Is religion a philosophy or a way of life?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (23 posts)
  1. rajan jolly profile image91
    rajan jollyposted 12 years ago

Is religion a philosophy or a way of life?

2. LawrenceS profile image64
    LawrenceSposted 12 years ago

It depends, on how one might incorporate their religion into their life. If you live your life by the laws governing a religion, then that religion is a way of life to that person.  Whereas, if you view a religion more as a guide, a moral compass, then it would be more of philosophy. That's because you may not nessecarily live your life as dictated by all the rules of a religion.

3. prasadjain profile image63
    prasadjainposted 12 years ago

Religion is the way of life guided by a philosophy

4. dadibobs profile image59
    dadibobsposted 12 years ago

I think that this is a question which depends on the respondents personal views regarding religion. I believe it's a choice, you could use religion to guide or comfort you, or you could use religion as a template, a set pattern to follow in your everyday life.

It all comes down to your own beliefs.

5. YvetteParker profile image60
    YvetteParkerposted 12 years ago

The bible defines pure religion as such:
    "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." James 1:27

It's a way of life.

6. profile image0
    bri36posted 12 years ago

This is the question of the ages my friend! in my world view it is a way of life because I live the things that I think are important, tolerance-acceptance-understanding-brotherhood-these are the things that mean the most to me and the people around me think the same way.

If you take away anything from your life experiences it should be that human nature is about us and we are the ones that either make it work or fail because we spend to much time worrying about the drama of human life. Thinking what others think is more important than what really is!

so if you add it all up the Philosophy of life is more than religion in this way- We created the gods so that we could understand the things beyond our grasp. Along the way some of us found out that G-d was inside us and we became whole in the eyes of ALL

7. jeyaramd profile image64
    jeyaramdposted 12 years ago

The definition of religion says that, "Each soul is potentially divine. The goal is to manifest this Divinity within by controlling nature, external and internal. Do this either by work, or worship, or psychic control, or philosophy--by one, or more, or all of these--and be free. This is the whole of religion. Doctrines, or dogmas, or rituals or books or temples, or forms, are but secondary details".

Rajan Jolly I wrote a hub on a similar subject - Understanding Religion, God and Goodness. I would love to hear your opinion on this subject. Of course, I am very open minded. I know its a sensitive topic; but my focus on this hub is on the universal meaning of all religions; which is goodness. I don't believe in arguing against or for a particular religion. I also don't believe in ranking religions. However, I do believe that those who take part in religious practices should try to have that attitude of goodness throughout their relationships with mankind. For instance, I do not agree with those who practice religion; but are hurtful to people. That was my point of the hub. Thank you.

I think religion can be both philosophy and a way of life. It depends on your perspective of how you approach religion. For some its a way of life; because they are always about praying and worshiping God. For others it just becomes a part of their being. A part of their morals, values and belief systems. I think its a bit of both. This is a great question.

8. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

Both. A philosophy technically is a way of life. If we believe in something (which normally is a philosophy), then we act upon that believe. Our actions are our lives so we live by what we believe.
    If someone believes in Christianity, their minds morph into the state of that religion. As they minds dissipate into a new stage or by using a different method, they adjust and slowly change. Thus living their beliefs or philosophy's.

9. giocatore profile image88
    giocatoreposted 12 years ago

I think you will find that philosophy is more analytic, stemming from first principles and using logic to build from these. Philosophy first deals with such basics as metaphysics (the nature of existence), epistemology (how one learns), etc. Religion deals more in faith, and seems to stem more from a book or other knowledge handed down from disciples, prophets, etc.

10. NiaLee profile image61
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

it depends on who practices it! Some live by the book, some people are more choosy, some others just do what it takes to be left alone or not become a pariah. It is always relative, reason why I love philosophies: no dogma, just you learning and growing and then practicing things that really go deep into you and free you. You are sincere to yourself and your spiritual references, not just the people which leads people to hypocrisy and split personality sometimes.

