Do you agree that coffee tastes better in a certain kind of cup?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. rutley profile image64
    rutleyposted 11 years ago

Do you agree that coffee tastes better in a certain kind of cup?

Plastic, paper or metal just don't cut it!

2. internpete profile image86
    internpeteposted 11 years ago

I have never really thought about this, but I do enjoy a normal coffee cup more than other types, such as glass, paper or whatever. I don't mind paper that much tho, since it is used fairly often at coffee shops. Interesting question.

3. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 11 years ago

I don't think so but my husband does. He will only use a particular cup and does not like the ceramic ones.

4. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

As a bona-fide "coffee snob,"  YES!   No plastic, no paper, no styrofoam, no metal...........Please..    and Thank you!   I do not go to the extremes to buy the very best and freshest coffee beans, grind them myself, per pot, use filtered water, organic filters and brew with care.......pure creamer.....to then destroy my masterpiece in the WRONG cup!!

5. tussin profile image57
    tussinposted 11 years ago

Well, everything tastes funny when you drink it from metal cups. And for hot beverages, paper cups lined with food-grade wax will slightly disintegrate, giving you small amounts of paper and wax in your drink.  I think plastic and ceramic cups are the best for drinking anything hot such as coffee.

6. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

I have a couple of special cups that I use to drink my coffee, one handmade stoneware and the other is just a painted design that I love.  It just makes me feel comfortable and relaxed as I sip my drink.

7. lhchan profile image63
    lhchanposted 11 years ago

Yes, I agree. I will use the special cup when I drink coffee.

8. Amy Becherer profile image67
    Amy Bechererposted 11 years ago

I drink coffee throughout everyday.  I think about the relevance of the cup, as I reach for one of an identical set of glazed, porcelain cups that I reserve for coffee.  I use cream and sugar in my coffee.  The precise amount is important.  The cups I use allow the perfect amount of hot coffee from the pot to add the precise combination of cream and sugar that satisfies my addiction.  The perfect cup holds the quantity I drink at the ideal temperature.  I find the porcelain construction of this set of coffee cups adds to the unadulterated purity of the coffee drinking experience.  The handle on this specific set is just the right size and set for ease, convenience and dexterity.  Even the white color and the simple black stenciled numbers (chosen by the buyer) offer aesthetic appeal that does not compete with the color of the coffee.  In short, rutley, I agree that my coffee  tastes better in my favorite cup.

9. Sue St. Clair profile image69
    Sue St. Clairposted 11 years ago

What kind of cup you drink your coffee from is not only one of the early decisions you make each day, it is also a vitally important decision.  To coffee drinkers, it matters what kind of cup and which specific cup you drink from. read more

10. kallini2010 profile image79
    kallini2010posted 11 years ago

I don't think it's the cup that changes the taste of coffee, but it's the emotion that the cup evokes.

If I don't like the cup - well, I don't like the cup and I don't want to drink coffee from it.

It's all in perception.  Once I pretended to be in rage and smashed one of the cups that did not even belong to me - but later I regretted it (maybe because I am an angry or aggressive type).

I would choose a cup and make it as a present and then end up using it myself for years.

My tastes in cup design are very consistent, but my mother likes to change them every so often.  My father probably could not care less, but the important thing is to have coffee fill the cup almost to the rim (and then he spills it, of course!, carrying it to his desk).  I guess leaving a reasonable room before reaching the room would spoil his senses.

I think it is the sense of beauty we are talking about.  If you went hungry for 30 days and had no coffee whatsoever, not a drop in sight, then maybe you would not care as much about the cup.

Aesthetics is a luxury and aren't we lucky that we have this problem of selecting what to drink from?

I think it's an excellent question!

I even feel poetic inspiration to write about my cup of coffee!!!

11. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 11 years ago

It probably does. What I don't understand are these HUGE cups that the French in French movies drink coffee out of. What's that all about? Wouldn't your coffee get cold fast in these HUGE cups that are almost the size of cereal bowls?

12. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

in my mug. I hate those tiny see through cups, too hot to handle. Mugs are ceramic made, gives the umph taste

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)