What would it be like to be immortal?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. joanwz profile image82
    joanwzposted 11 years ago

What would it be like to be immortal?

What do you see as the perks and the pitfalls of immortality?

2. jennzie profile image71
    jennzieposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't want to live forever. If you lived forever and your family and friends did not you would have to eventually experience everyone close to you die, so you would have to live your life alone which I don't think is worth it at all. I also wouldn't want to have to experience earthly pain and suffering forever, either.

joanwzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can see your point. THis would definitely be one of the major pitfalls to immortality.

3. daskittlez69 profile image77
    daskittlez69posted 11 years ago

I think it would be very boring after awhile.

Is this because "the more things the more they stay the same?"

4. Nick Barricella profile image70
    Nick Barricellaposted 11 years ago

Well, if everyone were to be immortal then life would be awful. There would be tremendous overpopulation, and everyone would be fighting for resources. But if you're talking about an individual point of view, there would be some upside. You could achieve unlimited knowledge about just about anything. You could mold your life to what you want because you would have all the time in the world, literally. However, you wouldn't be able to get close to people because they would eventually die. Therefore, being independently immortal isn't really a good choice either. I'm fine with the way life is. Have a nice day =smile

5. Mazzy Bolero profile image68
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

I've often thought it would be good if you could stay young and healthy for a long time.  You could do all the things you dreamed of doing.  Instead, when we get old enough to understand what life is about and what we should do to make our life a happy success, we're on the way out:) Eternity is too much even to think about, though. To cope with that, we would have to transform into a completely different type of being.

The question is whether we would develop super-human wisdom or just be an anachronism. Our brains develop mainly after birth according to what our senses experience and that would change over the centuries. Yet we cannot change our earliest experiences, so we could be like a time traveler from the past.

Just a thought - as you get older, they say your ears and your nose keep growing. If we lived for much longer than we do, wouldn't we start looking really, really weird?

LOL. Yeah we would.

6. Kevo1986 profile image58
    Kevo1986posted 11 years ago

I think being immortality here on Earth wouldn't be good but that's only because I believe in life after death and that our essence is immortal.  If you believe death here is the end then immortality would be more attractive. 

If you live forever after death as an essence then you get to explore a different reality acquiring more and more knowledge.  If you are an immortal human all your knowledge would be acquired here on Earth and it would become your little playground. Though being master of Earth would surely become boring throughout eternity.

If you lived for eternity on Earth after sometime one should find a way to become immune to feelings of love for people who in turn would become just pawns.

7. profile image58
    Mikeal Huffposted 11 years ago

I think it would have its benefits and its disadvantages. It would depend on your moral standings and whether or not you cared for anyone. On the one hand it would be rather lonely, because you would lose everyone you ever loved, time and time again see someone you care deeply for die, and after a while I can imagine you would give up on love completely. On the other hand though, you could turn quite a profit by collecting items and storing them. Then say a few centuries down the line sell those items. That is IF you had the patients to do so. GOLD that is what I would do, buy and sell gold.

8. Victoria Anne profile image92
    Victoria Anneposted 11 years ago

When I think about immortality I always think of Tuck Everlasting. They have grown bored of their never ending life and they can't even make lasting friends because their secret would be revealed. They have to watch people they love die.

Plus when I first read that book I just kept thinking of what would happen if Earth blew up or something. They would just float around space for eternity?

9. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 11 years ago

There are clearly no pitfalls for being immortal. You don't have to fear death. It is up to your opinion that living for such a long time brings boredom.

1. Kevo1986 profile image58
      Kevo1986posted 11 years agoin reply to this

But IF there is life after death it would be a gamble, and if you were immortal and found out there is life after death, would you see this as a 'pitfall'?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)