What would you do if this happened to you and/or your child?

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Terri Meredith profile image67
    Terri Meredithposted 12 years ago

What would you do if this happened to you and/or your child?

A 13 year old boy was pulled out of class and questioned without his mother's knowledge or presence, by the Secret Service in connection with a FB posting where he warned the president he should be careful now that Bin Laden is dead since there may be more suicide bombers ready to attack.  The Secret Service claim that the boy is considered a threat to the President because of those statements.

2. Terri Meredith profile image67
    Terri Meredithposted 12 years ago

I was really upset by this event.  I believe I would have had to involve an attorney and possibly the ACLU.  That child certainly didn't write anything threatening.  It was more of a plea for the President to be careful of his safety.  It just goes to show how the government is monitoring all forms of speech patterns.  I guess it's now illegal to say the words suicide bombers and president in the same sentence, paragraph, or maybe even an entire written piece.  What a bunch of losers our taxpayer money is being used to support.

3. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

what should bother people the most is how "the land of the free" is no longer a reality.

4. profile image0
    Suramya.Kposted 12 years ago

I guess the Secret Team did not get any real proof, thus blamed the innocent boy. On the other hand, he's just 13, how can he know this thing is right or wrong.. As far as I see here, the boy was just praying/warning (not the negative sense) the president to take extra care of the country. If you see some question-answers sites, you'll see thousands of these words stated at the same time, and some words are even worse. May be the Secret Team should try to catch them instead!!

5. someonewhoknows profile image74
    someonewhoknowsposted 12 years ago

After some reflection it seems to me that they probably thought the boy may have had some information he wasn't telling.Perhaps because of a personal involvement .maybe someone he knew but was afraid to say exactly what would be a possible threat to the president is the only reasonably possible explanatiion.At,least that's how I see it.

6. lazko profile image57
    lazkoposted 12 years ago

Nothing. What would anyone do against the government? Thats so wrong as an act but who knows maybe the services have their reason. Its not about the boys age, connections might be still a fact or the child might be heard something somewhere. I think the boy will be released and will not be pursuit. Its sad anyway. But thats the world we`re all living in.

7. mingsjourney profile image59
    mingsjourneyposted 12 years ago

I am sorry to hear this.  The secret service and many police officers think they are above the law.

I think it wise to know  a good attorney.  Most people don't know they have the right not to speak to the police if they don't want to.

They can turn your words against you and accuse of a crime that you did not commit.

8. 1kmjs profile image63
    1kmjsposted 12 years ago

Depends on the overall feel of his message, i was also worried about possible backlash as well. Kids today, especially at that age write down thier feelings on FB faster than they can actually think about possible ramifications. I truely dont think the secret service should have made it such a priority. I mean dont they have better things to do.
    I would, if it were my child. Have a discussion about cause and effect. I wouldnt go any further, it sounds a bit ludacris.

9. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'd understand it.  If people post certain words/phrases on the Internet (especially if they're in connection with the president), they're likely to catch the attention of FBI people "scouting out" (however they do it) certain words/phrases.

10. NorthEast Timber profile image59
    NorthEast Timberposted 12 years ago

Pull my child from that school.  Contact every newspaper.  Write to every congressman, including the CIC and Michelle.  Contact the superintendent of that school.  The boy is a minor.  To accost a child without parental consent is so far out of line,  its not even funny.  Just think people they're flagging everyone, no one is exempt.  It woulwould be very interesting to find out if the parents are politically involved in the Tea Party or anything.  Worst part is, is if it makes even one person quit expressing their views because they fear their government......well then folks, we have entered a new era, and it would not be good, not good at all.

11. jessicab profile image60
    jessicabposted 12 years ago

I would be so startled, and it's seem like we all are on the watch in the eyes of the government.

12. Callan S. profile image57
    Callan S.posted 12 years ago

It depends on whether it actually happened or not.

If so, they have already done this - you can't turn back time. Your position is a question of whether you want to stop them from being supported by the legal system in doing it again.

13. LisaMarie724 profile image67
    LisaMarie724posted 12 years ago

This is just insanely stupid for lack of a better phrase. I just can't believe how insane things are becoming in this country.  He is a child and his rights were violated for no good reason. Are we seriously expected as citizens ( who are honestly in charge of this country as much as they think they are) to sit down and let this happen? I mean if there is a reasonable threat by all means do what needs to be done but perhaps they should hire someone who has some common sense to mix things up a bit, huh?

14. Thatguypk profile image44
    Thatguypkposted 12 years ago

There's not enough information given in your question to make a rational judgement about this.... for example, the 13 year old child might have the name  Ali Bin Laden... or maybe he was giving tips, in a previous message, on how to make home-made explosives....

I could tell you that I've been importing arms into Ireland from America..... but it wouldn't make me guilty of gun-running if I explained that I was a sales rep for a prosthetic limb company.

More detail.... less ambiguity!!

15. profile image50
    winnylovesJesusposted 12 years ago

sometimes people who works in military or spy or something like that, always act hyper reactive. If i were that boy, i'll answer "Is it means that i care for my president living,isn't it? Is it wrong if I care to my own president,sir?"

