Have you or a friend ever found an animal and taken it home to keep as a pet? Di

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Charlu profile image76
    Charluposted 12 years ago

Have you or a friend ever found an animal and taken it home to keep as a pet? Did it work out?

If it was you how did the pet work out with you and your family or did you have to take it to a shelter?

2. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Yes. Yes. I went to the animal shelter. Does that count? My wife wanted another kitten to keep the one a friend had given her company. It was slim pickings. There was only one old big, gnarly yellow tomcat. He looked like Thomasina's ugly cousin.

He put on quite a show to get out. I figure he had a bad experience with catnip that landed him in the hoosegow. He wouldn't go near the stuff. The younger cats went nuts for it. He would sniff once, shake his head, and walk away.

3. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 12 years ago

Yes, my sister found a tiny feral kitten trapped in a wood pile and she rescued it as wild as it was.  He went on to be the best pet she ever had and when he passed last year she was absolutely devastated. 

I had a cat as a teenager that followed me home all the way across town and it refused to leave so he became my cat smile.  He was a great pet too and I guess it was meant to be as we tried to find his rightful owners and they never turned up.

4. stephhicks68 profile image88
    stephhicks68posted 12 years ago

My mom "adopted" a kitten that was born outside of her dentist's office many years ago.  The mom kitty (also a stray) nursed the kittens until they were about 6 weeks old, and then a few of the dentists' clients started taking the babies home.

Gus was an orange and white striped cat and was one of the best pets my parents ever had.  When he died a few years ago, everyone in our family was devastated!

5. teyeger82 profile image63
    teyeger82posted 12 years ago

When I was a child, my neighbor worked on a large farm.  Every year when they would use a combine in the fields they would send people ahead of the combines on foot to check for deer.  One year he brought three fawns home.  We named them Gertrude, Agnes, and JD.  He built a large pen for them.  Gertrude was much smaller than the other two and ultimately she did not make it.  However, Agnes and JD did quite well and when they were big enough and strong enough to jump the fence off they went.  Even though we weren't able to keep them as pets, it worked out for the best for Agnes and JD because if they had not been brought to my neighbor's they would have not had a happy ending with the combine.

6. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

Yes, I found a clam in Lake Erie and took it home for a pet. I kept it in a bucket of water for a long time until one day, much to my sister's distress I decided to dissect my clam to see what was inside. I couldn't do that today - I was a budding scientist back then.

7. catgypsy profile image72
    catgypsyposted 12 years ago

I currently have 25 cats that are all strays or ferals and have had many more in the past, mostly strays I've found. YES, it worked out great. Sometimes you have to have some patience with them, because they have been abandoned, or in the case of feral cats never had a home to begin with, but they need love and attention. They will form a very close bond with you. So please, everyone, rescue the next poor little stray you find.

8. Nature by Dawn profile image70
    Nature by Dawnposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6424189_f260.jpg

Yes! Just this January, in fact. As you may know from a couple of my hubs, I lost one of my dogs in early November 2011. I had Sephi for 10 years and losing her was heartbreaking. I still had my dog Maya, who I also love very much, but my home felt empty without two dogs. So after the holidays, my husband and I started visiting animal shelters and rescue groups for a new family member. What happened instead can only be providence.

A FB friend told me about this stray who had been living in a park for nearly a month. I visited the park every day for three days before he was finally caught (he was super-sweet but very leash shy). I named him Pierson after the park. Pierson is about one year old and is probably an Australian Shepherd / Border Collie mix. I have had a few issues with him but most cleared up once he got comfortable in his new home.

Pierson, aka Mr. Fluffybutt, is a fantastic dog and I couldn't have been luckier. He is very smart, never once pottied in the house, quickly learned all the basic commands, and now walks better on a leash than Maya. He is very sweet. And although he is full grown, he is very much a puppy and so fun to play with.

9. Illumind profile image60
    Illumindposted 12 years ago

As a kid at around age 10 I found a dog on the side of the road, sick and/or exhausted.  I brought him home and nursed him back to health.  Then my cat scratched me and ran away.  I can't remember what happened to the dog, so I presume he wasn't with us too long... :-/

10. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 12 years ago

Yes. My wife and I picked up two kittens from the wild 9 years ago, before they were taken to be euthanized. It took a lot of patience - they are both shy - but they are a wonderful part of our lives. I also rescued a cat who came to my house, got her healthy, and gave her to a friend.

11. Peggy W profile image94
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Both, as an answer to your question.   At one point in our lives and where we were living, many pets seemed to be dumped and abandoned.  We found the real owners in just a couple of instances and in others after posting signs, taking the animal to all of the local veterinarians offices, and calling all of the Houston shelters...we would find homes for some of them or take them to shelters.

Several of our pets have come from the streets inclluding our dogs Reggie and Trudy and our cats, Dusty and Peaches.

I know you have a soft heart when it comes to animals and so do we.

12. sholland10 profile image84
    sholland10posted 12 years ago

Yes, I live in the country, so we bring them home and they invite their friends. :-)  One big happy home.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)