What is the key to a good omelet?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. hawkdad73 profile image59
    hawkdad73posted 12 years ago

What is the key to a good omelet?

I'm looking for technique as well as ingredients and recipes here.

2. dipless profile image69
    diplessposted 12 years ago

Fresh eggs, good quality filling, especially cheese. A good pan which is hot. Pour in the egg move it around for 5 seconds or so then let it cook... perfect big_smile

3. Gloshei profile image60
    Glosheiposted 12 years ago

Get your pan hot but not smoking.
    Whisk at least two eggs with a little milk & some ground pepper, place it the pan and leave for a couple of minutes. If you move it around straight away it will break up and look like scrambled ( that's another recipe)
    At this point if the eggs is still runny in the middle, gently lift the side of the omelet whilst tilting the pan slightly so the liquid will go round the side to cook.

When nearly done add cheese or (favourite filling) then flip the empty side over great, it should be nice and brown.
    Other fillings: chopped pre-fried bacon pieces, mushrooms, fresh chopped tomato is nice as well.
    If you are doing more that one you will always find the second one comes up bigger? I think it's beacause the pan is nice and hot now.
    Sorry it's so long. Good luck

4. mppomper profile image58
    mppomperposted 12 years ago

The key is really with the eggs. If your eggs aren't right, the rest can really mess things up. Believe it or not, water works better than milk in eggs as it keep the eggs fluffy and moist but keeps sturdy. As for the recipe, you can use anything you like, as long as you keep as much moisture out as possible. This means that if you like tomatoes, keep the insides of the tomato out.

Putting the cheese down first on the entire surface works well to hold all the ingredients together when you fold it. It also will make sure the cheese is melted first and you can avoid burning or over cooking the omelet waiting for the cheese to melt. 

It taste best if your eggs are cooked, but just slightly moist, not dried out. You can also put salt and pepper in the eggs to blend the flavor and avoid sprinkling it on after causing too much in one place and not enough in another.

Hope it helps. smile

5. yogiwan profile image44
    yogiwanposted 12 years ago

As the others have said, fresh eggs are key.  But the good omelet has to do with the folding or flipping of one half over the other.  This requires a good pan and probably a good non-stick pan as most stainless, aluminum and even cast iron pan will have a tendency for the eggs to stick.  While there are lots of good nonstick the recent developed diamond coated pans provide a superior surface and heat distribution which cooks your omelet to perfection a makes turning the omelet easy.

6. GreenGardenGuy profile image60
    GreenGardenGuyposted 12 years ago

A lot of people don't flip the egg over, they just add the ingredients and fold it up. I like to flip the eggs over, turn off the heat and add the fillings as quick as I can and then fold it over. It makes sure the eggs are fully cooked. I don't like runny egg in an omelet.
    Other than that, I do just like most of these people have said.

7. smzclark profile image59
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

When I do an omelette, I don't whisk the eggs. I just fry enough that they all come together in the pan--- everyone loves my omelettes :-)!

8. Handicapped Chef profile image68
    Handicapped Chefposted 12 years ago

I suggest you use a teflon and some cooking spray and get your pan to medium hot then add your egg while the egg cooks, take a minute to make sure your fillings are mise en place. Anything you like can go into an omelet. In my opinion, some sort of cheese is necessary because it makes the omelet hold nicely -- and then vegetables and meats are great additions. I've grabbed some diced turkey, fresh mushrooms, shredded cheddar, and a slice of swiss and some chives, but it's no big deal. Other good fillings: ham, jack cheese, smoked salmon, bell peppers, crumbled bacon, proscuitto, spinach... What ever you like.

When the egg is about 70% cooked solid, it is time for the second swish. Whatever liquid mixture is left in the skillet, swirl it around the edges again to make the crispy edge layer thicker. Swish #2 is (wait for it) the 3rd key to the perfect omelet.

9. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 12 years ago

A good omelet pan and a lot of butter.  You need to be able to move the egg part around easily without breaking it, and these two things are the key to it.

10. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 12 years ago

Hi
    A good non-stick omelet pan ( these have a side only 1cm high). Fresh eggs and plenty cheese of your choise.
    The ingredients can be what ever you like, but don't forget there are somethings that don't taste to nice when hot.
    When I'm mixing the eggs I put a little milk and a tablespoon of cold water, salt and pepper all together.
    The pan must be m/high and i melt a knob of butter in the pan. Add egg mix and after a couple of min's as it starts to set I first add my cheese all over then add in the other ingredients.
    Depending if I just want an omelet on it's own or with chips/fries depends on the finish. On it's own I slide it on to my warm plate which I call  my "Pizza Omelet" or I fold one half over the other and then cut it in half and put each piece on a warm plate and add chips/french fries or salad or what ever. Done this way I save making two separate omelets and you have them ready at the same time.
    Another omelet that may sound a bit crazy, I had the first time on the island of Crete in the Mediterranean is an omelet with fries on top before the cheese has set. Crazy but it tasted great.
    Hope my version helps.
    LOL Ghaelach

11. bearnmom profile image67
    bearnmomposted 12 years ago

While fresh eggs lend to the flavor the key to a perfect omelet it to have enough cooking oil on the surface so that the egg does not stick or burn and to get it turned so that the fillings especially the cheese are on the heated side to melt slightly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)