What would you do if you found a lost kitten?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7427204_f248.jpg

Have you ever found a lost animal? What did you do?

Hubby and found this soaking wet lost kitten while on our walk today.
    We thought he might have been hurt -- just cowering in a puddle in the middle of a parking lot next to a busy street.
    He had a collar with a bell. But no ID tag. Seemed awfully young to be out in the torrential storms we've been having here.
    Gave him some food -- he was ravenous.
    Wrapped him in a towel and dried him off.
    Took him to 3 different vets to see if
    a) he was microchipped (not) and
    b) someone had filed a missing cat report (nope).

I also  posted a "found kitten" ad on Craigslist.

Finally brought him to the city animal shelter. The owners now have 3 days to claim him.
    Then we have first right of adoption before they advertise him to the public.
    I guess if we are meant to have this little guy, that's how it will work out.
    We have four already. What's one more?
    smile

However, if anyone out there in hubberland is in the market for a very, very friendly boy, we're more than willing to oblige...

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you don't live near me - should you show up in my doorstep with that little face peeking over your arm I could never resist.

Needless to say, we've been adopted by a stray kitten before...

2. jodeci profile image60
      jodeciposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My son found a lost kitten. I gave (him) some water and wrapped him in a blanket then asked a friend to drive me to the local SPCA because I already had two cats and could not afford to have a third. My son was disappointed but I told him to get over it.

3. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know if he came to our door we would have kept him that's the way it always goes around here. We see a cat around our house and have tried to catch him but with no luck. We hated to see him outside in the cold. He never eats the food we put out. He could be from across the field and belong to someone, just likes to wonder around.

4. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would do the way you did, Mighty Mom. I´m not fan of a cat and I would try looking the owner of the stray kitten.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

Bless you for caring so much. This little boy found you, and if his owners don't turn up then it happened for a reason. We don't always adopt our pets, they frequently adopt us instead smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

There is an orange cat that has definitely adopted my front porch. There seem to be a lot of outdoor cats wandering around where I live. As a result, I've witnessed some truly interesting life scenes...

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A white cat with a black tale has now joined the party.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

It sounds like you did everything right including giving the previous owner every chance to reclaim their pet if it was lost by accident.

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Kudos to you for helping a homeless pet!

6. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

One snowy winter evening I came across a frozen hedgehog in our alleyway. I got my 7 year old son to place it gently in a cardboard box and took it to a neighbour who is real good with wildlife. I asked her if it was possible to revive it. She took one look and said "Sean that is an ornamental garden hedgehog."
    The concrete hedgehog is currently residing in my back garden.

1. justmesuzanne profile image87
      justmesuzanneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I always bring them home. When you find an animal like that, you are intended to keep it! smile

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Too funny!  At least you kept your "pet"! smile

7. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

You keep it, of course!  Here are the latest additions to our farm family:  Frodo, Sam, and Pippin.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7428726_f1024.jpg

Adopted pets are often the best pets.

1. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How cute.

2. brimancandy profile image79
      brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This reminds me of the demise of our Christmas tree. We could not keep the cats out of it, and one morning we woke up to find it laying on it's side, with ornaments broken, and a broken antique Christmas star. With two rotten cats looking around as if they were whistling, and pretending like they had nothing to do with it. No to mention cat scratched gifts, and destroyed bows.

So after that. no more tree, or bows on presents.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, our tree has no ornaments.  We figure why bother.  :-)

8. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

Please dont put him in a shelter I beg you.  I am positive that if you ask around your friends someone will take him home with you.  Shelters are so over crowded that they always kill the kittens.  Put the Lost ad in the local paper, they do it for free.  Please.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If the cat is not in or listed at the local shelter for the owner to reclaim you may end up losing the pet when the previous owner locates it.  Finders is not keepers with animals.  You must make a reasonable effort to find the owner. 

OP also clearly said they intend to reclaim the kitten if the owner does not appear.

9. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

I found a kitten one winter who was pretty close to death (actually looked a lot like your little guy) and she had no collar, tag or anything, but she was as sweet as could be. We put out advertisements everywhere we could-- local Petco, Petsmart, vets, online, etc. No one claimed her, and the shelter said they could keep her a minimum of a week, but then they would put her down or we could take her back.

They also said that kitty diseases run rampant in shelters, so if we were going to take her after a week, we would have to treat her for lung infections, etc. My mom just decided to keep her and now she's a spoiled, but much-loved addition to our family.

10. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
    tlmcgaa70posted 11 years ago

i cant begin to count how many friends i rescued over the years. i remember when i was younger and staying with my uncle, i saw a little dog, maybe a pup, running down the street and i prepared to go get it. he asked me what i was going to do with it, i told him i planned on taking care of it til i could find it a good home. he asked me how do i know the pup didnt belong to someone and was just lost, maybe there was some kid out there crying his eyes out because his pup was missing. so i didnt go get it. today, being much older and living with my parents who also love animals, i have an answer to that. i DO know accidents happen and animals escape...but 90 percent of the time an animal is running around because it was not being looked after properly. if i see a animal running around and no human, i will rescue it. i keep it til i know its healthy, then i find it a good home. only once in all my years of rescuing did anyone come searching for their lost animal. we lived out in the country, farmland, and one morning i heard a pup baying/howling. i traced the sound out into the frozen swamp area where i found an adorable beagle...he had probably chased a bunny into the swamp area and then could not find his way out, so i took him home. we had him most of one day before someone came looking for him. oh yes, and there was Bobby. i found Bobby, a very young manx kitten, hiding under the tire of a pepsi diesel in the store parking lot. i picked him up and took him with me in the store and asked if anyone knew who he belonged to. no one knew so mom and i decided to keep him. we bought cat litter and kitten food and some water, (we planned to be out most of the day). just as we finished paying for all the stuff a drunk man came in. he said thats my kitten. i said then how did it get here (the man lived across the street behind the post office. he said i dont know must have followed someone. Betty, the cashier told him, well they just bought a bunch of stuff for the kitten, you better let them have it, so he shrugged and let us keep him. sadly i had him but a few days when i had to take him to the vet and learned about spina bifida, and i had to have him put down. that was a hard thing to do as i had already fallen head over heels for the little guy. so anyways, my belief is if the animal is well cared for it wont end up lost. out here to many pweople believe in allowing their pets to run and roam and fend for themselves, so when i find an animal and no human i take it. and i care for it and i find it a home where it will be well cared for. i never even consider if the animal belongs to someone. heck, one winter i went out to feed the horses only to find a very young filly in the pasture. how it got there i can only guess, we think she simply walked on the snow over the fence. needless to say she was a walking skeleton. so i kept her. since the pasture is very visible from the road i figured if her owner saw her they would come for her. i had her a year before a man showed up claiming her. he said he had separated from his wife and had been in rapid city trying to get his horses and belongings and he came looking for them to find everyting gone. a friend told him the filly was at my place. that was sad as i loved the filly and had put moch time money and effort in her care and training. but i could not keep her when she bleonged to someone else. so in answetr (i know a long one im sorry) to your question...keep them. if someone comes askinig then you might still get to keep it but you might now. we have a dog we took in over a year ago. a pit bull. here they can be shot on sight by anyone, no questions asked, and he is so super human friendly and dog friendly. he simply loves everyone. not a good watch dog at all. so we keep him tied on a 50 ft run out of sight of the road for his own safety. one day a couple of months ago a man came by...he lives a couple of miles away. he said i think thats my dog. and the dog did seem to recognize him. but i told him...i hope you dont mind us keeping him, my dad is awefully attached. he said no, you can keep him, he has been gone to long from us now. so we got to keep him. so it never hurts to ask. anyway i about wrote a book so i better stop here. sad

11. Claudia Adães profile image60
    Claudia Adãesposted 11 years ago

It happened to me once. I kept her. She was Joaninha, a black, wise and the most friendly beeing our family met. She was a protector.

12. Mighty Mom profile image76

Such heartwarming (and comical) pet stories. And photos!
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

We did take him to the shelter because we thought that would be the most likely place the owner would look (I would check there if I lost a pet -- although mine are all indoor only).
    And also because we didn't want to bring him into our house in case he does have a disease -- not worth getting our four cats sick.
    And with the torrential rains of the past few days -- including high winds last night -- we didn't want to keep him outside, even in a cat carrier in the garage. That would be too torturous for me.
    I'd probably end up bringing a sleeping bag out and curling up next to him!

The shelter said they will check him out for diseases. And promised they will NOT euthanize him!

Meanwhile,I have noticed that my husband is already querying our cats on how they would feel about getting a new little brother.
    I think it's quite likely we will adopt him as a Christmas present to each other!
    Stay tuned!
    MM

13. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

MM, when my kids were little I felt like the pied piper, I always had them and their friends. As they became more independent, I found all these animals *That just needed to be taken care of* I became a bit like Noah. I'd probably take the little fella, you found each other, he needs a home and you clearly like him. There's always room *or a little 'un* smile

14. Mighty Mom profile image76

He's officially listed on the shelter's website.
    With a whole bunch of other lost/found kitties.
    I couldn't resist today and drove over to see if I could go see him. I mean, they include the kennel number and everything.
    But they would not let me!
    Didn't occur to me not to tell the truth, that we were the ones who brought him in, not his real owners there to pick him up.
    Oh well.
    I feel like we've done our part.
    Three business days and his owners will figure it out -- see him listed on Craigslist or on the shelter website. And claim him -- and hopefully take better care of him.

