What kind of speech could cause the Secret Service to show up, question and perh

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

What kind of speech could cause the Secret Service to show up, question and perhaps arrest someone?

The recent Ted Nugent debacle has caused a national stir. Many Americans are expressing themselves in wild and crazy ways. An awful lot of them do not realize that some statements can get them arrested.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Are you kidding? If I gave you an example, You will never hear from me again! Are you working for them, Too?

1. heavenbound5511 profile image65
      heavenbound5511posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're funny smile, but right!
      The law now says in the USA we can be detained for no reason at all- so watch out for the abuse of this new laws passing to be used against all that will oppose the Government..Secret service will comply too as it is goven

3. Jim Bryan profile image66
    Jim Bryanposted 12 years ago

Use of force doctrine includes the threat of force. Threating to commit violence is not protected speech. If I threatened to hurt someone, I might go to jail. The Motor City Malingerer is being investigated for making threatening statements against the President, et al. Rightfully so. Disagreeing with someone is one thing, threatening or attempting to incite violence is another. Calling on people to impeach the President is protected speech, calling on people to cut his head off probably doesn't fit within those confines. If the statements he made are found to be hyperbolic, then they will close the investigation without further ado, however, if they find his statements credible, they have a duty to take actions including requesting psychological testing, a review of his firearms collectors license to the BATF, or even arrest. Making "statements" won't get you arrested, making threats might. Read my HUB "What's so terrible about Ted Nugent?" for more details. This isn't the first time the aging rocker has made threats of this nature.

1. profile image0
      Gusserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Secret Service found nothing threatening in "the aging rockers" statements after interviewing him today. Some you win and some you lose eh?

4. Joelipoo profile image76
    Joelipooposted 12 years ago

If you find yourself a Columbian prostitute, they would probably come.

1. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently Todd Palin knew how to keep the secret service happy. Lovemychris has a post about that mess.

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 12 years ago

I can not give you specifics. I know they take their job very seriously. Many years ago, when I was a young reporter, I was attending a press conference of former President Gerald Ford, about two years after Jimmy Carter beat him for the presidency.

After the press conference there was a reception for the ex-president and all the media was assembled on the stage of the auditorium. I tapped an agent on the should and asked why. He just looked at me and turned around. A few minutes later we were allowed off stage. The organizers did not want the media crowding the former President and asking more questions when he was there for the purpose of political fund raising.

Freedom of speech is a basic right for us. However, showing a little restraint at times can be beneficial.

6. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

It is a lie that the Black Panthers attached DOA to their bounty. They put out a bounty for a citizen's arrest.

For the rest of you, great discussion! I have been caught up on a few things and hope that others will be, too. We can't just mouth off and threaten people.

I am most concerned about the free range mentally ill who have gotten their hands on guns and worse weapons. They are the ones who will act.

1. profile image0
      Gusserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They were hanging DOA posters. Try google. The Rev Jesse Jackson even denounced them for it. Read Meadite.

2. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, and the racists haven't been a million times busier? The DOA did not come from the panthers.

7. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 12 years ago

The Secret Service has two main obligations:  Protect the president and oversee counterfeiting the currency.  Perhaps anything that deals with these two can get your attention.  I'm not sure but saying you want or will assassinate the president can get you in jail even if you don't mean it.

8. ChangeAmericaNow profile image55
    ChangeAmericaNowposted 12 years ago

You have to directly threaten the presidents life. Violent speech can get you questioned but you are not getting arrested unless there is a credible threat towards the president.

9. daborn7 profile image72
    daborn7posted 12 years ago

My father actually had the secret service show up to his house because of a statement he made to a coworker on the job. He is a hunter and used to be in the military, so he loves guns and shooting and whatnot.

So these guys were messing around and making jokes about who had the best aim with their gun, and somehow the presidents name got brought up at one point in the conversation.

The next thing you know, these guys showed up on my dads doorstep and he had to go through a ton of questioning at his home and downtown. They even hooked him up to a lie detector. He was never arrested, but they sure did give him hell!

So, yeah, anything that threatens the president in any shape or form, or a number of words in the same sentence will catch their attention and get someone in some pretty deep trouble.

10. Lateral3 profile image62
    Lateral3posted 12 years ago

This is a good question, and not untimely given some recent cases.  I think the intelligence services can distinguish between hot air and genuine intent or incitement. In other places I have called for the public execution of the entire political establishment in the UK and they haven't sent the boys round yet; hang on, I think there's someone at the door.

11. royalblkrose profile image61
    royalblkroseposted 12 years ago

usually speech that could be interpreted as threatening the president, overthrowing the government, or terroristic in nature.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)