Do you make a comment on every Hub you vote "up" after reading?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (23 posts)
  1. xstatic profile image62
    xstaticposted 11 years ago

Do you make a comment on every Hub you vote "up" after reading?

I always do make a comment, even a short one, and just wondered if a lot of people read and vote without comment.   Do you ever read and not vote? I have done that occasionally.

2. profile image0
    lovedoctor926posted 11 years ago

Good question. Yes, for the most part, I usually do.  I might not do so right away, but I usually try to reply by the end of the week. It depends on the comment. Sometimes there's really nothing else to say once a person has commented unless you want to thank them again for stopping by.

xstaticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. But I was thinking about the Hubs that we read, and whether people vote and/or comment.

2. Teresa Schultz profile image66
      Teresa Schultzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find it interesting that your answer currently has the most votes when you didn't answer the question.

3. tapasrecipe profile image60
      tapasrecipeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

;-))

3. tapasrecipe profile image60
    tapasrecipeposted 11 years ago

If I read it to the end, then yes I usually do, sometimes something happens and I forget, that is quite rare though, it seems kinda polite to comment and vote if it has kept you entertained or helped you in some way. An example would be my flamenco hub I know it is not too bad even though I am not a very good writer, and I have had some wonderful comments from people whose writing I admire, but that is a very small % of the total number of people who have actually viewed the hub.
    Maybe it is actually rubbish and people are too polite LOL Carrie

I always try to comment. I just left one on that great flamenco hub, in fact.

4. BeyondMax profile image60
    BeyondMaxposted 11 years ago

When I just joined Hubs I was so overwhelmed with the variety of the hubs and talented work (and free to top it! - I had a constant vertigo from this sugar coma, honest) that I felt my comments were not worthy of leaving, I did vote up though as a form of respect and appreciation. Then I realized that while stealth surfing is still entertaining to me it is really important to leave a positive comment and to show your support to the writer because it may encourage them to create more of the works that everyone will enjoy in the future and make them see that there are real people behind just voting and just surfing who truly like their work. So now I rather spend extra time leaving a comment than just vote up and pass by. But I always vote up, no matter what.

5. Suhail and my dog profile image80
    Suhail and my dogposted 11 years ago

If a topic interests me, I always read it first, always leave a comment from personal aspect, vote on its various contributions, and may even vote up, in my opinion, if it deserves to be voted up.

I also return to many hubs that I like and try to engage with the hub writer and anyone else who visits that hub and would like to engage in a mutually beneficial exchange of comments that increase knowledge. Some hubbers immediately click, others not so much.

6. joanveronica profile image68
    joanveronicaposted 11 years ago

Yes, I always write a comment combined with voting up! My first reaction is the comment, if the Hub has given me something to say. Then I usually have to go back and vote up, when I realize I had passed this by! What are we going to do when there is no Vote up, as appears to be the new format? Or is it placed somewhere else on the page?

I saw a Hub this morning and did not recognize the format, but I think there was a place to vote it up...not sure now.

2. Teresa Schultz profile image66
      Teresa Schultzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@xstatic - since the technology category hubs have changed their format, I haven't seen a vote up button on them.

7. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

Yes, I always comment after reading hubs. I do hub hopping most of the time. 80% I vote up and leave some advice. Sometimes I don't vote up but vote interesting or useful depending on the hubs.

Hmmm, interesting. I never thought about voting something interesting/usful without voting it Up. If I like it I always vote up, never have voted down. When Hopping I just bypass the ones that don't interest me or that I don't like.

8. aviannovice profile image84
    aviannoviceposted 11 years ago

I rarely read and not vote.  I oftentimes have something to say after I hace taken the time to read.  To me, it is only polite.

9. libby1970 profile image67
    libby1970posted 11 years ago

I try to. However, there are those rare times I just don't have a comment. Most of the time I do have a comment...but some rare hubs don't interest me that much so i just vote it up and useful if the information is good and the hub is well put together and grammer-error free.

10. jennzie profile image71
    jennzieposted 11 years ago

I usually do vote and comment on hubs that I read. At times if I am feeling tired or whatever I won't, but the majority of the time I do try to.

11. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I don't make comments for the sake of making comments.  If I think I have something to add to "the discussion" I'll add it.  If I really find something especially good about the Hub I'll comment. 

I always vote up (although rarely I may forget), whether or not I comment.  I often also click on the "interesting", "funny", etc. buttons as well as voting up.  The main idea with commenting is generally supposed to be to comment when there's something meaningful we can add.

A lot of people don't like this kind of thing at the bottom of their Hubs: 

"good Hub"
    "thanks"
    "nice Hub"
    "thanks"
    "great Hub"
    "thank you"
    "interesting Hub"
    "thank you"
    "thank you for writing this Hub"
    "thank  you - and you're welcome"

........(that kind of thing).  It adds nothing to the Hub, really.  A lot of the comments people think up for the sake of making comments are obviously just longer versions of what's above.

12. WebsiteConfetti profile image60
    WebsiteConfettiposted 11 years ago

I don't always comment when I vote. If I read a great hub I vote it up as I want it to do well, but I unless I have a non-generic comment I won't comment. Basically I won't comment just for the sake of it, or for the sake of boosting hub scores

13. profile image0
    sandoniaposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't do it all the time. Sometimes I think a vote is sufficient to express my thoughts on the matter. At other times, I feel like more is needed.

14. meditatio profile image60
    meditatioposted 11 years ago

Unless I think I can really bring something to either the hub or the conversation, I do not see why I ought to comment on a great hub. Supporting the article by voting it up (or posting it on Fb) and clicking on the adjectives that apply should be sufficient to convey the idea that I enjoyed spending my time on this page.
    Commenting for the sake of it sounds like noise to me. But that might be only me smile

15. snowdrops profile image38
    snowdropsposted 11 years ago

i always leave comments. If I open the hub, i would surely read it..

16. mom4autism profile image59
    mom4autismposted 11 years ago

If I read a hub and find it written well or it truly moves me, I will comment. I think it's nice to validate someone's work on a hub. My view is that if people are taking time to write something personal to them that they want to share, then I feel it's my duty to let them know how much I appreciated it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)