Or else he will come home to live at our house.
    And get a better name than Little Timmy (my husband's nod to Tiny Tim in A Christmas Carol).
    smile

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
      tlmcgaa70posted 11 years agoin reply to this

im sure you probably already know this...but if you get any responses from craigslist, make them describe the kitten or some special mark on the kitten or something to prove they are the real owners...to many people on craigslist are unsavory and mean to collect such kittens and puppies only to harm them.

15. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 11 years ago

Once we found a "found" kitten! The neighbors took turns to "look after" him. Eventually he adopted us. The kids down the lane used to take him away occasionally to "spend the day" with their cats. He always used to look forward to such outings. Such a social dude he was!   smile smile smile

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like that solution. Everyone gets to share in the kitty's affections!
      smile

16. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I can't begin to count how many critters we've rescued. They've included homeless pets and injured or orphaned wild animals. My daughters were always finding strays - not that I needed any help! One day, Shannon, my middle daughter (the biggest animal lover of the bunch), came home with a big, shaggy, skinny dog. She was leading it with a rope. She told me it followed her home. I asked why it had a rope around its neck, and Shan said the rope helped it follow her. lol

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great answer!!
      I think Shannon is a kindred animal loving spirit!

17. cloverleaffarm profile image69
    cloverleaffarmposted 11 years ago

All of our 6 cats have been adopted. Most came from "Free Kitten" signs, except for Hattie. Hattie showed up here at the farm, and adopted us. I asked around to see if anyone had known of a lost cat, and no one came forward. We took her to the vets, and she is now our "indoor" kitty. I think living on the street has scared her. I would NEVER take an animal to a shelter, as they are only in it for the money.

i cant see how any shelter would " be in it for the money" since every shelter i know of is always struggling to keep enough money to care for the animals they take in. when ppl are charged a fee to adopt, that money goes back into the shelter, animal food, vet care, and wages for those who arent volunteering.

18. Repairguy47 profile image59
    Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

I'm going to love him and squeeze him and call him George.

19. Mighty Mom profile image76

I was careful in the Craigslist post to leave out key information that would for sure identify this kitten.
    The collar it was wearing -- the only way we knew he was not a feral stray.
    But so far not a single inquiry from Craigslist.

The reason we took him to the shelter is that by the time we found him our vet was closed (Saturday). Otherwise we would have gotten him physically checked out ourselves.
    We would not have simply brought an unknown feline into our house where we have 4 healthy indoor-only cats. Putting their health at risk would not be fair.
    IDK. This seems to me like the mature, sensible (as opposed to completely emotion-driven) solution.
    We are giving his owners a reasonable opportunity to get him back.
    We are getting him checked out medically to make sure he's ok.
    We will end up paying an adoption fee to the shelter for him, but it's worth it to make sure he's not sick.

BTW, two of our four cats are from the same shelter.
    Our other two are also rescue cats. Jimmy's story is chronicled in my "How a Rescue Cat Rescued My Marriage" hub.
    Tina, our 1-year-old, was hanging around a friend's condo and she couldn't take her but wanted her to have a good home. Of course I had her medically checked out before bringing her into our home as a 2011 Christmas gift for Hubby).
    smile

personally i think you did the right thing. when i was young i found a kitten, and it looked sick, so i took it home to help it get better. at the time we had to beautiful siamese kittens. the sick kitten didnt die...but the two siamese kittens both died horrible painful deaths ...they died at almost the same time. we took that kitten to a shelter. we learned a very valuable lesson about bringing in strange animals when you have healthy animals already present.

2. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are smart to protect your other cats before bringing home a new one.  Your cats have a good Mom.  smile

20. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

I recently took in an abandoned cat. Her name is Ki Ki. (we just call her kitty.)

An employee of the campground had this cat, and was let go, and when he left he abandoned the cat. Another person took her in, and also abandoned her. So, yet another person took her in, and was in wait to take her to the humane society, who would most likely end up putting her down due to having an over loaded shelter. And, not enough people willing to adopt.

The truth of the matter is, that these so-called animal shelters are asking for too much money for people to adopt, and have too many required fees on top of adoption, that not many people can afford to adopt from a shelter. If they were serious about wanting these animals to have a home, they would reduce the amount of money they are asking for to get more people to adopt a pet.

We love her. She is very affectionate, and moves faster than lightning. She has developed a love affair with one of my mom's slippers. I'm so glad I gave her a home.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7433173_f248.jpg

21. Ann1Az2 profile image76
    Ann1Az2posted 11 years ago

I've got 4 cats, but I agree if this one showed up at my door, I'd have to take him in - who could resist those eyes?  I've rescued many cats in my life - two of the four I have wondered up from under my house one day with no mother in sight nor did she ever show up. I guess they think I'm they're mother now!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)