Does anyone use fountain pen for writing even today?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (29 posts)
  1. ashish04joshi profile image66
    ashish04joshiposted 11 years ago

Does anyone use fountain pen for writing even today?

2. flashmakeit profile image60
    flashmakeitposted 11 years ago

Yes to sign cards, to write checks and to sign guest books at events.

ashish04joshiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh!! thankfully...atleast someone does!! I like collecting fountain pens but haven't used since long.

3. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

No, I use a dip pen for all my personal writing.

4. Suzie HQ profile image91
    Suzie HQposted 11 years ago

Yes, i still like to use a fountain pen, i particularly prefer a heavy fat fountain pen with a broad nib as i also enjoy calligraphy. but mostly i enjoy dismantling my pen to refill with ink.

That's nice, Ma'm. Even I used to enjoy calligraphy and still do, but my writing has drastically changed since some time, don't know how. Since then, my wrist aches while writing.

2. Adrien Richards profile image60
      Adrien Richardsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

heavy ones are real good, and broad nibs.

5. anusujith profile image68
    anusujithposted 11 years ago

I got a Parker fountain pen... I used to write with that. It serving me more than 3 years...

Great...A Parker fountain pen!!!

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

It's true that fountain pen is not used as much as it was used earlier. But it looks classy and I prefer to use it, when writing something really special.

something special....like what??

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Like greeting cards for birthdays or anniversaries. Even while writing my diary I prefer writing with a good fountain pen.

7. profile image57
    kumar24894posted 11 years ago

Yes i use sometimes . I love to write with it, specially with the one having the nib partially cut.

8. radhapriestess profile image40
    radhapriestessposted 11 years ago

I used all kinds of pens for all kinds of writing, including blogs. I find I never get writer's block when I use the pen. I use computer for final draft and posting.

1. Adrien Richards profile image60
      Adrien Richardsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

that is the same with me, you must like coloured inks too?

9. Hui (蕙) profile image60
    Hui (蕙)posted 11 years ago

I have not used a fountain pen for a long time, but I guess it still remains its special position in market. Some fountains in selling are really classical and really expensive, and kinda are used as meaningful gift many times. However, it is true that fewer and fewer people use them in present days.

Very true. I feel fountain pens are only used as presents these days. I still cherish the one given by my English teacher to me way back. It's a special present in itself.

10. Elderberry Arts profile image91
    Elderberry Artsposted 11 years ago

I haven't used one since school 15 years ago. I used to like writing with one and my mum bought me a white and silver Parker set of fountain pen and roller ball.

15 years!!! That's a long time...
      I don't know if Parker made fountain pens are even available today.

11. profile image0
    Jade0215posted 11 years ago

I don't and I don't know anyone that does that either.

12. writeyourwrongs profile image46
    writeyourwrongsposted 11 years ago

Fountain pens, dip pens, quills, straw-and-ink...
    All these old fashioned methods of writing are incredibly romantic as it were and I'd love to say I used them still today.
    In fact, if I could then I would.
    But the fact is, despite being a full time writer by trade, I have never had the knack for holding a fountain pen right. The writing always ends up with blobs here, dribbles there and nothing somewhere.
    My hand writing is atrocious at the best of times with a ballpoint pen, and a fountain pen just makes this worse.
    Wish I could.
    'Fraid I can't.
    Therefore I don't.

Never mind, you shouldn't...

And you're right, it's out of fashion today. But when it wasn't, it had a class of its own.

13. profile image0
    Milli Thorntonposted 11 years ago

I have a Waterman in a lovely blue case, which was a gift from a group of writing students. It's not totally authentic, though - it uses cartridges. But that suits me, actually. I'm not purist enough to want to fill a fountain pen from a bottle of ink.

I love the romantic idea of writing with my Waterman. But when I do use it in my journal, I find it scratchy and it slows me down. I'm also annoyed when the ink skips while forming letters. I love my handwriting to flow, so after using the Waterman I always end up going back to a ballpoint pen from the supermarket. Sad, but true.

Wow, that's one moment to be really proud of...a gift from students.

Of course ball point pens give you a much better flow but not every fountain pen is bothersome. I've had some really fine pens when I was in school.

2. profile image0
      Milli Thorntonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ashish04joshi - That's exactly why I keep trying to use my Waterman, from time to time. Because it was a special gift. I wish I had more pleasure from using it. Your reply has encouraged me not to judge all fountain pens from my Waterman experience.

14. CWanamaker profile image94
    CWanamakerposted 11 years ago

At one point in time I used a fountain pen to sign my name on letters and other documents.  I felt that it left an elegant and classy touch to something that was otherwise normally mundane.   I even wrote notes for my then girlfriend with a fountain pen. Once I ran out of my ten pack of ink cartridges, I decided I was fine going back to signing documents with gel-ink pens.  I also took a calligraphy class in college, but haven't done anything with what I learned since then.  However, since you posted this question, you've got me thinking.......

Ah...a letter to that someone special turns even more special when written with an ink pen.

15. Edward J. Palumbo profile image85
    Edward J. Palumboposted 10 years ago

I use several "favorite" fountain pens for personal correspondence, such as "thank You" notes or letters of condolence, because these are very personal expressions and cursive writing with a fountain pen is unique, personal and as expressive as you wish. Yes, fountain pens require a bit more care, but they are worth the effort. I find I write best when I am relaxed and unhurried, but those with whom I correspond appreciate a handwritten letter.

16. profile image50
    Xrciselft4RDRposted 8 years ago

Far better writers than you'll ever be write their PUBLISHED novels with fountain pens, cupcake:
    Neal Stephenson starting writing with fountain pens with The Baroque Cycle and has not used a word processor for writing since. He also edits his work with a fountain pen.
    Starting with Stardust, Neal Gaiman has written all of his novels with a fountain pen.
    Jonathan Carroll writes all of his novels with fountain pens.
    Stephen King wrote Dreamcatcher with a fountain pen.
    Claire Jessud writes her novels with fountain pen.
    Shelby Foote wrote all of his Civil War histories with a dip pen.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)