What is humanity's greatest weakness?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Richawriter profile image85
    Richawriterposted 11 years ago

What is humanity's greatest weakness?

We have many, that is clear. However, which do you think is our most negative one?

2. InCourage profile image60
    InCourageposted 11 years ago

We are.  The greatest of people is matched only by our ability to really make horrible decisions.  The same society that establishes the greatest democratic republic in the history of the world did so by the forced removal and even systematic extermination of a race of people while using slave labor to build industry and maintain agriculture.  The duplicity of man is astounding.

Richawriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I completely agree. Not to mention the many terrible decisions made by that same republic in the last 40-50 years or more!

3. mperrottet profile image82
    mperrottetposted 11 years ago

I would have to say that greed is the cause of the majority of problems in the world.

1. Nomascus concolor profile image61
      Nomascus concolorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with you. Greed is the source of most issues in this world - whether it is internal issues (not finding hapiness even though you have the necessary) or external issues (destroying the Earth). The two are of course related.

2. Crissylite profile image75
      Crissyliteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I concur.

3. Richawriter profile image85

Indeed, that is the fundamental truth which eventually needs to be perceived by those who choose to live in their own bubbles of ignorance. If the majority rise up against these greedy ..... then we might just get somewhere!

4. Myfanwy profile image68
    Myfanwyposted 11 years ago

People who think there is only one way to live and theirs is the right way.

although you have received one negative, I do tend to agree with that sentiment as that is one of the greatest problems we face today, e.g. religions, nations, goverments and their people etc.

5. cat on a soapbox profile image94
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

Humanity's greatest weakness is ego (self-importance.)

Yep, ego is definitely one of the great weaknesses of man!

6. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 11 years ago

I cannot speak for humanity as a whole but, personally, my greatest weakness is women who I am physically attracted to.

hehehe. Man that is a tiring weakness. I feel sorry for you, mate. You must be exhausted!!

7. profile image57
    kdawsonposted 11 years ago

We are so easily convinced, so quick to let go our own standards when some bum with a slick delivery wants us to, say, shut the gas chamber door and lock them in.

Who do you mean when you mention the gassing? Sorry, my mind is coming up with a few possibilities here.

2. profile image57
      kdawsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The regular guys who collaborated in the holocaust.

3. Richawriter profile image85

Yep, I thought you meant them. Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, we are easily convinced and that is why we are still being controlled like a flock of sheep being herded into pens marked out for 'certain' purposes.

8. H P Roychoudhury profile image40
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 11 years ago

Greed of self is the greatest weakness of humanity.

Exactly, Mr. HP Roychoudhury! That horrible, competitive, envious, hoarding little gremlin - GREED!

9. profile image0
    AndriyRposted 11 years ago

The greatest weakness of humanity if the desire of one group of people to be better than the rest of people. If we look at history - all conflicts an social problems are because one group who are united by some territorial, anthropological, technical or religious criteria consider themselves better than other people who don't have that criteria. Imagine if all people were of the same nationality, religion, race and culture - could there be any conflicts? I guess no. That is why to make humanity more human - people need to lower the importance of all the differences that separate people into groups and concentrate on what actually unites all of us.

1. H P Roychoudhury profile image40
      H P Roychoudhuryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True.

2. Richawriter profile image85

Excellent point AndriyR! It would be good to make the world one nation, language, culture etc. The problem that would arise with that though is that those in control, at the top of the pyramid would use that to practically enslave the human race! Sad

3. profile image0
      AndriyRposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is right! Well, maybe the humanity needs more time to develop the needed moral values. I mean talking about a single human being this process seems to be going ok, but the crowd instincts are still influencing people's opinions.

4. Richawriter profile image85

Yes, I agree. We just need a little more time to develop the neccesary moral values. peace. We can do it! smile

10. Dexter Yarbrough profile image70
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 11 years ago

Humanity's (as a whole) greatest weakness is the lack of "true" compassion for others. It's one thing to talk about starving children or to send a few cents through agencies that claim to care for them. But if these same children were to arrive and live next door to some of us, would we be "good neighbors" or complain?

In my opinion, from the lack of "true" compassion comes greed and other negatives. A child anywhere in the world that is suffering is an indictment on all of humanity, especially when hunger can be eradicated almost instantaneously.

All the money being spent on political campaigns in the US and elsewhere would be more than enough to put smiles on the faces of starving children and food in their bellies.

11. Eugene Hardy profile image60
    Eugene Hardyposted 11 years ago

It is our second greatest strength - our minds. That is, our minds when turned to negative pursuits like hatred or fear.

Yes, Eugene. Simply put, it is our minds when misused, that become our greatest weakness and unfortunately our worldwide obsession with material things and reliance upon ego mean it is often misused. Thanks! Have a great day! smile

12. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 11 years ago

Sex.  The misuse of it.  Sex has become a sport, instead of what it is meant to be...a demonstration of love between two people. 

Women and men now go to bars to "hook up."  One night stands.  The third date rule: to have sex by the third date.

This is not how I was raised. 

The result:  Emotional damage.  Abortions.  Sexual diseases.  Unwanted babies.  Wanting the "milk for free" with no commitment.  Devastation.  Rape.  Murder.  I could go on and on.

Sincerely, Sparklea

Good answer. The other answers look at the bigger picture but your answer is closer to what needs to be dealt with NOW. Unfortunately, music and television promote the 'misuse' of sex and music and television is more popular than ever! Thanks!

2. Sparklea profile image60
      Sparkleaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Richawriter THANK YOU SO MUCH for responding, and, most important, for understanding!  Very few would agree with what I just wrote.  Blessings, Sparklea

3. cat on a soapbox profile image94
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree w/ Richawriter's comment. Great answer!

13. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 6 years ago

Humanities' greatest weakness is it's inability to distinguish between individual freedoms and social justice...the inability to see the world as it is, rather than how it should be..Critical thinking has been replaced with political correctness and the distortion of historical fact...The only truly redeeming attribute we have is love, coupled with personal integrity...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)