taking the fun out of it. As a teenager I would have loved to go - the first time I went I was 20! But from about 11-14 I probably would've felt I was "too cool" for Disney and not been able to appreciate the magic. I think every kid goes through that period where they're trying to prove they're not a child anymore and anything that can be perceived as childish they wrinkle their nose at... and Disney could fit into that category! I outgrew that and now, as an adult, have Disney memorabilia and toys! Haha... can't wait to go back!!!

19. calico Stark profile image59
    calico Starkposted 12 years ago

I think age 7-10, being this is the age of adventure and fantasy! It is also benefits the parents being they are old enough to walk by themselves(meaning you don't have to carry them), give input on what activities they would like to do and will have vivid memories of what they saw.  I hope this helps!

20. Artec profile image61
    Artecposted 12 years ago

My oldest daughter was 5 the first time we visited with her, and to this day, she still remembers some of the things that we did while we were visiting Disney.  She is now 15.  The impression that the park and the developers at Disney make upon the entire family when visiting is tremendous.  My youngest daughter wants to visit, and we will wait until she turns 5 before we take her, which is only 1 year away.  Disney is a great place to take your family, however, make sure you have saved your money, it is very costly.  Universal Studios is the same way, but a very great place to visit.

21. profile image0
    infposted 12 years ago

this is a nice question-  I think age 3 to 13....what say?

22. sukena@gmail.com profile image46
    sukena@gmail.composted 11 years ago

every one above 7 would love it and remember it   for long

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)