Is pinning to Pinterest a violation of copyright laws?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Tricia1000 profile image64
    Tricia1000posted 11 years ago

Is pinning to Pinterest a violation of copyright laws?

Unless you are pinning your own work and pin someone else's work, you might be violating copyright as you do not own the rights to this work.

2. DS Duby profile image83
    DS Dubyposted 11 years ago

only if your taking credit for the work other wise the picture should link back to it's original source.

1. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is false. Giving ceedit absolves you of plagiarism, but that's not going to help you with copyright at all.

Plagiarism is taking credit for work that's not yours.

Violating copyright is using someone else's work without permission.

2. DS Duby profile image83
      DS Dubyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

if you ask me it sounds like pinterest is just a lawsuit waiting to happen for content  writers, I retract my former answer and I think I will just delete my pinterest account. Thanks for all the helpful info.

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Since Pinterest uploads large-size copies of photos, storing those files on its server, competing with the originals in search engines, yes, that's a copyright violation -- making a copy -- unless you have permission.

Copyright is the legal and exclusive right of the copyright holder to decide who copies, distributes, and displays their work. Pinterest obviously violates that law, unless the copyright owner pins their own work or explicitly permits others to do so.

Pinterest's own TOS say that you have to have permission to pin images, and that its members are legally liable for copyright violations. They're covering their butts with that to make sure Pinterest members, and not Pinterest, will have to pay up in all the copyright lawsuits it may trigger.

1. DS Duby profile image83
      DS Dubyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pinterest does not believe it is vulnerable to lawsuits regarding copyright infringement and is protected under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
      We've reached out to Pinterest to find out what their official policy regarding images that potentia

4. janiek13 profile image76
    janiek13posted 11 years ago

I hope not, otherwise I am in deep doo-doo. Isn't the act of pinning to pinterest implied permission for others to repin your work?

1. Cappy Kalzoon profile image53
      Cappy Kalzoonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh god no, I have to settle with a photographer for copyright infringement regarding a repin.   I did repin something that the original pinner had no right to upload, that's how I fell in the vat of molasses.

2. Greekgeek profile image78

You may pin your OWN work: you own the copyright, so you can decide. If you want Pinterest users to share it and use Pinterest codes to embed it on their websites and make money with it, pin it!

It's illegal to do that to other people's work.

5. JenJen0703 profile image79
    JenJen0703posted 11 years ago

I use Pinterest to display some of my better articles. It helped to significantly increase traffic to some of my hubs.

Using Pinterest, in my opinion, is not a violation of copyright laws because you are displaying your own work. Even if you pin someone else's writings, all you are doing is helping them get more traffic. Using Pinterest is no different than creating backlinks at Xomba or Redgage.

Violation of copyright laws happen when you copy someone else's work and try to say you created it. It is not a violation of copyright laws to link others' work to your own, as long as the author receives credit for their work. I know it is supposed to be good etiquette to contact that person to inform them or ask permission, but I never do. For one, who is actually going to complain that you are helping them get more traffic? In some of my hubs, I use others' hubs for good karma on mine, as well as links to other hubs I have written.

I've been using Pinterest since they started and have had not been into any trouble for it.

It's copyright infringement even if you credit the original author.    Pinterest isn't just a link, you're uploading complete photographs.  Some people complain that they get no traffic from Pinterest, I guess we're wrong to assume they'll be happy.

2. Greekgeek profile image78

You need to read basic copyright law or you're going to run into trouble down the road. Copy RiGHT is the RIGHT to decide who copies your work.

In school, you were taught to give credit. This was to avoid PLAGIARISM. It doesn't help with copyright.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you're missing the point.  You're not pinning your article, you're pinning an image.  It's the copyright on that image that matters.  If you don't credit the photographer (for CC) then you've broken copyright.

6. Cappy Kalzoon profile image53
    Cappy Kalzoonposted 11 years ago

I understand that you should only repin your own works, or something that is donated to Wikimedia Commons or Creative Commons.  But even Creative Commons isn't 100% safe.  There have been lawsuits for material what was uploaded to Creative Commons without the photographer's permission.

Only a lawyer can answer this with certainty, but I believe the only truly safe pin is something that you created.

1. LillyGrillzit profile image78
      LillyGrillzitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks again Cappy for setting me straight. It is a sticky wicket we find ourselves in. Those who do produce unique content, and honestly hope to promote their writing peers, need to use extra caution when re-pinning. Yipes

7. That Grrl profile image72
    That Grrlposted 11 years ago

You have some leeway with fair use. Basically, if you only copy enough content to promote and lead people back to the original content (on the original site) it's ok to copy text or an image. But there is some difference of opinion about how much content is fair use. Everyone seems to have their own standards for that.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Fair Use" means you use only PART of the copyright work, so fair use can't apply to photographs.  You pin a photo or artwork that doesn't belong to you, you violate copyright. No grery area. Some people have already been prosecuted for it.

8. Learn Things Web profile image92
    Learn Things Webposted 11 years ago

To be safe, I only pin something if I own it or if it has a pin button on the article. I only repin, if there is a pin button with the article or if it was clearly pinned by the owner.

"if it was clearly pinned by the owner."  I got in trouble for repinning something that said "uploaded by user." The user had gone around a "no pinning" message by saving on his compy and uploading to Pinterest.  DO NOT REPIN ANYTHING

9. Tricia1000 profile image64
    Tricia1000posted 11 years ago

Thank you for all the responses.  It seems that even Pinterest is a great tool to promote traffic to hubs, we should be careful how we use it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)