Do you think more children today are disrespectful than they were 60 years ago?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (16 posts)
  1. backporchstories profile image73
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

Do you think more children today are disrespectful than they were 60 years ago?

We learn from our media all about bullying and bloody girl fights.  Even though bullying existed in the 50s and "cat" fights were known among the girls, is this more intense today and why?

2. glmclendon profile image60
    glmclendonposted 11 years ago

Yes. I think this is do to children having children and the effect of the type of TV our kids watch and the songs they hear. Parents want to be friendsand not parents. Kids see their parents model unacceptable behaviorat more can we get from the kids?

3. billybuc profile image85
    billybucposted 11 years ago

I don't think it, I know it! I would love to blame the media but lessons of respect begin at home.  Bullying begins at home, disrespect begins at home, all anti-social behavior begins at home.  Children are not born as bullies....they are not born disrespectful....they are not born as rude human beings....that is a learned behavior.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Absolutely.  When I as a girl if a teacher called me on something, I was scared to death because she/he was an authority figure.  Nowadays kids do not have that same trepidation when an adult in authority speaks to them.

Why?  I wish I knew, but I really am not sure.

5. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

Yes. I do think children today are more disrespectful. I believe a majority of it is because the parents allow it. A lot of today's parents are either too busy or just don't have an interest in being significantly involved with their children. Children are growing themselves up - not knowing what to do. I think today's children crave attention, so any behavior, even disrespectful behavior is going to give them the attention they are starving to receive.

6. Freeway Flyer profile image83
    Freeway Flyerposted 11 years ago

Since I wasn't around 60 years ago, I can't really say. But the fact that many people will probably say yes is partly the result of a human tendency to romanticize the past. 1950's greasers, after all, seemed a bit disrespectful.

1. backporchstories profile image73
      backporchstoriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting thoughts.  However, if we explore the subject I think we will find we were had better demonstrations for people around us of moral values back then than today.

7. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

No, I don't think they are more or less disrespectful  as compared to the other times.

8. gclitty profile image81
    gclittyposted 11 years ago

Yes.  And it's the parents fault.  Our generation was failed by the last generation a little more than the last generation was failed by the former last generation who was first failed by the former former last generation.

9. AnnaCia profile image77
    AnnaCiaposted 11 years ago

I do think a large percentage of children today are more disrespectful.  As billybuc and others commented, those parents who let activities, experiences and behaviors not appropriate for a child's right development in society, are responsible for the children who are disrespectful.  Family values, responsibilities and respect are elements that are not practice in many households.

10. Catherine Kane profile image82
    Catherine Kaneposted 11 years ago

Interesting. This question actually seems to be several questions, so I'm going to try to answer them all.

Are they more disrespectful? Not necessarily. I seem to remember a lot of muttering from kids in the past that I still hear today.

I think that disrespect is often more blatant these days. I think this is mainly because we've gone through a period where people are more interested in being their children's friends than their parents. To be an effective parent, you need to have your priority be raising a decent child to a decent adult, and that needs to be more important than does the child like you.

This shift in parenting is not all bad- part of it is an increase in mutual respect/decrease in abuse, and that's good. The new dynamic just needs better balance ( and parents willing to make the hard decisions)

Other topic- is there more bullying? No. That's something that's always been with us in different forms; but people are becoming more aware of it and less tolerant of it, and that's a good thing

11. profile image0
    idratherbeposted 11 years ago

Yes! Too many parents today, try to be their children's friend, instead of being the parent. They are too lenient and with little to no consequences for bad behavior. You see it all the time in restaurants and in the stores, kids running around wildly, while the parents ignore their bad behavior.

12. Clive Donegal profile image65
    Clive Donegalposted 11 years ago

I think that disresepect has always been with us. When I was a child, the majority of classmates were friendly and courteous, but there were a few who were discourteous, although rarely to the extent that we see now.
    Television and film have raised the bar for what is acceptable. Rudeness is celebrated and crude language that we do not use in our home is not uncommon.
    So I think two major factors are at work:
    1. Print and electronic media scour the globe for bad behavior, so we are exposed not only to our personal pool of people who do not adhere to our  standards of behavior, but also to everyone's pool around the world. That is to say that we are aware of a much wider pool of malefactors and discourteous persons.
    2. The standards have changed. By prevalent standards 60 years ago, today's children are wildly out of control. By current standards, they are merely freer to express themselves. Children are no longer seen but not heard. They speak out and believe that if it is true, rudeness is not a factor. It is merely freedom of speech, as they understand it.
    3. The children who are rude are so confrontational about it that it feels more widespead than it is.
    Despite the foregoing, the vast majority of the children I see are well-mannered, even by my standards from 60 years ago.

13. Justin Muir profile image89
    Justin Muirposted 11 years ago

Every generation thinks that the up and coming generation is going to hell in a handbag.  I think there has been a fundamental shift in how younger people interact with each other and authority figures but it has probably been the result of technology and stark social realities (high divorce rates, rough job markets, healthcare, etc)

14. algarveview profile image74
    algarveviewposted 11 years ago

I think so, because parents let them get away with most things since they are small, so they have this sense of impunity... When I was a child I was perfectly  aware I would not get away with whatever wrong I did, my mom would make sure of that, so... Now, I have children and I hope I will be able to do as well as she did in that department, altough I'm affraid they may be victims of these other children, but that is another matter...

15. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

absolutely, but back then the parents had morals and believed in raising up their
    children.   Most moms were home with them,    Today they are mostly drug up or they raise themselves.   Parents dont have time to raise them because they are too busy looking out for themselves.     in fact in some states if you try to raise your kids right today they may take them away from you.   Unfortunately we have too many liberals and psychiatrists  trying to run everyones life.  I would place a lot of the blame on the public schools dumbing down of everyone in the mix too.
    This sure isnt the country i grew up in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)