Rabbit meat - do you see it as a acceptable thing to eat, or does it gross you o

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Robie Benve profile image94
    Robie Benveposted 12 years ago

Rabbit meat - do you see it as a acceptable thing to eat, or does it gross you out?

Assuming you eat other meats, would you eat and enjoy rabbit in a dish?

2. Leroyworld profile image59
    Leroyworldposted 12 years ago

Rabbit tastes very good, if cooked right.  It's not too common around Dallas, at least in the national grocery chains.

3. jesimpki profile image92
    jesimpkiposted 12 years ago

I can't say that I've ever tried it, yet my great grandfather often spoke of it.  He lived through the Great Depression so I can't really blame him or my other relatives from that time period for consuming it.

4. BlissfulWriter profile image71
    BlissfulWriterposted 12 years ago

Rabbit meat and hare meat are sold for consumption in Europe, South America, North America, and parts of Middle East.  Rabbits can be seen hanging displayed along with other small game animal meat in the Borough Market in London.   So there are many population in the world that clearly eats rabbit and have no problems eating it.   As a meat, rabbit is leaner than even chicken, and has less cholesterol.  It also has high quality protein. 

There are also cans of rabbit meat sold on Amazon as pet food as well.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I eat it rarely but i do like it. I also love lamb.

6. lucky_9in profile image57
    lucky_9inposted 12 years ago

I dont think rabbits should be eaten, but thats just my opinion.
    ive seen one skinned and they do not look very appertizing.

1. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

do you think a skinned cow or lamb looks very appetizing?

7. EuroNinila profile image69
    EuroNinilaposted 12 years ago

I'm Greek and have been visiting Greece during the summers since I was very little, so I've eaten rabbits plenty of times.  You can't even tell it's rabbit, last summer my aunt made me and my sister dinner and we thought we were eating chicken the whole time!  After we found out it was rabbit, not that we cared, we've eaten rabbit before anyway.  Its common in Greece.

8. Sarah Bolluyt profile image60
    Sarah Bolluytposted 12 years ago

Having had a pet rabbit whom I loved dearly for many years as a child, I personally could never eat rabbit meat.  However, I have no problem with rabbit meat on principle and have no issues with anyone else consuming it.  I suppose that it all depends on what one associates with the animal - to me, rabbits are to be cuddled, not cooked and eaten.  smile

9. profile image53
    agrimoniaposted 12 years ago

i cooking of any kinds of meat,but i love stew meat in sauce..

10. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 12 years ago

All meats are body parts.  If that doesn't gross you out, you're totally desensitized, period.  There's no difference between cats, dogs, horses, cows, pigs, birds, etc.  They all have families, lives, and the same body parts we do.  If you think any one is different somehow, it's a way for you to excuse yourself from what you're doing.

and they all taste so good.   I am not a big fan of horsemeat , it is too sweet for my taste

2. Jack Burton profile image78
      Jack Burtonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And herein lies the difference between many vegetarians and other people. We who eat meat don't give a darn what the veggies do or don't do but they get awful excited about what we do or don't do.

11. donnaisabella profile image72
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

After having kept a pet bunny, I would have thoughts about eating it. When I was a kid my family slaughtered a rabbit from the wild and cooked it. I could not eat it because I felt so sorry for it when it was brought to the house alive...I still remember that!

12. Insane Mundane profile image59
    Insane Mundaneposted 12 years ago

I haven't ate rabbit in years, since I haven't went hunting in a long while, but they were pretty tasty to me.  I always baked 'em while covering the rabbit with barbecue sauce, but I'm sure they would still be good if prepared differently.  What turns most people off, is the cleaning process, If I was guessing.  Not many people like cutting heads off or having a handful of guts while field dressing those suckers, but it's nothing compared to bigger game.  Anyway, I may start hunting again, in the future, because at least you'll know that the wild game you kill is organic, as opposed to all this chemical-laced, hormone-filled meat that you commonly find at the supermarkets...

13. profile image0
    Darkmetalyposted 12 years ago

I think its acceptable. i see nothing wrong with eating a rabbit rather then a pig or a lamb.