11. IJR112 profile image62
    IJR112posted 12 years ago

I would say it's a way of life.  At least it is for all the religious people I know.

12. CloudExplorer profile image78
    CloudExplorerposted 12 years ago

Philosophy and religion have long ancient ties to one another, I firmly believe all religions are both philosophies & a way of life. read more

13. Elbeto94 profile image65
    Elbeto94posted 12 years ago

I believe religion can be what ever you want it to be, you can take it as a way of life and base your dreams on it or you can take it as a philosophy, something that you believe and support.

14. mintinfo profile image62
    mintinfoposted 12 years ago

Religion is philosophy. I do not believe in either.

15. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 12 years ago

I say, both.  Our religion and our philosophy are both the reason that we are who we are and do what we do.  They shape each other and the blend shapes us.

16. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 12 years ago

When religion becomes a way of life for a man with right understanding, the person becomes spiritual and he grows out of religion. On the other hand, if he understands religion lopsidedly, his way of life becomes that of a fanatic.

17. girlgonestrong profile image61
    girlgonestrongposted 12 years ago

For most people, it's neither.  Most people do what comes naturally...that is to seek to fulfill their selfish desires.  You can sugar-coat it however you want, but if you dig deep enough, even giving satisfies some inner, self-serving psychological desire.

So-called "Christians" are the worst about this.  Jesus Christ said a lot about people who give lip-service to him yet are not really his disciples.  Matthew 7 has a very dramatic outline of that where you see people who really "thought" they were Christians getting told that they never really were and being tossed into hell.

For most people, attaching themselves superficially to a faith placates an inner call to recognize and revere the divine without actually sacrificing anything in the form of devotion.  Most of these types have really no understanding of the deep, real teachings of their faith and thus their "religion" is neither philosophy or way or life.

1. C.V.Rajan profile image59
      C.V.Rajanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have analyzed well!

18. Jynzly profile image62
    Jynzlyposted 12 years ago

There are many definitions of "Religion" as there are many religions in the world. In the church where I used to attend they define religion as "re" means "again" and "legion" means "to tie" and they made it into a whole phrase "to tie again"...this statement implies that man's connection to God was cut when Adam and Eve committed sin in the garden of Eden but then since God is Perfect and also equated to Love, He had this Plan of Redemption for man to "tie again" or to reconnect to Him through His Son Jesus Christ.
    Philosophy is purely man-made or certain men's lofty thinking. Philosophy is not "common sense" or ordinary men's way of thinking; Philosophy are lofty thoughts of things not yet happening or that have not existed at the time the Philosophers were "philosophizing"...These men were inspired by their genius and some other Higher Gifts of Intelligence that is coming from "out of the blue" try to research on the book "Four Major Philosophies" to see what I mean.
    So, is religion a philosophy? The answer is no...one is purely faith and the other, an inspiration or a genius of a thinking man;
    A way of life is never a philosophy, it is a byproduct of culture...the lowest form of the three.
    I hate to hear people say that Philosophy is a way of life or a "common sense"...they are reducing its value to mundane.
    They are mixed up with religion and philosophy and call it a way of life because "a way of life" is the easiest to see and understand...try to dig deeper man!

19. IntroduceCroatia profile image57
    IntroduceCroatiaposted 12 years ago

It's more way of life because philosophy is more critical and requires evidence for your doubts.

20. stanwshura profile image70
    stanwshuraposted 11 years ago

Religion is a doctrinal system of beliefs observed - as least as a component part, by ritualistic and group ceremony, and - by the predominant cultural (time, place, position, communal, familal, and social) "norms and values".

21. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

I believe religion is your practice of your philosophy. - ie. we practice what is in the Bible in order to complete our philosophy (our faith).  I think our philosophy is our way of life.  They are one in the same.

22. K J Page profile image62
    K J Pageposted 11 years ago

religion is a man made doctrine intended to create a way of life on a certain belief path

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)