How has the American Dream changed over the past 100 years?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. CWanamaker profile image96
    CWanamakerposted 11 years ago

How has the American Dream changed over the past 100 years?

2. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

People use to work hard for the American Dream, now they want it handed to them!

3. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years ago

Fantastic question! I'm thinking of my great grandfather. He escaped Kaiser Wilheim's Germany and came to L.A. He helped design the L.A. City Hall. For him, the dream was the freedom to speak without being put in prison.

For my grandfather, the dream was to save money and buy farms, so he could be independent.

For me, the dream was to escape from being told what to do and have a business of my own. Also, the dream was not to be shot for being Jewish, as happened to my cousin in Hungary when I was 10.

For my kids, the American dream is to be able to self-preoccupied without being ashamed of it. They said that's the new individualism--self-pre-occurpation. Forget everything and everybody else!

For my Mexican neighbors, the dream is to work hard and get rewarded so you can take care of your family and church.

For by dark skinned neighbors, the dream is to be called Americans without an hyphenated name-calling.

For billionaires, I guess the dream is to be free to run the whole show, even buy the presidency.

4. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

I believe the American Dream has changed in terms of the types of effort that must go into reaching the American Dream. People who rely on past paths to reaching the American Dream without acknowledging the modern changes, will encounter difficulty if not failure.

As a side note in full agreement with Peeples, I too have noticed a dramatic and annoying increase in the number of people who feel entitled to having whatever they choose without expending any effort for it.

5. Cre8tor profile image91
    Cre8torposted 11 years ago

The "American Dream" has been so many things for different people over the last 100 years as Dr. B. Kidd has mentioned so well. I would be so bold to add that many just dreamed of not having to fetch water or have something clean to "wipe" with.

Today? Dreams? What dreams? No one dreams anymore unless it involves fast cars, big houses and more money than anyone person could ever need and not have to do a dang thing for it.

I know, not everyone but look at the world today. Our ancestors of a hundred years ago, particularly those who died fighting for their country/beliefs, would be ashamed in many cases.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cre8tor, the idea you're pursuing here might be summed up as: American's sense of individualism is now as sense of complete self-absorption. I think it holds for a lot of people, like that 50% who do not have to worry about the next rent payment.

2. Cre8tor profile image91
      Cre8torposted 11 years agoin reply to this

More to say today's dreams have no substance. "We all want to be big stars, but we don't know how and we don't know why.(Counting Crows) More like gluttony but not in a class bias. Before class is even known...the dream is rich & lazy with no int

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

In 1912, the American dream was to own your own farm and be debt-free.

7. DAWNEMARS profile image61
    DAWNEMARSposted 11 years ago

The American dream was passed on to the rest of the world. Consumerism began to take hold on a larger scale in the 1950's in American and Europe. After the Second World War many bought in to the American Dream.

8. watergeek profile image94
    watergeekposted 11 years ago

I believe the American dream has fallen apart and people are scrambling to find a new one. Dominating the world clearly doesn't work. We're not that comparatively great in education, health, or economic progress anymore. Military power is not a worthwhile goal. Acquiring money as a dream doesn't work either, and moneyed people being in charge doesn't work.

I see people working to create community now. And I see people working to preserve the environment. And I see people looking for what makes them truly happy. So maybe the quest now is, "In what way can I be a worthy contributor to my community, while living in harmony with the natural world?"

9. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

Not being an American, I can only make a guess at this.  But I'd say it would mainly involve the 'Work Ethic.'   A hundred years ago - especially in places like America, Australia, New Zealand, Canada where there were a lot of newcomers from other lands - the dream was "Work hard and you can grow rich."

Today it is "Get smart and you can grow rich,"   The dumb work hard.  The bright have an angle.

Pardon the cynicism, but that is how I see it.  A hundred years ago, only a small percentage of people 'worked the system' to stay ahead of the pack.  Now everyone tries to do it.

10. TyeshaMatthews profile image60
    TyeshaMatthewsposted 11 years ago

Women and men want to be equals and no woman has to settle anymore. Women have become independent and there are many technical, educational, and social advantages in today's world.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, "settle" is not in the vocabulary of love anymore. The world changes fast. The "rules of love" you grew up under no longer apply when you reach adulthood. So, you learn to negotiate with each new relationship like the whole thing was new.

2. TyeshaMatthews profile image60
      TyeshaMatthewsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My American Dream is Working Hard and being a good wife , Mother, friend, sister, paralegal and planting seeds that will grow in the community.
      Just want to pay the bills and relax on weekends. Looking for that dream job now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)