Do you vote down a comment just because you don't agree with it?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Ellana317 profile image70
    Ellana317posted 11 years ago

Do you vote down a comment just because you don't agree with it?

OR... do you vote down comments that have a lack of substance, are offensive, or are irrelevant?

2. sethpowers profile image60
    sethpowersposted 11 years ago

Personally I prefer to use more rational methods to determine how I vote for or against a particular comment. In most cases, I just form my own opinions and keep them to myself by refraining from voting at all.

I would surmise most people do the opposite. If you pay attention to which comments are overwhelmingly voted down, they are more often than not comments supporting a minority viewpoint.

Ellana317posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well thanks... I just got my first down vote today.    As you can see I am just crushed by this...LOL.

2. forall profile image61
      forallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I see. Just don't think of it Ellana. It happens sometimes without any reason smile
      I saw your answer and I find perfect.

3. Ellana317 profile image70

LOL... Well thank you sir.

4. forall profile image61
      forallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Welcome smile

5. sethpowers profile image60
      sethpowersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Down votes probably mean you are doing something right. Keep up the bad (read: good) work!

3. ashish04joshi profile image66
    ashish04joshiposted 11 years ago

You're talking about answers I suppose.

For me, it all depends on the original question. I might or might not agree with what someone answers, but if that answer doesn't serve any good to the seeker, that's the only time I vote 'down', otherwise I generally don't vote answers any way!

And of course, some answers or comments are too offensive, substandard or irrelevant. But I include these in the criteria I already mentioned.

Yes, I apologize.  I should have specified that.  I am definitely referring to answers.  I very seldom vote for answers myself but I'd imagine that I'd vote something down if it were offensive or totally irrelevant.

2. ashish04joshi profile image66
      ashish04joshiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No apologies for that...I of course got the point. Yeah, the same with me...I too don't do so unless there's an answer that really commands a 'down' vote. May be some people answer questions only for accolades, they don't really care about d question

4. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

I don't, but there are a lot of people who do. Lots of perfectly good answers get voted down. I don't mind in an ego sense, but it does hide answers and I don't really agree with that. I upvote a lot of answers simply to bring them back to the light.

The only time I consider voting an answer down is for factually incorrect information or if it is insulting. Even so I don't do it often.

You bring up a good point.  I had no idea that voting an answer down would hide it.  Interesting... You learn something new every day.

2. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just as an example I have a recent answer that is at +1/-4 and is hidden. Yet it has 15 comments, which would seem to suggest it is somewhat worthwhile. I'm not sure exactly how it works. I've seen a Q where a +2/-4 was visible but a +4/-5 wasn't.???

5. forall profile image61
    forallposted 11 years ago

I don't like to vote down answers, but if any answer contained inappropriate words then I would vote it down and explain if needed.

6. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 11 years ago

I would only vote down an answer if it was factually wrong.  If it's just a matter of opinion and I don't agree with it, then I ignore it.

7. nochance profile image88
    nochanceposted 11 years ago

I only downvote comments because they are inappropriate, incorrect, or irrelevant. This allows good answers to rise to the top while the bad answers stay stuck at the bottom. I will occasionally vote down a comment that while correct, may be downright rude.

Everyone has a right to their opinion and it is not my place to condem their opinions as "wrong."

I have had my fair share of downvotes and it's not a fun place to be, but the amount of upvotes that I get proves that I have something worthwhile to say. I'm really glad hubpages has implemented the "best answer" option.

1. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I kind of like the voting, but I wish they wouldn't hide answers. Putting them on the bottom seems good enough.

2. nochance profile image88
      nochanceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I always like to read the hidden answers. Most of the time they really deserve to be hidden. The only times I really see hidden comments is when they are religious rants.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

It depends on how the comment is worded. If they offer a differing opinion, while respecting the original poster, then I have no problem with someone who disagrees with me. It's when the comments are hateful, insulting or hurtful to anyone involved. HubPages is supposed to be a constructive community, not one that totally agrees, so the only instances where I use the down vote are when someone is making the community look bad.

9. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 11 years ago

I only down vote comments that don't make sense. If its a valid opinion even if its something you might dislike it should be there and stand on its own. Its not right to down vote just because you might not like it. Its the only way to truly get correct feedback.

~thranax~

10. hi friend profile image60
    hi friendposted 11 years ago

Comments are always welcomed.  Hence there is no need to vote down even if it doesn't agree with it.

11. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Usually, the only voting I do is to vote "up" an answer I think is particularly good.  The only thing I'd vote down might be an answer that I know, for a fact, is such bad information it could be dangerous, or at least is such bad information it would be a disservice to the asker (and other readers) not to vote it "down".

12. pals002 profile image60
    pals002posted 11 years ago

I will not vote down a comment just because I don't agree with it. Everyone see things differently and has their own perspective. However if the comment is offensive or factually wrong, I will vote it down.

13. caitlyncook profile image57
    caitlyncookposted 11 years ago

No, but lots of people probably don't understand the entire answer so they vote down due to not understanding clearly.

14. Jorge546 profile image60
    Jorge546posted 11 years ago

Hi Ellana...I only vote down comments that demonstrate judgement based on opinions and not facts.  When someone confuses opinion with facts it is unfortunate and most of the time it shows ignorance, close minded and inability to accept new ideas or concepts.  There are some comments that I don't agree with that I don't vote down because it is written very well and sounds thought out without being unkind to anyone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)