Encountering A Problem With My Mobile Phone's USB Cable

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 11 years ago

Encountering A Problem With My Mobile Phone's USB Cable

I used to transfer pix from my mobile phone camera to my computer's hard drive via an USB cable. Whenever the transfer is completed my phone begins to get charged until whatever power that is depleted is replenished. Noticing this, I quit using the charger and started using the USB cable for both needs. All of a sudden the cable stopped transferring signals. Now I can neither download pictures from my mobile phone nor can I charge the phone via this cable. However, all 6 USB ports on my PC are working fine with other devices. How do I fix this problem? Do I need to get my phone repaired?

2. bernard.sinai profile image78
    bernard.sinaiposted 11 years ago

Have you tried changing the USB cable? Chances are the cable is faulty.

quicksandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No I haven't. I was wondering what could possibly go wrong with a cable, unless of course one of the pins had got damaged. But this too is not possible since it did work for a few fleeting moments and then stopped. Thanks anyway! smile

3. Motherbynature profile image63
    Motherbynatureposted 11 years ago

I had this same exact problem with my Verizon smartphone last night.  The thing is these companies make USB cables that will only work for a certain phone.  Ok so most cell phone plug jacks are universal now, so you can borrow a friend's charger and it will work just find.  But when it comes to data transer you have to have the actual cable that was made for your phone.  You will have to go into you carrier's store and ask an associate to test your phone with a USB cable made for it.  The problem is most likely the cable if your phone still gets a charge from a regular wall charger.  What I did, and you can try this if you have an android phone, was change my USB options in my phone's menu to "mass storage" instead of "media player" before I plugged it into the computer.  It worked like a charm.  I hope this helps.

Charging is no problem since I have the original charger which came along with the phone. The problem is, signals are not passing through the cable. when it does, the "mass storage" option appears on the screen. Anyways, thanks for responding. smile

4. BeatsMe profile image53
    BeatsMeposted 11 years ago

Does your computer has a virus? If not, it had stopped recognizing your phone. I'm not sure if repairing your phone is such a good idea especially if it doesn't have other problems. I usually have that kind of problem whenever I use cheap products. lol. Sorry about that but it really is my experience time and again. Sometimes they work, at most times they don't. I usually don't fix the problem, sometimes the problem fixes itself in time.

I have been told that computers have a tendency to not recognize a gadget. Sometimes, they won't recognize even their own accessories. They didn't say anything about repairing so I'm not sure if something like this can be repaired.

The many times I have experienced them, I look for other ways to transfer the data, like using bluetooth or using memory cards. Hope this helps.

Beats me too, BeatsMe. You are dead right! The cable started working again. I was using a cheap data cable. Lol, a little bit of rest is all what it needed! I guess I should buy a branded data cable. Does not come along with the phone! Thanks again!

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

USB cables can have some "interior damage" along the length of the cable, that may allow some things but not others. USB cables have come down in price and it does not hurt to have a spare.

The only other issue is that your computer may be overtaxed. USB devices, as I am sure you know, draw power from the computer. If you have multiple devices you may need to buy a hub with an external power source.

Finally, there could be a problem with the software that came with the telephone that you use for transferring data.

The least likely problem is the actual phone. Also,as a final note, my son had a Verizon telephone, but there was a phone store that sold Verizon phones and services but other brands of charges and cables. They did not work. So, buy from the company that made the phone.

This cable works on and off. Anyway now that you have suggested, I shall get one of the same brand as the phone. Thanks for the valuable tips. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)