16. kcreery profile image60
    kcreeryposted 12 years ago

I would make sure that my son understood that making comments like that might pique the interest of the Secret Service.  Although the comments may be not considered a threat the Secret Service may want to question my son.  I would want to be present though.

17. lovelife08 profile image61
    lovelife08posted 12 years ago

I am appalled by the paranoia this country has developed.  He is only thirteen.  He would not have the resources to carry out an attack.  I understand we as a country should be afraid now more than ever, and believe me, I am terrified, but to question a young boy over a Facebook post that was probably meant as a joke?  And to do it without his mother present?  That is preposterous, and plain silly.

18. cooldad profile image62
    cooldadposted 12 years ago

A minor should never be questioned alone, never in any instance.  I can only imagine how terrified a child would be in that situation.  I didn't hear about this story, but the FBI really is monitoring FB and pulling kids out of classrooms??  How about arresting the crack dealers and rapists on the street corners?  That should be easier and use less tax payer money.

19. ameliejan profile image76
    ameliejanposted 12 years ago

I agree the paranoia is scary, and so is the lack of freedom we have. This is on a global scale and something needs to be done.

20. The Ghostwriter profile image83
    The Ghostwriterposted 12 years ago

I would get in touch with the person in charge and ask him to explain the rationale

21. Naomi's Banner profile image72
    Naomi's Bannerposted 12 years ago

I would have a holy fit about this one.  First of all they need to be contacting me as the parent first and getting permission.  By law you cannot interview a juvenile without parent consent or at least a parent present at which time they are also allowed an attorney if charges are being filed.  If charges are not being filed they do not even have a right to interview the child.  I would also go after the school district that allowed such a thing to happen without my being called.

22. windresistant profile image61
    windresistantposted 12 years ago

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions. Its the way that the Secret Service does this kind of stuff that is alarming. And of all things, a little kid? One of thousands who probably posted something similar? I really don't think the Secret Service should be spending so much time facebook stalking little kids! Haha!

23. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 12 years ago

Our own government is trying to terrify us, pure and simple.  If enough people are terrified of so-called terrorists, the government will be able to "swoop in" and save us with all sorts of laws passed "for our protection."  It keeps happening.  Fascism keeps happening..

1. Terri Meredith profile image67
      Terri Meredithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't have said it better myself!

24. Karl  VanGuilder profile image61
    Karl VanGuilderposted 12 years ago

i would be furious . this is clearly a violation of our constitutional rights and our freedoms .
    it's high time we regain control of our country and take action to stop those in office from runing riot in america
    after all it is we the people that are the true Gov't and those in office who are our workers , not our rulers .

25. profile image0
    The Taco Taggerposted 12 years ago

yeaaa... gotta love free speech. You know it's a little ridiculous that you can threaten anyone you want, but if it's the President, then watch the heck out. What a load.

26. brycges profile image60
    brycgesposted 12 years ago

Reminds me of the Iran "moral police" tactics

27. Etherealenigma profile image69
    Etherealenigmaposted 12 years ago

Wow! Are you serious? I'd be ticked off for sure! Was it his own fb account? Did they know his age? In truth, if they did, and even if they didn't, there are some treacherous 13 year olds these days; and yes, some could be a threat. I think they probably were doing the standard thing they do to protect the president, but at the same time, if they were going to question an under aged child; you, as the parent, should have been notified first; so at the very least you could be present, or have legal representation present for him. Technically, if they thought that he said something worthy of charging him with, they would be in violation of his Miranda rights. Just the fact that they questioned him in this manner, says to me, Miranda violation, because he would have to be informed of his rights to representation, and if he wasn't...that sounds like a lawsuit to me.

28. kripkrip420 profile image60
    kripkrip420posted 12 years ago

Unfortunately, in this situation, every threat has to be taken as serious. It is very unlikely that the 13 year old posed or poses any threat to the President. However, if they let their guard down for anyone or anything, they risk tragedy striking. Al Qaeda appears to be a very convincing force. Children are often some of the most easily persuaded individuals on the planet. Just because it is a child, doesn't rule him/her out. The secret service was simply doing their job. Should they have waited for the mother? That is debatable. These matters generally require urgent attention and sitting around and waiting isn't considered an efficient use of ones time. With respect to the treatment of the child, that is a different story. Obviously, the child should be treated as one. The secret service should not be overly harsh and should employ milder methods to get to the truth. 99% of the time, this will simply be a joke or an attention hog. The problem is the other 1%. They must always be prepared for anything. Terrorists sure don't leave anything to chance. Why should the secret service? It simply leaves them open to attack.

29. Usman Musa Usman profile image60
    Usman Musa Usmanposted 12 years ago

Honestly the boy speak coz alot of bomb will start coming up.
    Bin laden has many follower where the security service can't do anythings, this show the people should always be in ready.

30. LaniK profile image60
    LaniKposted 12 years ago

I would inform my child (or be aware, myself) that this is the era in which we live.  Be honest and answer accordingly.  If we have nothing to hide, this will be reavealed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)