14. GoodLady profile image92
    GoodLadyposted 12 years ago

It is what we eat in Tuscany, a lot!  I think you eat what you are used to eating, what is grown near you.  In Tuscany we keep rabbits and chickens for eating as well as pigs and we have olive trees and vines and nut trees and we grow a lot of wonderful vegetables and there are rice paddies and fish in the sea.  We have a little of it all during the week including, yes, rabbit.
    If you are vegetarian, well, that is different.  It is a preference.

15. debbie roberts profile image72
    debbie robertsposted 12 years ago

I am a meat eater, I enjoy eating meat as long as the animal has had a quality life before being butchered.....Whilst I have no problem with other people eating rabbit meat, I myself couldn't. I've always loved rabbits and we've had a couple of brilliant rabbits that were proper pets, they were house trained and had run of the garden and I really can't see them as meat.

16. ladeda profile image61
    ladedaposted 12 years ago

I agree with Sarah. I don't mind what others do, and I'm not a vegetarian, but as an owner of an adorable and loving rabbit, I can't imagine eating rabbit meat. No way.

17. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

Both. There is no logical reason why it is any less acceptable than other meat, but the thought of it does kind of gross me out. Sushi sounded gross to me at first, but I love it now. If I saw rabbit on a menu, I would probably try it.

18. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Rabbit is a very tasty and low fat meat which requires long, slow cooking. This page contains instructions for preparing rabbits for cooking, as well as different cooking methods and recipes. read more

19. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
    crazyhorsesghostposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6170181_f260.jpg

In the photo is chicken fried rabbit. It is double breaded by dipping each piece into beaten milk and egg and then into a breading of all purpose plain flour, salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne. It is always breaded twice to insure the breading stays on. You fry it in 350 degree oil until the pieces are golden brown and reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees in the thicker pieces.

I also like to fry the rabbit as above and smother it with white gravy. I then serve it over white buttered rice. It is so delicious. If your going to fry a rabbit like this you want a young rabbit because when they are older you need to boil them or they will be tough.

I like to serve English Green Peas with my rabbit because the flavors really go good together.

I was raised eating rabbit and it is delicious. You can now find them being sold in larger supermarkets.

20. profile image49
    pcpitstopposted 11 years ago

if you want to  eat a realy good rabbit you have to come in malta , we know how to cook it in a traditional way.  rabbit fried with garlic or spagetti with rabbit sauce, and what about bbq rabbit marinated in red wine

delicious   what time is dinner?

21. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

It is absolutely delicious, one of my favorites.  I prefer it fried.    and so much better than the cat  you get in some chinese restaurants.

22. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

No.  First, I am a vegetarian, for many reasons.  But I see a rabbit as a pet; I'd no more eat rabbit than I would eat a cat or dog.  And I don't eat other animals for the same reason; I see them as kindred spirits.  One of my favorite quotes comes from George Bernard Shaw, who said: "Animals are my friends, and I don't eat my friends."

I explain my reasons if anyone asks, and I've written a couple of Hubs about the benefits, but I'm not going to get into an argument with those who choose to eat meat: it's pointless.

23. Jack Burton profile image78
    Jack Burtonposted 10 years ago

A rabbit buck and three does create about 250 llbs of dressed meat each year for about a dollar a pound or even less. The meat is much healthier than even chicken. The best thing about it is you know every single thing the rabbits eat and drink, and you can control their diet as you please.

It takes about 15 minutes a day to take care of them, and the initial set up can run about $150 for the cages and material.

The worst thing about it is that you do have to kill and dress the rabbits. Some folk that i know who raise rabbits for meat have problems with that part. You can overcome it by having a friend do it for you and let him/her keep one out of every three rabbits for their own meals.

There are hundreds of thousands of rabbits raised for meat here in the states each year. It's economical, healthy, and teaches a reverence for nature. I would encourage anyone who is thinking about it to give it a go.

Thousands of recipes exist and cooking them is little different from a chicken.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)