What do you do when you have writer's block?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)
  1. rlaha profile image60
    rlahaposted 12 years ago

What do you do when you have writer's block?

I'm kind of at a standstill on my writing and would like to know what you do when you have writer's block?

2. Tricia Ward profile image81
    Tricia Wardposted 12 years ago

Try some of these exercises and see if it helps

http://triciaward.hubpages.com/hub/Crea … ts-flowing

3. Neil Sperling profile image59
    Neil Sperlingposted 12 years ago

Great Question

I take a break from even trying... I do the same with guitar playing... when I seem to be stuck in a rut and not progressing, I take a break from playing and listen more to more music trying to pick out the base line or tune into more of the drummers beats noting use of all drums (I play rhythm guitar and some lead runs) --- for writing I read a couple books and surf the web for topics I am not familiar with but are connected to my interests.

Doing that - brings me back to writing or playing with a new found enthusiasm.

Life goes on!

4. Moms-Secret profile image76
    Moms-Secretposted 12 years ago

I walk away.  I let life give me something to write about.  You can always come back when you see something that sparks the flame of inspiration.

5. ar.colton profile image79
    ar.coltonposted 12 years ago

I recently wrote a hub that has 10 very unique prompts for breaking through the block. I assure you you'll be writing so much your hand will cramp.

http://arcolton.hubpages.com/hub/10-Wri … ters-Block

6. remaniki profile image79
    remanikiposted 12 years ago

When I feel stuck at some point while writing, I simply move away from my desk for at least ten to fifteen minutes. I take a few deep breaths, come back to my desk and play a word game or two. This, in my experience, has helped me get back to the abandoned work with more vigor.

7. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

I plot. Brainstorm, debate, pick-a-part, and write down whatever I can think of for a possible inspiration.

8. anglnwu profile image70
    anglnwuposted 12 years ago

We all have it to varying degrees. I actually wrote a hub about it and the comments after the hub help too:

http://anglnwu.hubpages.com/hub/Writers … nother-Day

Hope that helps:)

9. jenniferrpovey profile image76
    jenniferrpoveyposted 12 years ago

Some simple ideas for how to cure and deal with writer's block. It happens to all of us sometimes. read more

10. Trevor Davis profile image58
    Trevor Davisposted 12 years ago

Well give your brain some time to rest. Relax and play a videogame. Watch a movie or whatnot or even take a nap. It helps.

11. That Grrl profile image72
    That Grrlposted 12 years ago

Take a break. Have a shower, go for a drive, take the bus somewhere, anything I can do without really thinking about. I get all kinds of ideas when I'm not trying and in the middle of doing something like cooking dinner, cutting apples, etc.

12. profile image0
    iamaudraleighposted 12 years ago

It is hard not to get depressed when I have writer's block.  The best thing to do is walk away from the computer!!!

13. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 12 years ago

Relax by going to the movies is on way to deal with writer's block. I also find that reading a good book may also help.

Best wishes.

14. nlclark profile image61
    nlclarkposted 12 years ago

I usually go through the questions until I find something compelling to write about or I pull out my journals and read them.  If I wrote about something in a journal, usually I'll want to write about it again, or it gives me a new idea.  Good luck.

15. lawdoctorlee profile image82
    lawdoctorleeposted 12 years ago

I read....newspapers, books, hubs, questions on HubPages, whatever I can get my hands on.  Most times that's enough to get my creative juices flowing.

16. BeccaWood profile image71
    BeccaWoodposted 12 years ago

The only time I ever write for hours and write, write, write, and not even notice is when I surround myself with nature and put my inspirational music on my mp3 player. Anywhere from wheat fields, to trees, ponds, forests, and mountains. I've even sat in a tree and wrote. Nature just makes it easier to let your mind go. But now I live in a town that looks like a city and I haven't had inspiration since.

17. RMfreelancewriter profile image60
    RMfreelancewriterposted 12 years ago

I have written a number of posts about so-called writers block.

I believe it comes from one's mindset.

18. profile image57
    eljones2posted 10 years ago

Sometimes it just takes time to get all other daily business and affairs out of the way to get back into the mood to write.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)