How do you feel about people that insist on pretending that they are someone, ot

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Princess Prisca profile image60
    Princess Priscaposted 11 years ago

How do you feel about people that insist on pretending that they are someone, other than themselves?

I am a frim believer in: 'Unto thine own self, be true...'  How do you feel about people that insist on pretending that they are someone, other than themselves?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6631342_f260.jpg

2. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I understand why people do it: It can be so scary to put ourselves out there, and then not be met or understood. Also, some people truly don't know who they are: They're only aware of who they've learned to be.

But it is sad. Everyone, in themselves, is such a unique and beautiful person. I hope we all learn to let that shine forth!

3. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 11 years ago

They may need help to deal with the negative experiences in their past which prevent them from dealing with who they are.

4. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

1. I would wonder about their age.
    2. Alter egos are ok for individuals to have. However, it would depend on how close they are and the relationship between them and their alter ego.
    3. They should be checked out by a psychologist to see what issues they have with their original self.

5. Catherine Kane profile image83
    Catherine Kaneposted 11 years ago

It depends.

One great way  to grow and achieve your goals as a human being is to "act as if" you already are that person. For instance, if you'd like to become more confident, you ask yourself "how would a confident person act?" and then do those things.

By doing this, you eventually achieve that goal and become that new you

A person doing such things could be perceived as pretending they are someone other than  who they are, but it'd be fine.

1. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In this case, I would say the person is acting as if they truly are who they already are inside - the wonder waiting to come out!

2. Catherine Kane profile image83
      Catherine Kaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

love that Sid

6. MilesArmbruster profile image61
    MilesArmbrusterposted 11 years ago

Generally my primary feeling for people like this is pity, or sympathy. I feel sad for people who are so lacking in confidence that they hide behind a false personna. People like this I want to encourage and help them to find an honest confidence and direction that will free them from their fears.
    At the same time, sometimes I get angry, because some of the nastiest, most judgmental people I know put out so much effort to "appear" nice and pious. This kind of hypocrisy bugs me.

1. SidKemp profile image85

Thank you for your honesty, Miles. Your entry is what this thread is all about!

7. raquelpier profile image68
    raquelpierposted 11 years ago

It is so rare that anyone is who they profess or claim to be...and even when and if they are, often they are not accepted-hence the reason so few are who they say they are! smile
    I’ll be 42 years old soon and it is only recently that I figured out who that is-I don’t think I was ‘pretending’ so much as ‘playing it by ear’ though. I used to have no tolerance or patience for people that acted ‘accordingly’ dependent upon the company he or she was in or who was around.
    Love me or hate me-I am essentially the same person I have always been, as to whether that is a good thing or bad thing is debatable. There is one thing that changes about me and can change at any given time, and that is my willingness to learn and grow and respect others as they are, for who they are. Unfortunately, we may only know that about a person, which they are willing to reveal-or in many instances, that which they are or were pretending to be.

8. libby1970 profile image68
    libby1970posted 11 years ago

That sort of behavior is completely immature! I can see a child playing "dress up" or "teacher" but an adult should be who they are--themself!

Someone who wants to be someone else surely has some underlying issues with their self image. I am proud of who I am and wouldn't want to be anyone else...not even a famous person! Famous people aren't any better off than the average folk...they have a whole list of issues of their own--one is not being able to keep a steady relationship! No thanks! I'll take being me any day!

A person should first learn to love themself then move on to love others! You have to look at a person and wonder what is really going on when they can't be themself!

1. Catherine Kane profile image83

Actually, it can be kinda fun to pretend to be someone else part of the time.

And it doesn't have to mean that you're not proud of yourself. I'm fine with myself and know who I am, but I also spend part of my time working at renaissance faires....

2. SidKemp profile image85

Catherine - thanks for adding the idea of pretending for fun. But, when we do that, are we really doing what Princess Prisca was talking about, "insist[ing] on" pretending. At a Renaissance Fair, are you exploring a part of who you truly are?

3. Catherine Kane profile image83

SidKemp, I think it's all about exploring different parts of myself, and who I might choose to become. To do that, sometimes I'll play with what it might be like to be someone else...

9. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 11 years ago

People who do it because they are lack of confidence.

They will hide behind a mask as they feel inferior to others. This should not be the way as we are all unique in our own ways. It is just a matter of discovering our TRUE SELF.

I face myself through all challenges in life. I believe I am what I am. So why should I hide behind others.

1. Catherine Kane profile image83

But it doesn't have to be due to lack of confidence.

Sometimes its just for fun smile

2. edhan profile image38
      edhanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I do agreed that some may do it for fun.

10. Darrell Roberts profile image70
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

Once could also look at the situation this way how do we know who another person really has in their heart.  The way a person dresses means nothing to me, I am about looking at the choices that they make and the action that they take.  I also keep into account that some times a person may be in transition, working on trying to be a better person.  It take time to get to know another person and people change over time, so it is not the easiest thing to say who is who. 

I do my best to try to see the good in all people, when people meet me I would like them to see the good in me. 

Best wishes

11. Princess Prisca profile image60
    Princess Priscaposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6679160_f260.jpg

Hello My fellow Hubbers,

Thank you so much for so many outstanding and wise comments to this question.  Everyone was so honest and insightful.

Blessings!
    Ciao...Princess Prisca

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)