Peeled too much garlic. How long will it keep in Olive Oil?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

Peeled too much garlic. How long will it keep in Olive Oil?

2. Hyphenbird profile image81
    Hyphenbirdposted 12 years ago

I would not advise you to put in in olive oil for more than a day, just long enough to flavor the oil. Garlic is a low acid food and can grow bacteria. You can chop it and put it in olive oil then freeze it. It will be mushy and you can dip it out as needed.
    Making garlic vinegar is another option because it will keep for months due to the preservative power of vinegar.

3. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 12 years ago

Cover with salt for a day to remove most of the water in the cloves, drain then put the cloves in a 50/50 mix of olive oil and vinegar, use for salad dressing, keep a couple of weeks in the fridge

4. Joe Macho profile image82
    Joe Machoposted 12 years ago

I agree with hyphenbird. Leaving garlic in oil is a risky business that potentially could kill you. I wouldn't even leave it in the oil for a day. Botulism can be very quick to develop and it would be a real shame to poison yourself. Garlic oil should really only be consumed fresh. That means sauteing garlic in Olive Oil for 3-5 minutes at medium heat before consumption. It's a real bummer huh?

5. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

The garlic won't keep very long in the oil especially if not roasted. If you toast the garlic it will last longer.

About what Hyphenbird said, the garlic will turn blue in the vinegar but it will last longer. The taste may change though, like pickled garlic.

6. mpoche4 profile image79
    mpoche4posted 12 years ago

I you haven't already put it in the olive oil- it keeps for a while in the fridge. It may start to grow and you can chop that part off.

7. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

I have to disagree with Hyphenbird. You can go to your grocery store and buy garlic infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the bulbs of garlic sit resting at the bottom of the bottle of oil.

8. Steve LePoidevin profile image60
    Steve LePoidevinposted 12 years ago

My neighbor used to keep it in oil for ages but apparently that's a bad idea!   Here's the detailed scoop on the answer to this question, http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/fo … l-eng.php.

9. Brandon Spaulding profile image59
    Brandon Spauldingposted 12 years ago

Great Question! I don't know the answer, but I think what you are suggesting makes sense.

10. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

Well, this is two days after you posted the question, so I don't know if it's too late or not. Perhaps you can roast the pieces in the oven, wrapped in foil and drizzled with a bit of oil, and then freeze it for use in mashed potatoes or another dish. When you roast an entire globe of garlic, it makes a wonderful creamy goo that you can add to butter, smooth over a roast or chicken, or put in mashed potatoes. I think you can do this even with peeled cloves if you watch it carefully in the oven, then use it later as you wish.

11. tigerbaby777 profile image81
    tigerbaby777posted 12 years ago

Oh honey!  Don't listen to all the people telling you you will get botulism from garlic resting in olive oil.  People have been doing it for centuries, the beginning of time.  If you refrigerate it your olive oil will become the consistency of butter and it will last a few weeks like that.  If you leave it in a bowl and use it in a few days you will be ok.  I put chopped garlic in olive oil all the time and I'm not dead yet and haven't had any hospital visits because of it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)